How do you all feel when you return from a stellar demo?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For jazdoc, is Mike the neighbor that lays the golden egg?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sorry I don't understand Turkish. Is that a compliment or an insult to the neighbor's system?

None of them - your mind flies fast! The english version should be something like "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". Our own local version says that the eggs of the neighbor hens are always more yellow!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
What's the problem of being happy and content with what you have? Why would anyone voluntarily subject themselves to a continual state of neurosis? Not very healthy IMHO.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This might happen if you step out the first time or so to a new lawn. Can seem greener.

But if you are used to mowing neighbours' lawns on a regular basis as a hobby, it will take a really special lawn or a goose that looks like a black Swan to shock you. Also until you go to enough neighbours lawns, you might not be able to distinguish the goose from the gander.

Neighbours hens being yellow sounds like a jaundiced opinion

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, good off topic on topic comments.
Ked and I have had ongoing discussions about the merits of getting out of your comfort zone and hearing alternative systems, to challenge ongoing preconceptions of one’s own sound.
I can say as a result of listening to a dozen varied systems using SS and tubes, Paul’s system came closest to convincing me I could live w SS.
However even here, listening back at home confirmed to me I can’t easily do without the mids bloom of SETs.
But positive experiences recently have also confirmed that it’s in the area of true transparency that I could do with making more strides.
Listen, I don’t want this thread to give the impression I’m disappointed or frustrated with my sound. Quite the opposite, it still inspires me to listen every day.
The thread is really trying to ask the q of others if they return from a demo that is great across the board and superior in some, or all ways, to theirs, do they address it, and how.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Aren’t all audiophiles jaundiced?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The thread is really trying to ask the q of others if they return from a demo that is great across the board and superior in some, or all ways, to theirs, do they address it, and how.

After 40 years of this hobby, I don't worry about it. But I very rarely get truly seriously impressed by anything these days, because no matter what I hear I can always hear something not quite right.

I do like twaddling around thinking how I might do better though without spending much. Ked knows I'm a cheapskate at heart.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh, you can be a good egg and jaundiced too.
It also seems like the designers and dealers that do the best in this industry are the most jaundiced.
Hmm, a topic for another thread.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, as you know I was bowled over by your modded Duettas.
So much so that had I heard them 18 months earlier as originally planned, I may have very well gone down this path, running them here in a room very similar in size to yours.
Unlike Paul however, I was taken out of the spell at yours by those aspects of your sound controlled by your cheapskate nature (your words, not mine).
Hence yr demo didn’t quite come up to Paul’s in terms of system invisibility/transparency, although surpassed it in terms of dynamics and bass slam.
The other main Apogee demo I attended, despite having unlimited money and crazy level of components thrown at it, failed on some fairly fundamental levels of non transparency and poor synergy.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
This might happen if you step out the first time or so to a new lawn. Can seem greener.

But if you are used to mowing neighbours' lawns on a regular basis as a hobby, it will take a really special lawn or a goose that looks like a black Swan to shock you. Also until you go to enough neighbours lawns, you might not be able to distinguish the goose from the gander.

Neighbours hens being yellow sounds like a jaundiced opinion

As one who had a Kentucky blue grass lawn on two properties over 17 years, it's pretty easy to determine what a good lawn looks like.

Nice try Ked.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I can see Ked becoming a gardener.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Marc - what would be your gut feeling for change in my system?

Where would you spend the money if you had £20K to dump on it?

Just curious.

My recommendation for you would be to buy some ML Ascents (larger than Spire, non-microperf stators) because they can be had for next to nothing. Really. And I actually preferred them to stock Spires by a margin. However I am not saying they are anywhere near as good as Paul's re-worked Spires, which I have not heard.

I walked away from a Summit demo not too impressed as well. But driving equipment is very important to MLs and I personally like them with ARC kit. I heard some Summits absolutely sing with all ARC gear.

Ascents would be a £900 experiment with virtually no re-sell loss. You might even make money. In some respects they will shag your Zus, in others they won't. But a lot of the characteristics Paul's speakers have will be in the Ascent with larger scale too.

You don't need to keep them. Just have some cheap fun with them for a while. You never know though you might get the bug.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, you did ask.
So you know what I love about yr sound, 3 things:
1- amazing, TO DIE FOR, dynamics and wall of bass
Incorporating start/stop, dipole breathiness, lack of cabinet signature
2- great bloom and texture via fantastic synergy w your 211s
3- super room fit, so much superior to the Divas in room 5x the size
What was an issue, and opinions being like arses, we all have one, is that there was a tizziness or metallic taste in the sound that I initially incorrectly put down to the fact I was listening to ribbons, but now feel more accurately was your PC/streamer, maybe yr cables, maybe yr room acoustics.
It added an artificial frisson which took me out of the moment, and prevented the presentation being genuinely transparent and neutral.
My abiding memory was that it’s a fantastically compelling sound, that would remain compelling across all genres, and impart a certain larger than life impulse to proceedings, and that might begin to grate w me after a while.
I felt the same way, on a different musical attribute, when I heard the AG Trios about 6 years ago.
That WOW factor of larger than life stage and imaging started to wear when musicians the size of giants occupied every piece of music played back at me.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I'm with those who say that if you really can't afford it, don't listen to it. Yet realistically, one may come across great components and systems at shows and friends' homes. So nothing will fix an improper mental attitude. Yet wanting and lusting over something never killed anyone. :)

For those who are concerned about their rooms, one can get portable bass panels and portable SMT panels and transform their systems from mediocre to near world-class.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
When i was starting as An audiophile i lusted over demo's system and what not ,
But times have changed , these days its the other way around im very happy when i return home

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing