Believe High Fidelity Ltd is the North American Distributor for:

Aries Cerat Ltd
    Torqueo Audio
    Vermouth Audio Cables
    Etsuro Urushi Cartridges
    Primary Control
    Echo Diastasis
    Top Wing

Kassandra LE DAC wins Best DAC of 2016/2017 with reviewer purchase @ Mono & Stereo! Article here

Like us on Facebook!

Email: j@Ibelieveinhifi.com
    Web: www.ibelieveinhifi.com

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Believe High Fidelity View Post
    Spooky real on this video. I could hear the phone ringing in the album
    Lol. That was his turntable resonating, once stacore reaches you won't hear it
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

I am wondering what kind of cantilever does Opus -1 have? It should be boron but Jonathan Valin in his review said ultra-hard duralmin...

Quote Originally Posted by Dvuc View Post
    I am wondering what kind of cantilever does Opus -1 have? It should be boron but Jonathan Valin in his review said ultra-hard duralmin...

He is correct it is just like the signature gold MSL
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Thx Peter. Difference in cantilever can explain sound difference between Opus - 1 and Signature Platinum. Similar like cantilever difference between Eminent GL and PC-1 Supreme ( same motor )

Quote Originally Posted by Dvuc View Post
    Thx Peter. Difference in cantilever can explain sound difference between Opus - 1 and Signature Platinum. Similar like cantilever difference between Eminent GL and PC-1 Supreme ( same motor )
    Yes, I think I read somewhere, perhaps an early review of the Opus1 by Valin, that there are two design features of the Opus1 which are borrowed from the MSL Signature Gold. The cantilever is one of them. Perhaps the designer liked what he heard with the Sig. Gold which he developed after the AirTight Supreme and incorporated some of that sound in the Opus1 which followed. Then the Signature Platinum followed that. Internal impedance and output are other areas where these four cartridges can be compared and contrasted.
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Would you mind making a video of the same Keb Mo song on the EMT/Atlas so that I can hear your version of heaven?
    Here it is Peter. I will make it easy for you.

EMT 927/Ortofon 297/AtlasSL

AF1/SAT/MSL

Kronos/SAT/Opus1

Have fun

Tang

Fun indeed, Tang. Thanks so much. They are all great, but different. I agree with you that the Atlas "Lyra sound" does not sound in your system as it is described is some others. I went back and forth many times, and though I realize these videos through computer and headphones are not what you hear live in your room, I did hear noticeable differences. I like the high frequencies and sense of ease with the MSL. I also like the control and even sound of the Atlas. The Kronos/Opus is my least favorite because of the slightly soft transients to the guitar plucks. It might better with massed strings and female voice. The Atlas sounds like it has qualities of both the Opus and the MSL. I'd have a hard time choosing between the Atlas and MSL combinations with this particular recording. It might be easier listening to the actual system. Again, I love the silence of the grooves. Non audiophiles would be astonished that vinyl can sound like this.

I really appreciate the time you spent recording and sharing these videos. You have a real passion and incredible system and collection of vinyl sources. It will surely be fascinating to see what the American Sound and 3012R bring to mix.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! MadFloyd's Avatar
    This was fun to listen to. Which one is the Lyra Atlas? Neither - 'BKK' or 'MSL Plat' say Lyra or Atlas to me....

I liked the Kronos/Opus 1 presentation of the vocal although I don't know if it was supposed to sound that way as it was very full sounding (and many modern blues recordings tend to be EQ'd to sound old and 'authentic'...). The guitar did not have as much sparkle with this combination.

The first two combos sounded very similar to me.
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods Amplification: CAT JL7s, CAT Legend, CH Precision P1
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / SCPS-1 / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon / dCS Upsampler / Schiit Yggdrasil DAC
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna cables / Shunyata Denali 6000T, Sigma Zitron PC's / Furutech outlets
    Misc: Steve Blinn Designs rack & amp stands

I didn't think that you could hear major differences this way but it's very clear and only one sounds natural and un-hyped .

The other two are more or less interchangeable.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Here it is Peter. I will make it easy for you.

EMT 927/Ortofon 297/AtlasSL

AF1/SAT/MSL

Kronos/SAT/Opus1

Have fun

Tang
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast