Looking for inexpensive amp/speakers to accommodate older audio equipment

pinkfloyd2000

Feb 1, 2018
Hello!

I am looking for the best quality -- at the cheapest price -- amp & speakers (I really only need 2, as there's no need for an elaborate setup) for my home office that will accommodate two pieces of older audio equipment. Specifically, a 1982 JVC KD-D30
cassette deck (and yeah, it's in damn nice condition!), and a Sony DVP-C660 5-CD/DVD changer.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not looking to spend all that much here. A combo package with amp and speakers would be fine, too -- or, separately.

Nice to find this forum, and many thanks in advance!

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
I'm note sure what is your budget but I have been having lots of fun with a Sony TA-E9000ES HT processor used as DAC and remote preamp. Its matching TA-N9000ES 5 channel power amp is set up in BTL mode to get ~200W/ch L and R and 140W for driving a passive subwoofer from the sub signal from the E9000ES. The speakers are rebuilt Yamaha NS-1000s and they are good. Not as good as much more expensive main setup but very respectable and fine sounding setup. I use an old Denon DVD for CD transport to feed the Sony processor with good results.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
For an integrated amp, you can short list an Accuphase E-202 or a Croft.
For speakers, you can short list a Yamaha NS-10 or a Von Schweikert VR-1.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing