Sanken s-60w

eugen_syd

Jun 20, 2010
Hi everyone,

I am from Sydney Australia and I am looking for 4 x S-60W SANKEN IC's. Anyone knows where I can source them?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Eugen

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I chased that link for him :). It was a dead end. If you go to the shopping cart, they only carry their transistors now, not the ICs. I did provide a link in the other thread to a liquidator who might have it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

eugen_syd

Jun 20, 2010
Amir is right. I called them and told me that S-60W is discontinued. I followed the link from microstrip and looks like active parts have something. Wonder what the difference is between S-60W and S-60WS???? It costs just a bit over USD$25.00 which is pretty acceptable considering that I was quoted so far from USD$325.00 to $125.00 DIGITRON. Part seems to exist but everyone wants to do a KILL selling it.

Eugen

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I did a search and can only find the spec for the old one: http://www.electro-tech-online.com/...-s-60w-datasheet-found-s-40w_s-60w_s-100w.gif

Looking at it, it is a dime a dozen power amp. Pretty straightforward design so I would be 99.99% that the S revision would work the same. The only small risk is if the S designation had different voltage rating and such.

One thing you can do is buy one and repair one channel with it. If it works, you can then buy the rest. Note that this amp has no protection circuit. So you better be sure everything else is right before soldering the new one in. Have you for example checked the power supply? Pull out all the amps and make sure the supply voltages are right.

How did this cook all four amps anyway?

Alternatively, you can buy a new AVR and be done with it :D.

eugen_syd

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks Amir,

I love how you thinking. The amp still works. Left works front, right works only rear. When you switch to 2 channels only tries to double power so nothing works. When I bought the amp had 3 IC's in but I think one is dead. I can do a few thinks but I thought the nicest will be to have it as AKAI design it. I found some diagrams for AS1070 which uses the SANKEN S-40W with few mods can be converted and dropped the power. It is nothing amazing, just a nice built amplufier worth next to nothing today. Thank you everyone for reading my posting....

Eugen

eugen_syd

Jun 20, 2010
Hi people,

After the help from microstrip and some waiting the new IC arrived. They look so similar. Have a look at the pictures I attached. As Amir said I bought just one, actualy was just onbe for sell in E-bay and I got it from ACTIVEPARTS. have a look at the pictures. Anyone has any tech sheet on S-60WS or I should just connect and try? The amplifier is equiped with some protection for excessive currents but hopefuly will kick in before the processor burns. I'll give it a go, just $35.00 to loose. Any help will be much appreciated. Have a look at the amplifer: http://www.thevintageknob.org/akai-AS-1080DB.html . Actualy my version is without DB but is very very similar and very good looking.
Regards,

Eugen

Attachments

• S-60WS..jpg
    S-60WS..jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 3,898

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looks pretty hopeful with the same number of pins and shape!

Here are a few things to do before you plug it in. First take the *old* one and using a ohm meter check across 2 and 3 and then separately 7 & 8. It should essentially be an open load meaning very high resistance. If it is a small value like a few ohms, then the output in the old IC was definitely shorted out. This would be a good news because it would prove you are indeed replacing a bad part. Then measure between 3 & 5 and 5 & 8. These should show the same small value (.33 to .47 ohms). If they are very different or one doesn't show at all, then again the part was bad. If they do show the proper value, compare it to the one and make sure they are similar (won't be exact). Also check the outputs per first step on the new part to make sure you didn't get a defective part.

Next, set your multimeter to *voltage*. Turn the unit on with the amp still pulled out. Connect the negative probe of your meter to the metal chassis and then carefully, without shorting out multiple pin traces, measure what you see on pins 2 and 7. One should be a relatively high positive voltage and the other, negative. This would show that your power supply is OK. Spec shows +- 40 volts so you should see nominal values close to those. It is also possible to see zero on the bottom one and 70 to 80 volts on the other. If you see this, it is still OK but it means that your amp has an output capacitor which means it will have poor bass response. I suspect this won't be the case.

Of course you can just plug it in and see what happens :). But don't rely on protection circuit to save you. There are many ways to cook this IC which the protection circuit won't prevent. For initial testing, do not hook up the speakers. Power it on and put your hand on the IC. Make sure it is not getting too hot to touch. If it is, quickly shut off the unit (keep one hand on power and the other on the IC). And look and smell for anything burning. If all is well, then use your *voltmeter* (make sure it is in volt setting) and measure the output across the speaker terminals. It should be a value close to zero. If so, then turn it off, turn the volume down, and connect the speaker wires. Again, turn it on as I suggested with one hand on the power and another on the amp, being ready to quickly turn it off if something is shorted out still.

Good luck! :)

eugen_syd

Jun 20, 2010
Thank you Amir. You gave me some valuble information. I follow your procedure when I get home. I forgot to mention that when I purchased the amplifier was still running but when I took the cover off I notticed that one of the IC's was missing, someone took it out. Some butcher worked in it and as you can see in the picture pin 2 was broken on the original IC and fixed with some wire. However that IC was still working. There are 4 IC's in the amplifier (one each channel) and when I started 2 channels were not working. Maybe I am lucky and comes all good or maybe I can find some more of them at ACTIVEPARTS. Only charged me US$ 25.00 plus freight which makes it cheaper than what I expected. Thanks GOD for e-bay!!!!

Thank you Amir, I do get great value from this forum.

Eugen

eugen_syd

Jun 20, 2010
Hi Amir,

I just wanted to do a follow up on your instructions. All worked perfect for me. The only comment is that pin 8 is not connected anywhere. Took me a little bit longer as I revised with the occasion the 2 amplifier boards. I replaced all the stiff wires and all "pig tail" connections with crimped pins and softer wires. Now is much easier to remove and work on it.
All 4 channels of the amplifier work perfect.
Thank you again Amir.
Eugen

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Eugen. I am glad it all works again. Isn't it rewarding to bring something back to life that way?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
This is cool -- the first half-decent amp I made (back in HS, no need for dates ;) ) used four 50 W Sanken hybrids (modules) pretty much like the ones discussed here. I built a killer power supply from surplus parts and used it for years. Small world!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing