So today I went to my first supervolcano...

SophiaSantiago

Jan 31, 2018
Hey everyone :) I'm new here and I'm studying Geology in University in my final year. Today I went to my first Supervolcano after spending years upon years being absolutely fascinated by them, but where I live there is none so I'm on my holiday and I journeyed to New Zealand to check out Lake Taupo and it absolutely blew my mind. Honestly, to see the area and to imagine the earth swelling before bursting in utter catastrophy in an area as big as this lake is just breathtaking.
So I wanted to know if any of you have visited any amazing sites of either active or extinct super volcanoes? What are your recommendations for the next one for me to visit? I was thinking Lake Toba but keen to hear your thoughts.
Also is there any Youtube videos or channels you can recommend to me? I feel like I've exhausted every video and I'm wondering if there is a few hidden gems that I have missed out on.
I would LOVE to see any pictures you took of your time up in the caldera if you have some too!
Thankyou! :D Looking forward to actively being engaged with this community!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I did Kilimanjaro, although I'm not sure if it is a 'super' volcano. The view from the top at 19,335.6 ft. (5,895 m) is absolutely breathtaking.

I cannot recommend summiting it to anyone, as this is relatively easy peak to reach.

SophiaSantiago

Jan 31, 2018
I am so jealous! I would loooooove to climb Kilimanjaro! I'm really surprised it was an easy peak to reach! Was that because they built roads to the peak?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing