Van den Hul Goes Off the Deep End

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I dont know, kinda reminds me of another individual that mysteriously disappeared and reports of using his amazing field generator to musical bliss but then feeling stupid for a couple days after.
Sorry give me speakers and let them do their best, i don't need stuff messing with my mind creating and a "force field" for lack of a better word, in my listening room.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Scalar_wave

http://quwave.com/Scalar-Waves.html

https://jmag0904.wordpress.com/2013/05/25/what-are-scalar-waves/comment-page-1/

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
There is something to these emitters and resonators in the listening room. The brain tries to make sense of things it sees and hears based on past experience. Listening and sight both involve a lot of brain processing. These devices evidently trick the brain by emanating sounds that are beyond audibility, but do have an effect. I liken it to shining an artificial light of a certain frequency on a scene or using filtering sunglasses. It will enhance the image.

I think it overcomes to some extent that problem of the recorded venue being different than the playback venue and the transducers in the speakers not having perfect dispersion or located where the original instruments and performers were in the space.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I dont know, kinda reminds me of another individual that mysteriously disappeared and reports of using his amazing field generator to musical bliss but then feeling stupid for a couple days after.
Sorry give me speakers and let them do their best, i don't need stuff messing with my mind creating and a "force field" for lack of a better word, in my listening room.

Unsurprisingly, you can get here directly from the link on scalar waves!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
“The Extender.

Listening to reproduced sound by any loudspeaker system in all kinds of listening situations made it clear to me that in the sound reproduction of a typical audio system, something essential was missing. That was the feeling of being really physically in the concert hall or jazz café.

The creation of The Extender was based on the search to find this "lost" live experience in any sound reproduction.

However, The Extender produces no sound-field, is therefore literary no super-tweeter. You cannot measure or hear any sound coming from The Extender.

The Extender emits a signal which communicates direct with the brain. Limited loudspeaker performance, colored acoustics, or even some ear defects are hereby bridged. These acoustical limitations in sound reproduction do therefore play no essential role anymore.

The sonic effect after connecting The Extenders is that the reproduced sound has suddenly natural space, depth, a very high definition, and an easy listening. You have the feeling you are facing the musical performance. You are "live" and "there," which was the aim for the creation of The Extender.”

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ya, except physics matters. This is just a fluff device. Maybe you'll love it, but it isn't fixing the physics of recording and playback. It's just pumping RF into the amplifier feedback.

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
It's too bad that being so exotic, it's unlikely anyone with the most basic of measurement tools will get near it. I'd be curious to check the impedance at low and high level. Remember this is in parallel with your speakers hanging off the amplifier. For all we know the LED power supply spits some noise back into the speaker, or the box loads the amplifier enough to make for some audible difference or instability. Who knows with these magic boxes. All of the above are much more likely than the wild theories being dreamed up for the marketing blurbs.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It's too bad that being so exotic, it's unlikely anyone with the most basic of measurement tools will get near it. I'd be curious to check the impedance at low and high level. Remember this is in parallel with your speakers hanging off the amplifier. For all we know the LED power supply spits some noise back into the speaker, or the box loads the amplifier enough to make for some audible difference or instability. Who knows with these magic boxes. All of the above are much more likely than the wild theories being dreamed up for the marketing blurbs.

+1

Just like the findings in those studies that claim that we humans can perceive sounds above 20 kHz under regular circumstances can be explained more plausibly in conventional terms that have nothing to do with 'ultrasonic hearing'.

We can hear no more past 20 kHz (if even that) than we can perceive UV light. Bees do see the latter.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
So it is of your opinion that the device is "emitting" a signal back into the signal path and coloring the sound rather than emitting a waveform into the room?
I read it as the later and Jon Iverson thoughts lept to the front of my mind.
Curious as to what really is inside this magic box.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Well according to the link provided by Hi-FiGuy a scalar wave generator converts electricity into heat. Quite clever and I imagine very expensive!* ;)

*I don't know what the device does and while it's fun to kid I do keep an (skeptical) open mind...

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
+1

Just like the findings in those studies that claim that we humans can perceive sounds above 20 kHz under regular circumstances can be explained more plausibly in conventional terms that have nothing to do with 'ultrasonic hearing'.

We can hear no more past 20 kHz (if even that) than we can perceive UV light.
+2 It is also stated that it sends signals to the brain which, considering its distance from the listener's brain, would require a power output that would be dangerous.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ya, except physics matters. This is just a fluff device. Maybe you'll love it, but it isn't fixing the physics of recording and playback. It's just pumping RF into the amplifier feedback.

Curiously physics only matters in devices we do not own or do not care about. As soon as they are inserted in our system we forget about the physics ...

Internet audio gossip and marketing ... Again and again ...

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Curiously physics only matters in devices we do not own or do not care about. As soon as they are inserted in our system we forget about the physics ...

Internet audio gossip and marketing ... Again and again ...

Speak for yourself.

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
So it is of your opinion that the device is "emitting" a signal back into the signal path and coloring the sound rather than emitting a waveform into the room?
I read it as the later and Jon Iverson thoughts lept to the front of my mind.
Curious as to what really is inside this magic box.

I'm not sure if the question was directed at me, but it's clear the Van Den Hul believes it's the latter.

I'm suggesting that many start tinkering with wild ideas and in the process of focusing on such, don't realize what else they've done and how that might actually affect something audible.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I'm suggesting that many start tinkering with wild ideas and in the process of focusing on such, don't realize what else they've done and how that might actually affect something audible.

+1!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm not sure if the question was directed at me, but it's clear the Van Den Hul believes it's the latter.

I'm suggesting that many start tinkering with wild ideas and in the process of focusing on such, don't realize what else they've done and how that might actually affect something audible.

Given some products out there, you surely must be right. But I think it is normal to understand, and then have the extreme battle to advertise what was done because it is offensive in concept. That could at least be true for anyone making a copy-like product.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Perhaps there is a big block of Hashish that starts smoldering inside the box once its engaged. I cant image what else they could put in there that explains the price of admission or the results :D

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Perhaps there is a big block of Hashish that starts smoldering inside the box once its engaged. I cant image what else they could put in there that explains the price of admission or the results :D

..hence the contents in the bowl of Mr Robinson’s pipe

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing