A visit to Z Axis Audio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Paul, it’s all in the implementation. Your bearing down on addressing weaknesses in the Spires, getting powerful yet self-effacing amps, a truly exceptional analog blend, and gilding the lily with heroic addressing of power and vibration control, has produced your stellar sound.
There was none of this at the Neoliths roll out.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, I’ve never known anyone so enthusiastic for their choice, yet so adamant others shouldn’t risk it. I think you’re taking pride of ownership to new levels .

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
No it is you who shouldn't risk it after all you have said and the doubts in your mind. It is complex in that their head of yours. And I mean that in a friendly way.

That said, you are always free to phone up Jon and get it sorted. I am not stopping you - you are:)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Even I don’t want to spend too much time in that mind of mine.
Yep, Jon is able and willing. I’m sure Paul could acquire a set of Spires and do his thing too.
You also still need to listen to my well-sorted Zus to see where I’ve always been coming from.
I remain committed to SETs bloom in midband and midbass shove of my Zus. But I’m open minded enough to realise my sound doesn’t match up to yours and Paul’s in terms of sheer dynamics/wall of bass (you), sublime naturalness (Paul).

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
They're all just different systems with different compromises. Who is to say which is really better?

Send me a helicopter and I'll be round to listen to yours in a flash:)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, everything in high end audio is a compromise. It’s what we value, and trying to balance pros and cons, that can make or break a system.
If I take the three systems that really speak to me, your Duettas, Paul’s Spires and Barry’s AG Duos, they all do many things superior to mine.
However my system does a few things superior to these.
And on balance it’s still the system I’m happiest settling on long term.
But it’s fascinsting to hear systems with presentations very different from mine that are so successfully blended, to present different takes on familiar music, and show me things I need to improve upon and emulate.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I wanted to get a pair of stock Spire's here when I completed these but understandably the dealer then was not at all interested in it! But yes Justin it would have been good to compare the two side by side for sure. I did think that the speakers were good to begin with though, and "worthy of some small changes" I thought back then :) though each time I have heard stock ML's since, either Summit, Summit X, 11a and 13a, Montis, the tranparency wasn't anywhere near the same, and the bass in mine is far less bloated and more controlled and reveals tone better. Just to point out though that the 10" bass unit is still mounted in the original placement below the panel, with only the electronics and crossover moved to the external cabinet, which may get a rebuild at some point as these are not quite truly finished. These run off the Symetrica too which is a must. Early experiments with Bal power was only on the speakers years ago when these ML's were stock, running each speaker from an airlink transformer and that clearly demonstrated that it worked but they did hum a bit, hence using the big DC filter now in the Symetrica.

The marriage of the CF ZL-200 mono's and these does work very well though as these dip to below 1ohm at hf, so clearly the amps can deliver the current required from just 8 Mosfets per channel in BTL configuration. This can give amazing power and dynamics and often provokes a '**** me' moment.. I wish there was more talk on here about ML's, and Marc, I didn't realise you heard the Neolith unveiling, was this at KJ? To hear that these surpass that set up is a nice thing to hear! Thank you! Fwiw, I put the Neolith as a choice on Davey's thread along with the Nautilus which I'd love to try here if anybody has any kicking around? lol..

I heard the Neolith once at Munich with Moon amps. I thought they were pretty good. I would have preferred them with some capable valve monos, of that I am sure.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Didn't like that set up

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
One thing I loved about Paul’s setup was a level of transparency/system invisibility that I rarely hear ie a system that you “don’t” hear.
So many systems are impressive (even more the opposite), and seemingly see (hear) thru, but some aspect of component character, tonal bias, highlighting of one attribute or another, in effect gives the game away.
It’s easy to pick this up in systems that don’t speak to me, but almost never does it not happen even in entertaining rigs.
There was a truly non fatiguing flow to Paul’s sound that just drew me in, and never alerted me that a system was playing. That in itself was my biggest conclusion, and even though I don’t know how Paul achieved it so well, I do know it took hard work, trial and error.
Amending speakers, powerful but understated amps, excellent tt drivetrain updated to 2017 standards, a stellar arm/cart/phono combination, attention to detail on his racks, cables and balanced power.
A real masterclass in getting it as right as possible.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I know. New MLs though. Many talk of panel break in and I guess I factored both that and solid state gear into the equation.

Panel break in is weird. With all the stators I went through and chucked in the bin, some got a lot better with time and some seemed to be ace from the word go but all ultimately deteriorated with age.

Like humans?:)

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
One thing I loved about Paul’s setup was a level of transparency/system invisibility that I rarely hear ie a system that you “don’t” hear.
So many systems are impressive (even more the opposite), and seemingly see (hear) thru, but some aspect of component character, tonal bias, highlighting of one attribute or another, in effect gives the game away.
It’s easy to pick this up in systems that don’t speak to me, but almost never does it not happen even in entertaining rigs.
There was a truly non fatiguing flow to Paul’s sound that just drew me in, and never alerted me that a system was playing. That in itself was my biggest conclusion, and even though I don’t know how Paul achieved it so well, I do know it took hard work, trial and error.
Amending speakers, powerful but understated amps, excellent tt drivetrain updated to 2017 standards, a stellar arm/cart/phono combination, attention to detail on his racks, cables and balanced power.
A real masterclass in getting it as right as possible.

Thank you again Marc, your praise is nice to read after dealing with 'difficult' clients this evening! Getting this system to be the way it is has been a lot of trial and quite a few errors I can re assure you ;)

Justin, yes, like humans :) Sorry I never did get down to hear your Duetta's after you got them back, maybe one day? I'd also love to hear Barry's horn system sometime..

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Difficult clients? In high end audio? I’ve never heard of such a thing . Too bad.
They should have been able to chill out taking in yr sound.
I can help re visit to Barry. But do PM him yourself, he’s a v friendly generous soul.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Justin, yes, like humans :) Sorry I never did get down to hear your Duetta's after you got them back, maybe one day? I'd also love to hear Barry's horn system sometime..

Never was without Duettas. The latest ones were built while I had the original refurbished version.

Sure you can come round if you like. PM me first though.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Difficult clients? In high end audio? I’ve never heard of such a thing . Too bad.
They should have been able to chill out taking in yr sound.
I can help re visit to Barry. But do PM him yourself, he’s a v friendly generous soul.

Marc, no they weren't audio client's, just 'regular' folk with with way too much money.. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing