Typhon QR

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Anyone know anything about the new "QR" version of the typhon? It has been on the website for a while but it just says "coming soon". If I had to guess it will have 3 of the big tubes in it with one being for ground. But I could be wrong.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
OK. I guess I will answer my own question here. This is some info I found elsewhere.

"The original TYPHON was a 'parallel' device. It connected to the TRITON via an umbilical cable that plugged into one of the TRITON AC sockets. Therefore, the TYPHON was not in the current path. It was simply a secondary noise reduction filter, although a very large one.

The new TYPHON QR is a series device connecting inline with the TRITON. So, the TQR connects to the wall socket. Then, the TRITON plugs into the TQR via an included umbilical cable.

Essentially, the TQR is a completely different device than the original TYPHON although it performs the same function as a performance adjunct to the TRITON. The only thing that the TQR has in common with the original is the chassis and faceplate design."

"Unfortunately, the technology in the TQR is completely different than the original and does not share any common internal parts. Additionally, since it is now a series device, it has completely different connectors on the back of the chassis. So, an upgrade path is simply not possible. Sorry. "

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
If you don't mind I will just copy what is going on the website.

Shunyata Research’s Hydra Triton power distributor was originally conceived as a reference caliber power distributor. As the project evolved, the Triton’s size and cost escalated beyond practical limits. The file-cabinet sized prototype was temporarily shelved while options were considered to reduce the unit’s massive size and weight. Designer Caelin Gabriel created a solution by dividing the original design into two separate units. The first chassis, dubbed Triton, served as the power distributor with eight outlets. The second chassis, dubbed Typhon, was identical in size and served as a dedicated pre-filter for the Triton. This design completed Gabriel’s original vision for the ultimate audio performance power distributor.

Since its release in 2011, the Hydra Triton and Typhon became the most critically and professionally endorsed product of its kind, receiving awards and accolades from recording professionals and the world’s top magazines. Pushing the boundaries of performance through design innovation and patented science has always separated Shunyata Research product designs from others in their category.

Hydra Typhon QR represents an advancement in technology and performance of the original Hydra Typhon. Technologies derived from the Hydra Denali Series have transformed medical-imaging performance in the high-tech field of electrophysiology. Gabriel has applied these and the knowledge gained in his 25 years of research and development into the new Triton v3 and Typhon QR products. The Hydra Typhon QR includes the QR/BB technology pioneered in the Hydra Denali. However, the Typhon NICs and QR/BBs are nine times the volume of those used in the Denali.

Subjective impressions of the Typhon’s performance include enhanced spatial and low-level detail information. Many reviewers report that it recovers obscured recorded information, unintelligible words, blurred instrumental passages or ambient information that may be buried in the noise floor. Although the Triton has been critically acknowledged for reproducing state-of-the-art scale and micro-dynamic contrasts in sound, the Typhon further solidifies instruments, voices and images as vivid three dimensional characters within the recording. Some report that it expands the depth of field, perceived volume of recorded space and spatial information to the extent that it perfectly recreates the venue in which the performance was recorded.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Alternative Typhon to Amplifier Application
The Typhon QR may also be used as a stand-alone unit to provide power to amplifiers. No Triton is required for this application. Simply plug the Typhon directly into the AC wall outlet. Then use the Typhon Umbilical cable to connect to the amplifier. This application requires a custom termination of the Typhon Umbilical to match the inlet of the specific amplifier. (Consult with your audio dealer)

TQR-Amp.jpg

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Any additional benefits from chaining one of the old style parallel units with this new inline technology?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Any additional benefits from chaining one of the old style parallel units with this new inline technology?

I have not tried that with the new Typhon QR. However, with the original Typhon some people would use multiple units on a single Triton or on a single power circuit. We tested up to 5 units before the improvement became negligible. Typhon's also have a very nice improvement for video. So many people are plugging them into their home theater systems.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
This looks very interesting Caelin. Are there grounding cables or devices coming soon as well?

Grounding cables are available in Delta, Alpha and Sigma levels if memory serves; I'm using Delta-level grounding cables with the TRITON v3
and the results are amazing. I'm contemplating trying an Alpha or Sigma cable (1) as a test as I've heard the results are demonstrably better!

The TRITON v3 is without a doubt the best power conditioner ever in my system and to my ears, all I'd hoped for in such a device be it
passive or any of the other active or hybrid (i.e. battery-based) that I've used over the years which is a very long list from some big names.

In short, the TRITON v3 is here to stay! The combination of a grounding plane in the TRITON v3 is the ultimate (for me) frosting on the cake
as they say,....I will post a more detailed review about the last few months of listening with this great pc.

As for the TYPHON QR (new) with new umbilical....thanks to a friend I've had the great opportunity to start testing one of these as of a week
ago in conjunction with the TRITON v3. It's effects on the overall musical playback experience are absolutely PERVASIVE; it affects every single
aspect of the experience and I'm stunned at what it does. As I'm only a week in, I'll leave it at that for now until I can form some more detailed
feedback and write a review. Suffice it to say that I liken it to the effects of adding a SOTA masterclock to a fine system,...it affects every aspect
of playback and reveals details and nuances over and above the fine playback experience already there; the only way to truly appreciate its overall
impact (like a great masterclock) is to then remove it from the system and hear what is no longer there as a result.

The TRITON + TYPHON QR 'stack' is a fantastic combination thus far...more detailed impressions to come!

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
As for the TYPHON QR (new) with new umbilical....thanks to a friend I've had the great opportunity to start testing one of these as of a week ago in conjunction with the TRITON v3. It's effects on the overall musical playback experience are absolutely PERVASIVE; it affects every single aspect of the experience and I'm stunned at what it does. As I'm only a week in, I'll leave it at that for now until I can form some more detailed feedback and write a review. Suffice it to say that I liken it to the effects of adding a SOTA masterclock to a fine system,...it affects every aspect of playback and reveals details and nuances over and above the fine playback experience already there; the only way to truly appreciate its overall impact (like a great masterclock) is to then remove it from the system and hear what is no longer there as a result.

The TRITON + TYPHON QR 'stack' is a fantastic combination thus far...more detailed impressions to come!

Yes. This is what I am looking for. I am on the fence about the QR since the original Typhon only made, at best, a subtle improvement with the Triton. So, I am a little hesitant about spending $9K for an unknown effect. I am fortunate that PG&E has a pole in my backyard, and they put a new transformer on it. Just for me. :)

Add in my new 200 amp panel and dedicated lines for the stereo, I have pretty good power to start. So, based on the Typhon v1, there isn’t much for the QR to clean up. I think. :)

Last edited:

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
Yes. This is what I am looking for. I am on the fence about the QR since the original Typhon only made, at best, a subtle improvement with the Triton. So, I am a little hesitant about spending $9K for an unknown effect. I am fortunate that PG&E has a pole in my backyard, and they put a new transformer on it. Just for me. :)

Add in my new 200 amp panel and dedicated lines for the stereo, I have pretty good power to start. So, based on the Typhon v1, there isn’t much for the QR to clean up. I think. :)

You should be able to get a unit to demo. I never spend that kid of cash without listening to it in my system first.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

A couple of months in myself and also have a good friend with a TRITON v3 who just got his Typhon updated to the latest model build and QR designation.
He's been texting me and calling every couple of days regaling me with stories of how blown away he is by the difference the Typhon QR makes; we both
have good power into the homes and have very different systems overall however we are both stunned by what the Typhon QR has done from day 1
and beyond....things just "SOUND LIKE MUSIC!!!"

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing