I know this old arm is good but I don’t know why David,Rockitman,Tang,Ron,Mike
Use or will use having top tonearm like Sat,EliteAxiom,Black Beauty,Durand

Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think with the appreciation the 3012R has on the internet, they'd sell like hot-cakes if they were new and reflected the relative low manufacturing costs they were originally built on. People read these topics, A LOT of people read them. I think they'd be selling to a lot more people than have their TT's.

The sales of the 3012 is in the 100’s of thousands! You’re right a lot of people read this forum, the prices on thes arms remained relatively flat for over a decade but they’re escalating like crazy in the past 7-8 months.

david

Even at the current price range of 2 - 4 thousand dollars on ebay, they are still a bargain!
What other top performing high end audio product can be had for so little money ?
And if it does not work for you, resale at no loss is very likely.

News Flash...no need to jump now with these inflating prices; SME will be bring this TA...the 3012r...back into production later this year, yippee!!

Cheers!
ALF

But what will the new price be? Certainly not like the old price structure. They will most likely ride the hype train knowing the demand is high. But either way it will be nice to see this arm back in production.

News Flash...no need to jump now with these inflating prices; SME will be bring this TA...the 3012r...back into production later this year, yippee!!

Cheers!
ALF
I read that to somewhere, could not remember where, nothing on the SME website. Let’s hope they read up on what makes it special and don’t mess up the bearing or cabling. I will not buy a new one till it is ddk approved !

They should consult DDK. It is a win win, he provides support and from then on can be helping customers set them up on AS-2000 TT's and such forever forth.

The sales of the 3012 is in the 100’s of thousands! You’re right a lot of people read this forum, the prices on thes arms remained relatively flat for over a decade but they’re escalating like crazy in the past 7-8 months.

david

The supply of the R version is so small that a few people looking for them creates an enormous demand. I could have bough one 3012r in the German marketplace last week for a very nice price (this means lower than what I paid for mine) but decided I have enough of them. It is now sold. Common versions are much cheaper and very easy to locate.

I appreciate the 3012R a lot, but I think we should keep a cold perspective when debating equipment - except when we debate tubes, that are intrinsically hot!:D

If you look at successful past auctions in eBay you find that SME V's reach high prices. I have always sold mine - I have owned more than two :eek: - very easily.

The supply of the R version is so small that a few people looking for them creates an enormous demand. I could have bough one 3012r in the German marketplace last week for a very nice price (this means lower than what I paid for mine) but decided I have enough of them. It is now sold. Common versions are much cheaper and very easy to locate.

I appreciate the 3012R a lot, but I think we should keep a cold perspective when debating equipment - except when we debate tubes, that are intrinsically hot!:D

If you look at successful past auctions in eBay you find that SME V's reach high prices. I have always sold mine - I have owned more than two :eek: - very easily.

I don’t really care one way or another here Francisco, I don’t have a dog in this race. You want to believe it’s just a matter of perspective or taste be my guest but it’s not as if the people here put it up next to light weights in girly systems :)! Just because something is really good doesn’t mean everything else is bad either!

david

Dear Ron,This is what I do. Setup is as important as the equipment itself there were a few things to change in Tang’s system to get his sound where it needed to be, its a process and every system is different. With the SME once setup correctly there’s nothing to change and we did that on the first day.

david

Dear David,

Very interesting. Thank you.

Someday, far into the future, when you visit I will ply you with wine and chocolates so you will stay a long time and help me hatch this beast of a system. :D

Dear David,

Someday, far into the future, when you visit I will ply you with wine and chocolates so you will stay a long time and help me hatch this beast of a system. :D

If You would allow me to butt in dear Ron. Just be open minded. Allow yourself to leave your baggage behind and try what ddk has to offer when he visits you. You don’t have to like his approach to sound. Don’t think. Just leave yourself empty and have humors. Don’t listen when he guide you to hear what he think you are hearing. Just listen only to music after you let him help setup your system. Be truly open to what you hear. Let yourself sink into the sound for a day. Then you decide if he is correct or not. Yes he will throw into your system that cheap Ching Cheng Chinese power cords. Let him. It is fun. I myself had a good laugh with him throughout the time he was with me. You are a tube lover so it isn’t going to be a wrestling match with him from the start.

Your sincerely,
Tang

Last edited:
I was told by a friend on the forum that SME seem to be dumbfounded as to why people like this arm; they seem to claim newer designs are better in all sorts of ways, including tracking, noise and distortion. Who's right and who's wrong?

I remember when SME launched the 30xxR in the 1980s. Their press release made it very clear that they are relaunching the 30xx by popular demand from their customers in the far east and for no other reason. By doing this they jumped backwards over both the later versions of the 30xx and the Series III that Aikman Robertson clearly felt was technically far superior than what came before. One even got the impression that the Series V was developed more to satisfy the market conditions of the day than what he truely believed.

Dear David,

Dear Ron,
I better start dieting now, we’ll need a lot of chocolate and a few cases of wine for your place;)!
david

If You would allow me to butt in dear Ron. Just be open minded. Allow yourself to leave your baggage behind and try what ddk has to offer when he visits you. You don’t have to like his approach to sound. Don’t think. Just leave yourself empty and have humors. Don’t listen when he guide you to hear what he think you are hearing. Just listen only to music after you let him help setup your system. Be truly open to what you hear. Let yourself sink into the sound for a day. Then you decide if he is correct or not. Yes he will throw into your system that cheap Ching Cheng Chinese power cords. Let him. It is fun. I myself had a good laugh with him throughout the time he was with me. You are a tube lover so it isn’t going to be a wrestling match with him from the start.

Your sincerely,
Tang

You learned fast grasshopper! :)

Congratulations Tang. Now that you have multiple 3012Rs with different cartridges, will you be treating us to some more videos of the same song played with different cartridges? You must be having a blast.

You may have to adjust your volume. I didn’t level match when recorded.

Here is AtlasSL.

Here is Opus1.

Tang

Thank you Tang - quite nicely done.

My first opportunity to hear those carts back to back. I found Dino better integrated with his backup band with the Opus 1.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing