Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alpha and Delta NR VS Zitron and Older Line

[QUOTE=sleeper22;495128]Some very interesting points and reviews. I had on loan recently from the Cable Company a Delta NR and was instructed to use it on my Marantz SA11-S2 CDP. My amp is a BAT VK-55 and preamp a VK-31SE. The Delta was a big improvement over my previous cable. Then curiosity got the best of me. What does the Alpha NR bring to the table so the Cable Co sent me one. In a nutshell more air, dynamics, bass and I really hear "into" the music more. However, there is more clarity but this clarity can make some music sound thin and brighter which to my ears can be fatiguing over a period of time. Don't get me wrong I do like the Alpha NR but I feel I am wanting another cable to offset its tone or clarity. Of course this is in my system so others mileage may vary. I think these NR cables are great for source components but no so much amps or that has been my findings. The Alpha didn't sound like I thought it would with my Mark Levinson 27.5 amp. The Cable Co told me different components react differently to various cables so again without trying numerous cables it is hard to know what cables will do what.[/QUOTE

I haven't heard the Alpha NR but can identify with that you said when switching to it. I had tried a Sigma Digital power cord and felt the same way you did when I compared it to my Alpha HC. I sold it and purchased a Sigma NR, which was an upgrade period.

You should look around and see if you can find an Alpha HC. They are not always easy to find, but you can get it in the $600.00 range. I would bet you would be happy with that on your amp.

[QUOTE=ken6217;495153]
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeper22 View Post
    Some very interesting points and reviews. I had on loan recently from the Cable Company a Delta NR and was instructed to use it on my Marantz SA11-S2 CDP. My amp is a BAT VK-55 and preamp a VK-31SE. The Delta was a big improvement over my previous cable. Then curiosity got the best of me. What does the Alpha NR bring to the table so the Cable Co sent me one. In a nutshell more air, dynamics, bass and I really hear "into" the music more. However, there is more clarity but this clarity can make some music sound thin and brighter which to my ears can be fatiguing over a period of time. Don't get me wrong I do like the Alpha NR but I feel I am wanting another cable to offset its tone or clarity. Of course this is in my system so others mileage may vary. I think these NR cables are great for source components but no so much amps or that has been my findings. The Alpha didn't sound like I thought it would with my Mark Levinson 27.5 amp. The Cable Co told me different components react differently to various cables so again without trying numerous cables it is hard to know what cables will do what.[/QUOTE

I haven't heard the Alpha NR but can identify with that you said when switching to it. I had tried a Sigma Digital power cord and felt the same way you did when I compared it to my Alpha HC. I sold it and purchased a Sigma NR, which was an upgrade period.

You should look around and see if you can find an Alpha HC. They are not always easy to find, but you can get it in the $600.00 range. I would bet you would be happy with that on your amp.
    What was your "previous cable"? You didn't mention was it was.
    "Deep and simple is far more essential than shallow and complex."- Mr. Rogers

I am finishing up a review this weekend on the Denali tower and the latest Delta power cords and signal cables. I have been very happy with what I have heard so far. Good value for the money.
    Writer, Part-Time Audiophile

Tape Revox A77 Mark III
    Digital PS Audio Memory Player and DirectStream DAC
    Analog VPI Scoutmaster, Lyra Cartridge, Audio Research Ref Phono 2
    Amplification Audio Research Ref 5SE & Audio Research VT100 with KT120s/Mundorf EVO
    Speakers Magnepan 1.7s
    Cables Synergistic Research Galileo and Atmosphere UEF Level 4, Furutech Silver Arrow II phono
    Power Conditioning Synergistic PowerCell 12 UEF SE, Shunyata Denali
    Recording AKG 414 BULS mics, Sound Devices 722

[QUOTE=Mcbrion;495433]
    Quote Originally Posted by ken6217 View Post

What was your "previous cable"? You didn't mention was it was.
    Do you mean previous to the Alpha? If so, it was the stock power cable. The Alpha HC was my first after market power cable.I went like 25 years with high end equipment and stock power cable until this past year. Crazy huh?

Going back to what I had said, I had the Alpha HC, then tried the Sigma Digital, and thought it sounded thin. I then tried the Sigma NR and found that to be the best. If I didn't have the money to spend, I could have been very happy staying with the Alpha HC.

Btw, I remember back in the day that Madrigal Labs (Mark Levinson) had said not to use either an after market power cord or power conditioner. I don't remember which. That "back in the day" would have been your era ML or maybe later during the 331, 332, 333 series. I don't know why they said that, or if that was a generic statement.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper22 View Post
    Thanks Mcbrion and yes please report back your findings. And I can't afford a Sigma either lol. I saw where a Alpha HC popped up on Audiogon ($750) and has my interest but you seem to think the Delta NR performs better correct?
    Well, I can't say it outperforms it, since they're in the same system. However, the Delta NR arrived today, and I put it in the wall socket to the PS Audio regenerator, and the system suddenly (I mean instantly) had bass kick like it never did before. You would have to be dead or asleep to miss how dramatic the change was. The Alpha HC is on the integrated amp. All I CAN say is that the Alpha never delivered that kind of bass punch. As well, there is a subtle "musicalness" to the new cord. I hadn' t really noticeda lessening of it prior to now, but I notice that it is more musical-sounding with the new cord (the cord I just sold was a ZiTron Cobra, and now I have the Alpha HC there). Some music is "prettier," meaning made with acoustic instruments vs. synthesizers, but not ALL music is that way. So, if it's a coloration, then it is quite artful at imposing itself on some music and not other music (The Clash still sound harsh).
    And it (the musicality) is more obvious with the Delta NR than with the Alpha HC, to my ears. It was, of course, only with the insertion of the Delta NR into the system, making all the power cords current (the Python ZiTron now being the "senior"-aged cord in my system), that I heard 1), the dramatic increase in bass weight, punch and power, as well as 2), the sense that the system now projects out towards you like Jennifer Holiday doing the climactic song in Dreamgirls: it just keeps coming at you. All I can say is, the Alpha, a very admirable cord, didn't do this. And I'm still using the NAD integrated (I keep breaking in things with it: next the Transparent coax RCA to the Yggdrasil converter), which spends a decent amount of time working, and IT was capable of delivering at least some of the bottom octave. Again, have had the Alpha HC for over a year - the bass power didn't increase.
    So, consider it. Mine isn't broken in, of course, but this is what it did out of the box. And I've had Shunyata cords since 2003. The only other one that made that great an impact on me instantly was my first King Coba V2, which flat out astounded me. This Delta NR is - unbroken in - one hell of a cord. I have a Sigma and I think I was less impressed with the Sigma (can't explain that, but them's the facts) than when I hit play and the Delta went all 'WHAM!!" over my head. Try it. And if you do, give it time to break in - a week should do it (yes, the cords still need break in time, although, going by the Sigma, these cords some out REAL good and just continue to get better without the "ugh-did-I-make-a-mistake-400-hour-stormy-seas-experience" that older cords sometimes invoked in a buyer).
    Last edited by Mcbrion; 02-17-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    "Deep and simple is far more essential than shallow and complex."- Mr. Rogers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12