Do Sigma NR Power Cables still need to burn in?

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
I’ve seen that on the interconnect and speaker cables, burn in is a thing of the past. However I didn’t see that subject addressed for the power cords, specifically the NR generation of power cords. Is break-in time still the same? Several hundred hours? I don’t see any of the modules On the power cords that I see on the interconnect and speaker cable, so I was just wondering.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I’ve seen that on the interconnect and speaker cables, burn in is a thing of the past. However I didn’t see that subject addressed for the power cords, specifically the NR generation of power cords. Is break-in time still the same? Several hundred hours? I don’t see any of the modules On the power cords that I see on the interconnect and speaker cable, so I was just wondering.

That's not quite true. I installed the Sigma speaker cables a few weeks ago, and let them play continuously for a few days, and they sounded better Saturday night than on Friday night than on Thursday night. Burn-in might be reduced, but they needed time to settle into their new home. :)

I have the Sigma XLR ICs on order so I will see/hear if the same thing occurs.

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
This is from an email that I had received from Grant at Shunyata regarding breakin. It gives a good explanation:

"KPIP is one of the top 2-3 inventions of Caelin's in terms of a performance-added process. Similar to cryogenics, KPIP alters the molecular structure of metals in a profound way. We possess two cryogenic tanks and had been using them for all conductors and metals over the previous 17 years. With the advent of KPIP, these two tanks have been rendered obsolete because they do not make any difference in performance after the metals have undergone KPIP. For example, if we KPIP an interconnect, that product will dramatically outperform the same interconnect that had been cryogenically treated AND broken in and used in a system for two years or more. We tested this in many different systems, ours and our long-time customers, so that much we know.

Settling after shipment will always be required for electronics, speakers and cables regardless of the preparation at the factory and yes, it can take 3-4 days of use to re-set any cable after shipment. For new cables, it will take up to twice as long if no prior conditioning takes place, so a week and sometimes more. Additionally, prior to KPIP, all of our cable products would sound much worse on days 2-3 than they did on day one. WIth KPIP there is usually a "good" starting point, then only a improvement over time with no hangover on day 2-3."

Reactions: Johnzz4

Indy

Dec 14, 2014
This is from an email that I had received from Grant at Shunyata regarding breakin. It gives a good explanation:

"KPIP is one of the top 2-3 inventions of Caelin's in terms of a performance-added process. Similar to cryogenics, KPIP alters the molecular structure of metals in a profound way. We possess two cryogenic tanks and had been using them for all conductors and metals over the previous 17 years. With the advent of KPIP, these two tanks have been rendered obsolete because they do not make any difference in performance after the metals have undergone KPIP. For example, if we KPIP an interconnect, that product will dramatically outperform the same interconnect that had been cryogenically treated AND broken in and used in a system for two years or more. We tested this in many different systems, ours and our long-time customers, so that much we know.

Settling after shipment will always be required for electronics, speakers and cables regardless of the preparation at the factory and yes, it can take 3-4 days of use to re-set any cable after shipment. For new cables, it will take up to twice as long if no prior conditioning takes place, so a week and sometimes more. Additionally, prior to KPIP, all of our cable products would sound much worse on days 2-3 than they did on day one. WIth KPIP there is usually a "good" starting point, then only a improvement over time with no hangover on day 2-3."

Thanks for posting that!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing