2018 Oscar Nominations-And the Oscar Goes To..........

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I thought Eddie Vedder was great. I love Pearl Jam but his mellow stuff is terrific too.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
And the lowest rated Ever !!! Deservingly so....when are the Hollywood pinheads going to drop politics ? They are suppose to be actors...not POS politicians...poor liberals can’t help themselves, lol

The low ratings had nothing to do with politics, it had everything to do with the movies nominated for Best Picture. None of the movies nominated for Best Picture sold more than $40M at the box office, they were mostly art films. The most-watched Oscar ceremony was in 1998, the telecast averaged 55.25 million viewers. That was the year "Titanic" was nominated.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Yeah, I can see that fit perfectly with the political agenda of the self-aggrandizing, hypocritical Academy and their "Time's Up" "Me Too" movement. After all, why not give an Oscar to someone charged with rape (until he paid the victim off to drop the charges). And while you're at it, why not give an Oscar to Gary Oldman, a guy who admitted to beating his first wife with a telephone in the head as his kid's watched. You can't make this stuff up. (Hypocrisy aside, Oldman certainly deserved the acting award).

Now, let's talk about the red carpet fashions. Is it just me, or did half the woman in Hollywood decide to take draperies off the wall and bedspreads off the beds and wear them as dresses?

FAKE NEWS. Gary Oldman never admitted to beating his wife. From the Daily Mail UK: "Oldman denies the attack took place and dismissed her statement as 'replete with lies, innuendoes and half truths'."

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The low ratings had nothing to do with politics, it had everything to do with the movies nominated for Best Picture. None of the movies nominated for Best Picture sold more than $40M at the box office, they were mostly art films. The most-watched Oscar ceremony was in 1998, the telecast averaged 55.25 million viewers. That was the year "Titanic" was nominated.

According to some given reasons: A year of low box office revenues for The Shape of Water with the most nominations, thirteen, was one of the factors. And the other films didn't make it the one billion dollar mark.
It's a combination of low revenues for the films nominated this year, and also, IMO, a lack of true talents in the acting business. We can have a very long discussion about it ...

FAKE NEWS. Gary Oldman never admitted to beating his wife. From the Daily Mail UK: "Oldman denies the attack took place and dismissed her statement as 'replete with lies, innuendoes and half truths'."

It's a complicated story, and nobody here was there, in their lives.
We are weak in many many aspects of life, the human race.
We are getting more and more unforgiving and judging.
There is less and less room for error.
We can send a Roadster to space and yet we cannot send a toaster to the Oscars. It's a way of speech to say that our priorities are not always in line with the best fundamental values of life.

The real life of other people we know less than nothing.
____

Someone got her Oscar stolen, but was later on reunited with it and had a double cheese burger.
The culprit who took the Oscar is a musician, in search of fame. He ended up in jail with a $20,000 bound.

Don't steal other people's Oscars, it won't bring you fame and fortune, only in your own head when playing jazz in your cell. Lol

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

Fair enough,. However, if the denial contained only half-truths, what was the half that was true??

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
How about Rita Moreno who wore the same gown she did in 1962 when she won the Academy Award in West Side Story

But you gotta love that she had a rocking good time. She was obviously smashed and didn't care who knew it. She may have had more fun than anyone else that night!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
But you gotta love that she had a rocking good time. She was obviously smashed and didn't care who knew it. She may have had more fun than anyone else that night!

I thought she looked terrific for a woman of 80 and how about Eva Marie Saint at age 90 as a presenter. She also was fabulous IMO

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I agree with you, Steve.

The spunk and vitality of both Rita Moreno and Eva Marie Saint were quite impressive.

You have to admire both of them.

Faye Dunaway, too, at age 77.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Agree. And I appreciate looking good at 80 and 90. But hard not to have your breath taken away by the 28 year old Eiza Gonzalez
https://www.maxim.com/women/eiza-gonzalez-oscars-red-carpet-2018-3

No doubt.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Agreed, Eddie Vedder was the best of an otherwise terrible night of musical performances.

Vedder did a fine job but so were the performances from the nominated movies "The Greatest Showman", "Mudbound" and "Marshall". The eventual winner from "Coco" was pretty bad.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
According to some given reasons: A year of low box office revenues for The Shape of Water with the most nominations, thirteen, was one of the factors. And the other films didn't make it the one billion dollar mark.
It's a combination of low revenues for the films nominated this year, and also, IMO, a lack of true talents in the acting business. We can have a very long discussion about it ...

It's a complicated story, and nobody here was there, in their lives.
We are weak in many many aspects of life, the human race.
We are getting more and more unforgiving and judging.
There is less and less room for error.
We can send a Roadster to space and yet we cannot send a toaster to the Oscars. It's a way of speech to say that our priorities are not always in line with the best fundamental values of life.

The real life of other people we know less than nothing.
____

Someone got her Oscar stolen, but was later on reunited with it and had a double cheese burger.
The culprit who took the Oscar is a musician, in search of fame. He ended up in jail with a $20,000 bound.

Don't steal other people's Oscars, it won't bring you fame and fortune, only in your own head when playing jazz in your cell. Lol

I think another interesting factor in the poor performance of the Oscars and the movie business in general is that investment has moved to on-line media outlets and cable. Other than comic book movies, there are few stand alone big tent blockbusters like ET, Titanic or Forest Gump. The best talent and most of the money is on the small and very small screens.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Fair enough,. However, if the denial contained only half-truths, what was the half that was true??

Agreed Marty. Sadly in this environment, an accusation with zero back up or independent corroboration is enough to destroy a career.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Vedder did a fine job but so were the performances from the nominated movies "The Greatest Showman", "Mudbound" and "Marshall". The eventual winner from "Coco" was pretty bad.

IMO Marshall was absolutely terrible. Maybe her ear monitors were bad, I've never heard Mary J hit so many sour notes.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I think another interesting factor in the poor performance of the Oscars and the movie business in general is that investment has moved to on-line media outlets and cable. Other than comic book movies, there are few stand alone big tent blockbusters like ET, Titanic or Forest Gump. The best talent and most of the money is on the small and very small screens.

The blockbusters are rarely the good movies. Some have been but usually the better movies are not box office winners. I'll take Mudbound, 3 Billboards, I,Tonya and Shape of Water over the comic book movies any day.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Also, I think people are more disinterested with Hollywood's glamour and last year didn't help...Harvey Weinstein's "practrices".

But you were right overall Jeffrey about a low revenues year @ the box office in general for this year's film nominations. It seems that those statistics had the greatest impact in the overall number of viewers who turned in this year to watch the Oscars.
___

Say that both of us are 20 years old, studying acting, filmmaking, photography, ...anything related to the Hollywood movie industry, and that we are watching this year's Oscars on our TVs or any other screen devices. What would be going through our mind? :b

Me, the Kawasaki jet ski. :cool:
I'm just kidding, I truly have no clue, and the young people today are super fast in criticising from personal and superficial appearance. ...Plus the vast influence of the social medias in sealing their mind towards the trends of our times.That's only a small fragment of a loose opinion, mine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing