Connecting my iMAC to my DAC

trev

Apr 3, 2015
Norfolk U.K
I recently went from a MacBook Pro to an iMac and on the MacBook, it was connected to my Arcam D33 DAC via an optical cable via the headphone socket on the MacBook but I have now discovered the headphone socket on the iMac does not double up as an optical output like it did on the MacBook.

On the DAC end, I have already used the only USB input for a Melco N1A streamer and the 2 digital Coaxials inputs for a Sonos Connect and a CD player so that leaves 2 optical inputs on my DAC available.

So the only thing I can think of is something like these. I have no experience with anything like this though.

https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/x1-usb-spdif-converter.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMSL-X-u...962766?hash=item5418b7f88e:g:ABYAAOSw5ZBWFhrR

So as far as I can see i could use a USB output on the iMac via the converter then into an optical input on the DAC.

When I listen to my iMac through my main system its never critical listening its only things like exploring new bits of music occasionally on Youtube etc so im never expecting it to be out of this world quality wise, Its nice to have the option though to listen to whatever I’m doing on my iMac through the main speakers.

Just wanted to check I’m not missing anything else or anything better or if you guys have any ideas or thoughts please let me know.

Looking forward to any suggestions and thoughts you may have.

Cheers

Trev

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
I recently went from a MacBook Pro to an iMac and on the MacBook, it was connected to my Arcam D33 DAC via an optical cable via the headphone socket on the MacBook but I have now discovered the headphone socket on the iMac does not double up as an optical output like it did on the MacBook.

On the DAC end, I have already used the only USB input for a Melco N1A streamer and the 2 digital Coaxials inputs for a Sonos Connect and a CD player so that leaves 2 optical inputs on my DAC available.

So the only thing I can think of is something like these. I have no experience with anything like this though.

https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/x1-usb-spdif-converter.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMSL-X-u...962766?hash=item5418b7f88e:g:ABYAAOSw5ZBWFhrR

So as far as I can see i could use a USB output on the iMac via the converter then into an optical input on the DAC.

When I listen to my iMac through my main system its never critical listening its only things like exploring new bits of music occasionally on Youtube etc so im never expecting it to be out of this world quality wise, Its nice to have the option though to listen to whatever I’m doing on my iMac through the main speakers.

Just wanted to check I’m not missing anything else or anything better or if you guys have any ideas or thoughts please let me know.

Looking forward to any suggestions and thoughts you may have.

Cheers

Trev

Which iMac do you have? My iMac 5k, late 2015, has a headphone jack that doubles as a TosLink connection. I drove the DAC on my Accuphase CD player that way for years. I just installed a dedicated MacMini yesterday, also through the optical output of the headphone jack. I’ll be moving to a USB DAC in the near future.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
You will need a USB converter. There are lots of these out there, the best of which is probably the Berkeley. Just google "USB converter". Some have Toslink outputs. Look for XMOS inside for the best result.

BTW, your Sonos can sound a LOT better, even better than your streamer:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154310.0

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

trev

Apr 3, 2015
Norfolk U.K
Which iMac do you have? My iMac 5k, late 2015, has a headphone jack that doubles as a TosLink connection. I drove the DAC on my Accuphase CD player that way for years. I just installed a dedicated MacMini yesterday, also through the optical output of the headphone jack. I’ll be moving to a USB DAC in the near future.

My iMac is a late 2017 21.5inch 3.4Ghz i5 as far as I can tell Apple now make the headphone jack as just a headphone outlet its no longer doubles as Toslink which is a shame. I like you had my MacBook connected to my DAC via the headphone/Toslink connection for years but unfortunately, my MacBook gave up working just before Xmas hence I now have this new iMac

trev

Apr 3, 2015
Norfolk U.K
You will need a USB converter. There are lots of these out there, the best of which is probably the Berkeley. Just google "USB converter". Some have Toslink outputs. Look for XMOS inside for the best result.

BTW, your Sonos can sound a LOT better, even better than your streamer:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154310.0

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Cheers Steve
Just been looking at the Berkely Alpha USB and the Synchro-Mesh 24/96 reclocker, both look interesting bits of kit, both of which I will look into further

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
My iMac is a late 2017 21.5inch 3.4Ghz i5 as far as I can tell Apple now make the headphone jack as just a headphone outlet its no longer doubles as Toslink which is a shame. I like you had my MacBook connected to my DAC via the headphone/Toslink connection for years but unfortunately, my MacBook gave up working just before Xmas hence I now have this new iMac

You’re right, they removed that capability! I can’t believe it saved them that much money. A lot of people are not happy with that change.

It seems that many audiophiles look down on using the Toslink connection. At least, that’s the sense I get. Why?

I think the Mac Mini sounds better than my iMac 5k did, I can’t quite figure out why. I configured ROON in the same way on both systems and they’re both using a Toslink connection.

trev

Apr 3, 2015
Norfolk U.K
You’re right, they removed that capability! I can’t believe it saved them that much money. A lot of people are not happy with that change.

It seems that many audiophiles look down on using the Toslink connection. At least, that’s the sense I get. Why?

I think the Mac Mini sounds better than my iMac 5k did, I can’t quite figure out why. I configured ROON in the same way on both systems and they’re both using a Toslink connection.

Yes, I agree with everything you say, Larry, although I have no experience of the Mac Mini. I would prefer to use something other than a Toslink connection if I had the option but I don't, but I am only going to be using it here and there occasionally for listening to the odd bit of music when I am exploring new music on youtube etc via my iMac, so it doesn't need to be the best connection in the world. 99.9% of my music listening is done via my CDP or my Melco streamer both via my DAC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing