Wilson Audio Master Subsonic Subwoofer

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Aluminum faceplate? Where did they get that idea, LOL...

The baffle of the Master Subsonic is made from Wilson X material.

The drivers interface only with X material.

The aluminum adds mass but it is fully damped by the X material baffle so as not to adversely affect performance.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
To me it looks like a subwoofer sized for big rooms, to go with their other offerings in the same color. For me to label SOTA I'd need to see some other T, technology, in it. For example cardioid and/or servo would be interesting. But they don't employ any of them. I'd stick to my initial thought, and look towards a custom Funk unit for less money, more tech. A single one of their subs, not a custom unit with multiple, can pull off 94db at 10hz.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That speaker system is making Jacob's racks look very frail :D

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The baffle of the Master Subsonic is made from Wilson X material.

The drivers interface only with X material.

The aluminum adds mass but it is fully damped by the X material baffle so as not to adversely affect performance.

Thank you very much for writing, metaphacts!

Are the three drivers in the Master Subsonic 15” in diameter?

Is the Watch Controller the only crossover or control system available for the Master Subsonic?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Again, price please.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Francisco, it doesn’t list the price of the Subsonics.
Maybe it’s all POA.
I’d just love to know what change I get from £1m after I’ve paid out for a pr Wamms, pr Subsonics, pr xover controllers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Maybe it’s all POA.
I’d just love to know what change I get from £1m after I’ve paid out for a pr Wamms, pr Subsonics, pr xover controllers.

Change on application, surely! :)

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
Maybe it’s all POA.

Ron posted on the first page:

So the set-up is $45,000 X 2 for the subwoofers + $5,000 X 2 for JC-1s + $4,000 X 2 for Watch Controllers = about $110,000 for the whole subwoofing system?

That is a lot! (But I like the height of the Master Subsonic Subwoofer!)

Alternatively, an all-inclusive REL Acoustics No.25 "6 Pack" = $7,500 X 6 = $45,000. I still like the speaker-level connection method of REL, so the subwoofer system (albeit Class D) inherits some of the character of the full-range amplifiers.

Wilson Audio told me a couple of years ago that there is no way to tap a speaker-level output to feed the Watch Controllers.

It isn't clear if the sub uses 3 x 12" woofers or 3 x 15" woofers. I'm still wondering why the need for the pair of controllers if the WATCH controller has stereo outputs?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
You do not need a pair of Watch Controllers. Wilson Audio recommends two of them to maximize flexibility so that phase can be set separately for each channel.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ron, do you think you'll need a subwoofer, with the Pendragon subwoofer towers?

If you are looking for sheer power, a serious amount, I suggest you look at Funk audio. They are not as musical as servo system, but they lay down monster power for very reasonable prices. The musical factor isn't that important for you given that the its not really "music" down below what the Pengradons do. I've read about people replacing JL subs with Funks, and getting more output with fewer drivers.

Trying to find an amplifier to go with your subwoofers can be a real pain, since there aren't as many super high watt amplifiers available that aren't built into subwoofers.
Very interesting, Folsom. I have been looking at the custom Funk 18.2 which is seriously expensive (but far less given its specs than a lot of dual-18", 8000 Watt self-amplified subs!...the Magico Q18 is 45K!)

When you say they are not as musical as servo system...i suppose the question is given that I love the Velodyne DD18+ but would love to see what happens when you add 3 more or a tower of them per channel...do you think 2 x Funk 18.2s (ie, 4 x 18" cones) is something that bears some semblance to those who have built an REL tower of 6 REL subs, etc...or would you suggest i just get more Velodyne DD18+s?

Thanks for any advice here. Its not to go deaf with bass...on the contrary its so that at low to moderate levels, the sense of space, hall are impeccable and effortlessly reproduced (and yes, from time to time, movie tracks are also mindblowing.)

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I used to have Velodynes, but find the JL Audio subs both faster and better to integrate. They have deep travel cones and the magnet is mounted on the back panel. Very affordable as well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks...which Velodynes did you have and which JLs? I have considered the Gotham before and know a local dealer who still sells them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing