Seventh Heaven

darthlaker

Apr 17, 2017
Big fan of Vandersteen and recently finalised my system.

A friend of mine took some photos and hope you enjoy them!
System details below:

Stereo:

Equipment:

Vandersteen Model Seven loudspeakers
dCS Puccini SACD/CD player & DAC
dCS Puccini U-Clock
Bauer dps 3/Ayre Turntable
Lyra Atlas cartridge
Ayre KX-R Twenty Pre-amp
Audio Research REF 3 Phono stage
Ayre MX-R Twenty Monoblock amps
Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Filter
Melco N1ZH Network Streamer

Cables:

Audioquest Eagle Eye 72V DBS BNC 75 Ohm digital cable
Audioquest Everest 72V DBS speaker cables in bi-wire configuration
Audioquest WEL William E Low Signature Cable balanced interconnects 72V DBS
Audioquest Diamond 72V DBS USB cable
Audioquest Wild Blue Yonder 72V DBS 75 Ohm digital cable
Audioquest Thunder 72V DBS power cables & NRG-10 72V DBS power cables (NRG-10's connected to the Vandersteen Sevens)

Misc:

Solid Tech Rack of Silence equipment racks with suspension shelves
Finite Elemente Pagode turntable wall shelf
Ayre myrtle wood blocks used under all equipment and also under interconnect and power cables to ensure they are raised above floor
Silent Running Audio "Ohio Class" Audio isoBASE custom made amp stands for the Ayre MX-R Twenty Monoblock amps
Cardas XLR and RCA caps on unused inputs/outputs
Audioquest Edison 20A AC duplex power outlet connected to dedicated 20Amp circuit
Audioquest Jitterbugs

Home Theater (in addition to above):

Equipment:

Denon AVR-3312 surround sound receiver
Panasonic DMR-BW750 Blu-Ray player/recorder
XBOX ONE
JBL in ceiling surround loudspeakers
Pioneer PDP-LX509A Plasma monitor (ISF calibrated)

Cables:

Audioquest King Cobra balanced interconnects
Audioquest HDMI cables, rear speaker cable

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very nice system!

Welcome to WBF!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Beautiful system. Great synergy between Ayre amps and Vandersteens.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Beautiful and thoughtfully constructed ...always have had a soft spot for vandersteen....his IIc’s were my first foray into high end

Just an idea but might be worth using a diffusive / absorptive cover over the screen when not in use....

darthlaker

Apr 17, 2017
Beautiful and thoughtfully constructed ...always have had a soft spot for vandersteen....his IIc’s were my first foray into high end

Just an idea but might be worth using a diffusive / absorptive cover over the screen when not in use....

Thanks. Would love to hear your amazing system as well!

Well spotted - I use a rug over the TV when listening to music.

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
Beautiful setup:p\
The space looks very neat.

Does the TV and table (glass) not influence the sound?
(reflection)

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
darthlaker, the system does look stunning and I know it sound very, very good too (because we share many components in our systems). However, here's immediate and wholehearted recommendation. The power cables you are currently using are not your level. NRG-10 has to go first. You haven't heard your Vandersteens yet. With NRG-10 they are "sleeping". You've got to give them at least Hurricanes or, better still, Dragons High Current. I use 10 power cables in my system (all AQ). Currently it's a mixture of Hurricanes and Dragons. They are otherworldly.

darthlaker

Apr 17, 2017
darthlaker, the system does look stunning and I know it sound very, very good too (because we share many components in our systems). However, here's immediate and wholehearted recommendation. The power cables you are currently using are not your level. NRG-10 has to go first. You haven't heard your Vandersteens yet. With NRG-10 they are "sleeping". You've got to give them at least Hurricanes or, better still, Dragons High Current. I use 10 power cables in my system (all AQ). Currently it's a mixture of Hurricanes and Dragons. They are otherworldly.

Thanks a-man! Your system is stunning as well!

I have the NRG-10's plugged into the Vandersteen Sevens. The new AQ power cables don't fit in the Sevens.

I have 9 Thunder power cables in my system. I have heard great things about the Hurricane and Dragon power cables but unfortunately out of my budget!

Maybe one day I can find some used...

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Good to see fellow Vandy user, there are not many of us here :). Can you share what equipment is connected to the Niagara5000? I think with the 7000 I saw both the power amps, as well as the Vandy 7 sub amp all connected to the outlets. Audioquest I believe said everything can be connected to the Niagara without detrimental effects, have you found that to be the case? Thanks!

darthlaker

Apr 17, 2017
Good to see fellow Vandy user, there are not many of us here :). Can you share what equipment is connected to the Niagara5000? I think with the 7000 I saw both the power amps, as well as the Vandy 7 sub amp all connected to the outlets. Audioquest I believe said everything can be connected to the Niagara without detrimental effects, have you found that to be the case? Thanks!

Good to meet another Vandy user as well!

I have everything connected to the 5000.

I previously had a set up with Sevens plugged into the wall sockets and the rest of the equipment plugged into 2 Ayre power filters.

The overall sound is now MUCH better (even more so with the AQ Thunder power cables) with the 5000. The bass on the Sevens seems to be a little more detailed - but too close to call (Note: I am using AQ NRG-10 power cables on the Sevens as the new AQ power cables don't fit the Sevens)...

Can highly recommend the 5000....

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Audioquest I believe said everything can be connected to the Niagara without detrimental effects, have you found that to be the case? Thanks!
I have found this not to be the case. The detrimental effects are there loud and clear. That's why I traded my Niagar 7000 for two Niagara 5000. I have my pair of MX-R Twenty, computer and TV set plugged into one Niagara 5000. DX-5DSD, REF Ann and the computer linear PS plugged into the second Niagara 5000. Finally both subs are plugged directly into the wall. Now that is a bliss!

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
Always glad to find AQ fans! Your system looks amazing and I'm sure it sounds just as good as it looks. Nice photos too! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing