Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpha and Delta NR VS Zitron and Older Line

Alpha and Delta NR VS Zitron and Older Line

Just curious does anyone have experience with the current model of NR power cables versus the previous lines such as Zitron and earlier. Mainly interested in the Alpha/Delta NR and how it compares?

Thanks,
    Sam

Well, there's really not a comparison between the NR and the earlier ZiTrons, I think. The Delta NR has a lower noise floor and - although mine is new - has a "punchier" bass than either my Zi-Tron Cobra or Zi-Tron Python. And The Alpha HC has a low noise floor, but I think the Delta's is lower. I'll have to wait a week longer: I've only had mine for 4 days, so whether or not it's still breaking in, I don't know. I experimented with the power cords on the DAC, and then the amp. Given they have different power requirements, it turned out to be an apples and oranges experiment. When I had the Alpha HC on the Yggdrasil DAC, I thought it was the best combination, but I haven't put the newest cord on the Yggdrasil yet. Maybe I'll do that tonight. In fact, I will, and I'll give you my impressions next Sunday.
    I'm surprised no on else has commented, but then again, I think a great many guys who have the NRs went straight to the Sigma NRs. Too rich for my blood! Maybe someone bought an Alpha NR and can comment.
    "Deep and simple is far more essential than shallow and complex."- Mr. Rogers

Thanks Mcbrion and yes please report back your findings. And I can't afford a Sigma either lol. I saw where a Alpha HC popped up on Audiogon ($750) and has my interest but you seem to think the Delta NR performs better correct?

Here's my 2 cents. I had all Alpha HC power cords and replaced them with Sigma NR power cords in my 2 channel system. Prior to that I had purchased a Delta NR power cord for my projector. So when I took the Alpha HC's out, I figured let me try that on my projector instead of the Delta NR. It was night and day difference. Let me say that again, NIGHT and DAY difference. With the Alpha HC the colors had more pop, better contrast, and a brighter cleaner image.

Alpha NR over Alpha HC, but not Delta NR over Alpha HC.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Although I see lot of favorable ink on the Sigmas, I seem to recall reading somewhere Caelin saying he considered the new Alpha NR series the sweet spot in their new lineup. Like some others here, not sure I'm prepared to pay for what's best in this instance, but but certainly interested in getting close for a lot less.

I cannot compare the Delta NR directly to the older Zitron cables. But, I replaced the Venom Digital on my Rega DAC R with a Delta NR. The Delta NR is significantly better than the already very good Venom Digital. Lower noise and simply more music and details.

Quote Originally Posted by ken6217 View Post
    Here's my 2 cents. I had all Alpha HC power cords and replaced them with Sigma NR power cords in my 2 channel system. Prior to that I had purchased a Delta NR power cord for my projector. So when I took the Alpha HC's out, I figured let me try that on my projector instead of the Delta NR. It was night and day difference. Let me say that again, NIGHT and DAY difference. With the Alpha HC the colors had more pop, better contrast, and a brighter cleaner image.

Alpha NR over Alpha HC, but not Delta NR over Alpha HC.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have another Delta NR on the way and sold a ZiTron Cobra, and had to replace it with an old ESP power cord. That was pretty dismaying: Joni Mitchell's voice, all breathy and "present" with even a ZiTron Cobra, the "littlest guy on the block" in my system, compared to ZiTron Python, Alpha HCs and Sigmas, was back to a "good reproduction," but the loss of continuousness was evident, so I can't compare now.
    However, I still have the Alpha HC and when I have an all-Shunyata power cord system again, I'll put the Delta back in.
    I'm not surprised that video improved, but were you able to put the Delta NR into your audio system? I find video changes (of power cords) more startling than audio, so I'd do a "like-to-like" change, meaning placing the Delta NR where the Alpha HC is in an audio system. And then assess that way. I've always had trouble doing the "audio vs. video" changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I cannot compare the Delta NR directly to the older Zitron cables. But, I replaced the Venom Digital on my Rega DAC R with a Delta NR. The Delta NR is significantly better than the already very good Venom Digital. Lower noise and simply more music and details.
    With all due respect to the Venom line, I found a significant sonic disparity between it and it's slightly "older brother," the Cobra ZiTron. I couldn't keep the Venom cord: sent it back, so I"m not at all surprised that a Delta NR would surpass a Venom (regardless of its purpose (e.g. Venom digital vs. "regular" Delta NR) in any system. I think of Venom as a Junior High School member. Once you went up to Cobra, you were not only in High School, you jumped from 7th grade (junior high) to 10th grade (high school). Obviously with the new line, the Alpha NR (the only one I haven't purchased) would be a High School Junior student and the Sigma either a freshman - or even a sophomore - in college. But I'm sure that if I'd had - and placed - a Venom in place of that ESP cord I currently have, I'd be very satisfied, although I don't think Joni would return to the magical continuousness her voice displayed on her 'Travelogue' album. And prior to this, none of the Shunyata line displayed the continuousness it does now. It may have sounded fantastic, even magical, but in my (cheap-o) system (compared to others on here) it never displayed continuousness, something that was unique to, say, The Jadis line of components, or the ASL Hurricanes. But I haven't heard the upper, upper stuff that's out these days, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong. By 1997, after 15 years of buying SOTA components, but not feeling like I'd truly reached Nirvana, I burned out. These days, I'm happy to NOT do that. Except with Shunyata's power cords, which can advance a system quite a bit further with even just "very good" components.

I DO know that, eventually, I'll have to at least hear an Alpha. Except my local dealer is all Nordost and Transparent-bound. Their loss, given I one day took the Sigma (not even an NR) into their main showroom and unplugged their Odin power cable, put in the Sigma and only gave it 20 minutes to "settle" (so it wasn't even really ready for the comparison) and played Gimme Shelter. Merry Clayton's voice was so far superior on the (unsettled) Shunyata, it was disquieting. The dealer allows me complete access to his room, given I was once a reviewer (and a terrible piano player) , so i can just walk in and test out a newly purchased power cord - which I also end up rearrange his speaker cable and interconnects (he's very sloppy about that) so none of the cords/cables touch each other - something I hope none of you are doing. That's just aural suicide to have ANY cable touching ANY OTHER CABLE. And if you don't think it's audible, let me tell you this: it's audible on a mere 18-22K system, so it's GOT to be audible on yours. Anyway, It'll be fun to take in the Sigma along with the Delta NR and hang around a few hours to hear the difference.
    Last edited by Mcbrion; 02-13-2018 at 10:17 AM.

I never had the Delta in my audio system. I had purchased used Alpha HC cables for all of my audio equipment. After hearing how good the sound was, I tried the Sigma line. That was a big upgrade as well. I then replaced each Alpha with a Sigma one by one. I sold a couple, kept one for the projector, and just listed the other two for sale today.

Some very interesting points and reviews. I had on loan recently from the Cable Company a Delta NR and was instructed to use it on my Marantz SA11-S2 CDP. My amp is a BAT VK-55 and preamp a VK-31SE. The Delta was a big improvement over my previous cable. Then curiosity got the best of me. What does the Alpha NR bring to the table so the Cable Co sent me one. In a nutshell more air, dynamics, bass and I really hear "into" the music more. However, there is more clarity but this clarity can make some music sound thin and brighter which to my ears can be fatiguing over a period of time. Don't get me wrong I do like the Alpha NR but I feel I am wanting another cable to offset its tone or clarity. Of course this is in my system so others mileage may vary. I think these NR cables are great for source components but no so much amps or that has been my findings. The Alpha didn't sound like I thought it would with my Mark Levinson 27.5 amp. The Cable Co told me different components react differently to various cables so again without trying numerous cables it is hard to know what cables will do what.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast