Jimmy’s Audio System

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
This setup has evolved over many years and provided many hours of listening enjoyment.

IMG_1547.JPG

Today, the AMG Viella with 12” Turbo Tonearm was added replacing the Clearaudio Ovation.

image.jpg

Reactions: NickMimi

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Congrats! The AMG is an amazing turntable! I haven't heard the new "Turbo" tonearms yet, but I saw them at CES, fairly impressive stuff!

cheers,
alex

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Went to Axpona and somehow a 3/4 Vivaldi Stack followed me home to replace the Rossini. Created another problem to solve: more rack space, but for now I’m really enjoying this setup.
A1D0C648-F666-4DC3-B6B4-EBB7C6F73650.jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It is a beautiful system! Congratulations on the Vivaldi stack!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Really beautiful!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Went to Axpona and somehow a 3/4 Vivaldi Stack followed me home to replace the Rossini. Created another problem to solve: more rack space, but for now I’m really enjoying this setup.
View attachment 40016

Easy problem to solve...get a 2nd SilverStone rack :). I can assure you, putting each Vivaldi component on it's own shelf will derive significant benefits. I suspect the same for your Pass Labs power supply. And I hate to say this, but I to had Monaco amp stands. Getting Silverstone amps stands was like getting a new amp.

Congratulations, I know your in digital and analog heaven with your set up !! Welcome to the Vivaldi club !

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Which piece is missing? The transport or clock?

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Another great looking Pass/Magico system. Congratulations on the new digital source, Jimmy. It must sound wonderful. Did you reorient your system within the room? The rug, front wall and room treatments look different in the various photographs.

Everything evolves :). Until recently the system was always setup on the long wall as the room used to be a Music/TV room. I ditched the TV long ago and earlier this year asked myself "Why is the room setup this way?". I took a weekend to rotate the room to determine if it would sound better with the speakers on the short wall. The effort was worth it. Allowed me to pull the speakers further into the room and they disappear. Still playing with setup, but the room will be staying in this orientation. I borrowed some extra treatments (DAAD's) as well to experiment a bit with the room interactions.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Went to Axpona and somehow a 3/4 Vivaldi Stack followed me home to replace the Rossini. Created another problem to solve: more rack space, but for now I’m really enjoying this setup. (...)

Great move, congratulations! Are you still using the supplied clock and digital signal cables?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Transport. Still have all my CD's/SACD's, but made the commitment to rip them all a few years back and go streaming playback only.

When you get all settled, Jimmy, I'd love to know your thoughts on the clock (e.g. with vs without it).

Congrats, btw! Which digital and clock cables are you using?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Jimmy, I loved the Rossini when I auditioned it with Magico Q1 and Spectral/MIT at Goodwin's. I thought it was highly resolving and sounded very natural compared to the other DACs I auditioned with Al M. that day. The Vivaldi sounds fantastic in MadFloyd's system. I think they are both great DACs, but I have never directly compared the two to each other. Could you briefly describe the differences you hear?

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Thanks everyone. This was an unplanned / unexpected upgrade, and I am really thankful to those that helped make it possible.

Still using the stock AES & Clock cables. Once I can get some funds back into the stereo piggybank, I'll be investigating upgrades for those.

My work travel has me home the next couple weeks (but I know that can change quickly). I'll try to follow up with impressions once the boxes have played a bit and I have gotten some "me time" in the basement with them. Right out of the boxes the immediate difference was low end extension. Its as if someone added a sub and didn't tell me. I'm hearing depth and weight of my favorite acoustic bass tracks and drum tracks I've never heard before in my system.

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
Gorgeous system that I'm sure sounds spectacular!

tkcha

Apr 11, 2018
Hi my fellow AMG V12 owner , I own regular 12 inch arm so did you happen to listen to regular arm also what cart and phono cable you using and would you give more detail on analog set up please?

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Hi my fellow AMG V12 owner , I own regular 12 inch arm so did you happen to listen to regular arm also what cart and phono cable you using and would you give more detail on analog set up please?

Sorry for the delayed replay. Finally home for a couple weeks to catch up with the world.

I have heard the standard 12” arm, just not in my own system so cannot make a direct comparison. The table I brought home for audition had a Turbo arm with the AMG Reference phono cable, and that was the combination I went with. Cart is a Benz LPS, and using a ARC Ref 2SE phono stage.

Cheers,
Jimmy

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
View attachment 40016

Jimmy...beautiful system, what an upgrade after the show!

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Well 2018 has sure been a year of system refinements. Had the opportunity to compare the Pass XA160.8's to my XA100.5's and the new picture says it all. 1542414556493959248838600466795.jpg

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Congrats on the upgrade!

Would love to hear about the differences you witnessed by upping the power to the S3's (being a fellow S3 owner). I'm using the baby XA60.8's on my rig.

I may have missed it but, what is the size of your room?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing