What's wrong with this picture???

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Saw this at the second LAMM suite at CES (Verity Audio Lohengrin II Loudspeakers):

I get the advantage of single point connection. But what the heck with one skinny cable feeding half a dozen monster ones? If thicker is better, why not the primary cord going into the wall???

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is the whole deal:

I would cringe at those monster cables hanging off tiny connectors whether on the equipment or on the wall. Maybe these guys know something about electrical engineering but surely have flunked the mandatory mechanical engineering course :). I saw connectors half pulled out of wall socket with so much cantilever force on them.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I think when the LED shines directly in your eye, you are turned to stone.
What exactly are those, power cords?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Amir,

Many power cables conductors are woven in a spaced braid like geometry, to keep conductor spacing large and mutual crossing at proper angles. They are protected with annealed plastic sleeves having a large internal diameter, independently of the gauge of the conductors. Sometimes thinner cables have higher gauge than the thicker ones ...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Indeed, that is how this one was. Question I have is why that is good between the distribution point and the equipment but not to the outlet.

I have heard one argument which says that it is the equipment which causes the issues and the filtering occurs in reverse. But even so, you would think that putting the same at the last 3 feet would also be done. Why isn't it?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
disclaimer: I am not a believer in high-priced power cables in general, be they big or small.

I suspect if you asked them they would have attributed some magic to the little blue box and that the rest of the cords are needed to maintain high fidelity after that.

Or not. - Don

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
disclaimer: I am not a believer in high-priced power cables in general, be they big or small.

I suspect if you asked them they would have attributed some magic to the little blue box and that the rest of the cords are needed to maintain high fidelity after that.

Or not. - Don

I have found just the opposite :(

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
If they don't sound better, they at least look like they can do the hoothie-kootchie.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
This is the whole deal:

I would cringe at those monster cables hanging off tiny connectors whether on the equipment or on the wall. Maybe these guys know something about electrical engineering but surely have flunked the mandatory mechanical engineering course :). I saw connectors half pulled out of wall socket with so much cantilever force on them.

You hit on a good point Amir. Having used some thick, heavy cables recently, I would never go back. They just beat the hell out of the RCA connectors and had to have them eventually replaced on my amplifiers. But they also put a lot of strain on my preamp and phono section RCAs :(

Also, one thing I used to really like is the idea of the AC plug "locking" into the AC receptacle like Kimber products. You needed to lift weights to pull the connection apart.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
They just beat the hell out of the RCA connectors and had to have them eventually replaced on my amplifiers. But they also put a lot of strain on my preamp and phono section RCAs :(

Myles,
Do you remember the heavy RCA plugs of the top of the range Monster cables of the early 90's ? They were better than dentist teeth pliers to extract RCA connectors from equipment. Sometimes I only found something was missing on the amplifier when I was re-inserting another cable ...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,
Do you remember the heavy RCA plugs of the top of the range Monster cables of the early 90's ? They were better than dentist teeth pliers to extract RCA connectors from equipment. Sometimes I only found something was missing on the amplifier when I was re-inserting another cable ...

Can't say that I do :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Magic between the amps and the little blue box is just as credible as magic between the box and the wall outlet.

Tim

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Marty mentioned a device that the venetian forced everybody to use. Is that blue thing it?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Marty mentioned a device that the venetian forced everybody to use. Is that blue thing it?

More importantly Jack what is it and where can we get one? I'll be selling the mod to make that incoming wire way thicker.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Tom,

Just a minor correction. Those tubes are 6c33c Bs not GM70s :)

Jack

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Yes, that blue thing is the device supplied by The Venetian to restrict current being drawn so that exhibitors don't have good sound..... err.... trip the circuit breakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing