Wilson Audio Master Subsonic Subwoofer

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Who has seen or heard the special Master Subsonic subwoofers which match the WAMM speakers?

How does the Master Subsonic differ from Thor’s Hammer?

What is the size of the drivers in the Master Subsonic?

Is the Master Subsonic a completely passive box speaker which requires a Watch Controller and an outboard amplifier?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
These photos are from MonoandStereo.com:

Wilson sub.jpg

Wilson sub floor.jpg

So . . . very different than the two 15" cones in the Thor's Hammer, we see three cones here. Are these three 15" cones? With an aluminum (rather than a Wilson "X" material or whatever) baffle?

These look like pretty amazing subwoofers!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Who has seen or heard the special Master Subsonic subwoofers which match the WAMM speakers?

Is the Master Subsonic a completely passive box speaker which requires a Watch Controller and an outboard amplifier?

Jacob Helibrunn is listening to them in his system. They need two Watch Controllers- we can see them in the right side, under the turntable.

Attachments

• a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,207

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Good eyes, Francisco!

Yes, I am aware that Jacob has them. He is the only person I am aware of who has them.

Can your eagle eyes discern what power amps Jacob is using to drive the subwoofers?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Good eyes, Francisco!

Yes, I am aware that Jacob has them. He is the only person I am aware of who has them.

Can your eagle eyes discern what power amps Jacob is using to drive the subwoofers?

No, but David Wilson is known to use Parasound amplifiers for subs in his room. Can we guess that the box close to the left sub is a JC-1? ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
So the set-up is $45,000 X 2 for the subwoofers + $5,000 X 2 for JC-1s + $4,000 X 2 for Watch Controllers = about $110,000 for the whole subwoofing system?

That is a lot! (But I like the height of the Master Subsonic Subwoofer!)

Alternatively, an all-inclusive REL Acoustics No.25 "6 Pack" = $7,500 X 6 = $45,000. I still like the speaker-level connection method of REL, so the subwoofer system (albeit Class D) inherits some of the character of the full-range amplifiers.

Wilson Audio told me a couple of years ago that there is no way to tap a speaker-level output to feed the Watch Controllers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Jacob Helibrunn is listening to them in his system. They need two Watch Controllers- we can see them in the right side, under the turntable.

I also notice a CJ GAT 2...presumably as part of his review of them.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I also notice a CJ GAT 2...presumably as part of his review of them.

He already reviewd it - did you miss it?
But for the Wamm he will probably use the D'Agostino's.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
He already reviewd it - did you miss it?
But for the Wamm he will probably use the D'Agostino's.

Actually, i did not miss it...thanks to you! I think you were the first to let me know he had published it.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

I have heard them. They are as magical as the WAMM Chronosonics. Huge cabinet and very heavy but the best bass I have heard.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have heard them. They are as magical as the WAMM Chronosonics. Huge cabinet and very heavy but the best bass I have heard.

stunning...would love to hear.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France

Best bass I ever heard was Leftfield in Leeds, but that is live not at home. But I can imagine the Wilson subs kick ass. The big deal with subs is always the way it integrates with the rest of the system, thus the speaker / main amp taps method can try to alleviate that. The timing and phase and room nodes, not an easy task at all. But to gain the last octave and set a foundation for the main speakers can be incredible if done well. The room plays a lot into if this kind of system is going to work IMO. It needs major work to avoid room nodes and peaks / drop outs. In fact I wouldn't even attempt it on a wooden floored house, concrete maybe....:rolleyes:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Thank you, Lee!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What’s the price of one of these bad boys? Does that incl the WatchDog crossover box?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ron, do you think you'll need a subwoofer, with the Pendragon subwoofer towers?

If you are looking for sheer power, a serious amount, I suggest you look at Funk audio. They are not as musical as servo system, but they lay down monster power for very reasonable prices. The musical factor isn't that important for you given that the its not really "music" down below what the Pengradons do. I've read about people replacing JL subs with Funks, and getting more output with fewer drivers.

Trying to find an amplifier to go with your subwoofers can be a real pain, since there aren't as many super high watt amplifiers available that aren't built into subwoofers.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, do you think you'll need a subwoofer, with the Pendragon subwoofer towers?

. . .

No, not at all. I just think the new Wilson Audio subwoofer looks like an interesting, state-of-the-art product.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing