Opus1 vs. MSL Platinum

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
0.24 to 0.45 mV is only about 2.5 dB. Maybe you're not detecting that difference by ear.
It is detectable by ear Brian. But it is a non-issue. The Universe Premium plays almost as loud as the Opus1 at the same phono gain setting. It is a great cart. The "overall" tone the clarity I found comparable to the Opus1. I think abeibrov has a different ZYX model from me so I heard no tone inferior to Opus. It plays more lively than the Opus1. Presentation wise the image size of Universe Premium is a little bigger a little more up front. The dimensionality of Opus is better than the ZYX. Comparing side by side you would feel the ZYX a little flatter but this is only when you compare it with the Opus or the VdH. You can see into the venue deeper with the Opus. My personal opinion is the Universe Premium is too fragile. I broke it several times given same practice as other carts. Not a good cart for heavy hand user.

Last edited:

dave slagle

Apr 9, 2020
myemia.com
0.24 to 0.45 mV is only about 2.5 dB. Maybe you're not detecting that difference by ear.
Hey,

The math says that the difference is 5.5dB (20*Log(0.24/0.45)) which should be clearly audible. I have however found cartridge output numbers to be quite soft in how they are specified. Some quote at 3.54cm/sec and others 5cm/sec which is a 3dB difference. It is important to note that a 5cm/sec lateral groove has 3.54cm/sec stereo velocity @ 45° so the actual details of the test record get involved. The CBS test records typically list 5cm/sec lateral as the level with is 3.54cm/sec for a stereo pickup @ 45°. The Ultimate Analog Test record uses 7cm/sec lateral which is 5cm/sec @ 45°. Add in the possibility of peak vs. RMS level and you get another 3dB of "wiggle room". Some manufacturers like Lyra lay out all of the parameters of the test Output voltage: 0.25 mV@5 cm/sec., zero to peak, 45 degrees (CBS test record, other test records may alter results) and others simply give a voltage. Air Tight only lists an output voltage @ 1Khz with no mention of speed. and The few Zyx I looked at give 1Khz @ 3.54 cm/sec. If what should be a clearly audible difference in volume results in something that is barely perceptible, it makes me wonder if the measurement parameters being compared are truly apples to apples. Consider that 0.25mV RMS output @ 3.54cm/sec is equal to 0.5mV peak output @ 5cm/sec and it becomes clear why all of the test details need to be clearly laid out to make a fair comparison.

dave

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I think Airtight exaggerates a little with output voltage, other manufacturers such as Ortofon, Ikeda, Audionote only manage a maximum of 0.25mV from the 2 ohm coil of their generator. They create 0.45 from 1.4 ohms.;)
I don't want to assume that you are cheating, but it's strange.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I think Airtight exaggerates a little with output voltage, other manufacturers such as Ortofon, Ikeda, Audionote only manage a maximum of 0.25mV from the 2 ohm coil of their generator. They create 0.45 from 1.4 ohms.;)
I don't want to assume that you are cheating, but it's strange.
How much output you get from 1.4 ohms coil depends on the magnet used. Magnetic flux density determines the output and it is not the same with all magnets. The magnetic generator design also effects output. You can get either 0.25 mV or 0.45mV from same coil using different magnets.

ZYX cartridges have around 0.34mV output. 0.24mV on specs is based on 3.54cm/sec but standard is 5 cm/sec as @dave slagle mentioned earlier. Benz micro also uses 3.54 cm/sec and their cartridges have relatively higher output than specified.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
unfortunately i don't have an opus, one could easily measure it. Sample 1 kHz test tone then no Riaa equalization is required. Just measure with an mV meter at the end of the tonearm wiring. at 1.4 ohms there is only a single-layer winding, from 4 ohms a two-layer winding could generate a voltage of more than 0.4mV. I remain skeptical, otherwise opus would have reinvented the wheel.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Does anyone who own/owned the Opus 1 have cantilever offset? It’s been reported in another forum that the some Opus 1 cantilevers can be off by a few degrees causing owners to Mount the Opus 1 with a slight Offset to make up for the the cantilever being off. For a 15k cartridge, I would not expect to hear about such things. This is the first I have heard about any high priced cartridges having such issues.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Dear Tango,
would you please write a similar wonderful detailed and differentiated comparison between these two very nice cartridges, as in your first report, but with all those experiences in the last 5 years and for the full break-in cartridges?

Or any other user with direct comparisons? Johan has already posted some nice insights in the Fuuga thread.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Dear Tango,
would you please write a similar wonderful detailed and differentiated comparison between these two very nice cartridges, as in your first report, but with all those experiences in the last 5 years and for the full break-in cartridges?

Or any other user with direct comparisons? Johan has already posted some nice insights in the Fuuga thread.
Tango has left the building ! :(

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Reactions: Lagonda

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dear Tango,

he would have recommended the opus. You can search on Opus mentions by tango.

If you are searching for a cart, read up the Dava thread too

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
he would have recommended the opus. You can search on Opus mentions by tango.

If you are searching for a cart, read up the Dava thread too
Tango has left the building, but he obviously still has representation in WBF ! All contact can be made trough his agent Ked ! ;)

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Tang,

don't know about your writing in Thai, but I love your writing in English. I wish I, and many others, could do as well. you say with few words, what myself and many others (English as first language) cannot quite say with many.

I really enjoyed this cartridge comparison. thank you.

best regards,

Mike
Dear Mike,

That was one of the nicest things I have read so far on this forum - period?! Everyone does the best one can. Not everybody has english as their first language - so it’s not THAT easy to express what one hear or feel every time. I think Tang did very good on his comparison ;) and I was pleased with what I read. I have had both carts here and could relate to Tang’s report. Very nice.

Dear Mike, it seems that you are a very nice and kind man;)!

All the best

/ Johan

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Took DDk and Audiophile Bill with him.
It would appear that Tango had taken a step back from involving himself with , and posting on the forum quite some time before recent events involving dd Karmeli.

Likewise, Bill decided to take a sabbatical from the forum entirely for his own personal reasons … and they bare no correlation with any recent events involving the two individuals that you make reference to.

Perhaps it would be best were yourself and certain other members that have alluded to some correlating conspiracy theory to kindly refrain from attempting to embroil Bill in such machinations please .

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
It would appear that Tango had taken a step back from involving himself with , and posting on the forum quite some time before recent events involving dd Karmeli.

Likewise, Bill decided to take a sabbatical from the forum entirely for his own personal reasons … and they bare no correlation with any recent events involving the two individuals that you make reference to.

Perhaps it would be best were yourself and certain other members that have alluded to some correlating conspiracy theory to kindly refrain from attempting to embroil Bill in such machinations please .
Yes, I’m aware of the chronology of the events, but all of them don’t seem to be coincidental

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing