2018 Oscar Nominations-And the Oscar Goes To..........

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It's a fantasy romance science fiction film.
It's got it all, love @ first sight between a cleaning lady and an amphibian.
It's an eggy feast, with a bathtub and a whole lot more. :b

It's the one with the most nominations, thirteen, and a big favorite to rake it up from the top.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Just been released:

BAFTA winners:

Best Picture: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Best Director: Guillermo del Toro (The Shape of Water)
Best Actress: Frances McDormand (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)
Best Actor: Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour)
Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins (Blade Runner 2049)
Best Supporting Actress: Allison Janney (I, Tonya)
Best Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)
Best Adapted Screenplay: James Ivory (Call Me By Your Name)
Best Original Screenplay: Martin McDonagh (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)
Best Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer: I Am Not a Witch
Best Sound: Dunkirk
Best Production Design: The Shape of Water
Best Special Visual Effects: Blade Runner 2049
Best Film Not in the English Language: The Handmaiden
Best Documentary: I Am Not Your Negro
Best Editing: Baby Driver
Best Animated Film: Coco
Best Makeup and Hair: Darkest Hour
Best Original Music: Alexander Desplat (The Shape of Water)
Best British Film: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Best British Short Film: Cowboy Dave
EE Rising Star Award: Daniel Kaluuya

• Link: https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...at-the-baftas-2018-film-awards-as-they-happen
___

Also: http://collider.com/asc-awards-winners-blade-runner-2049/#images

Theatrical Release Category (presented by Emmanuel Lubezki, ASC, AMC and Matthew Libatique, ASC)

Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC for “Blade Runner 2049” – WINNER
• Bruno Delbonnel, ASC, AFC for “Darkest Hour”
• Hoyte van Hoytema, ASC, FSF, NSC for “Dunkirk”
• Dan Laustsen, ASC, DFF for “The Shape of Water”
• Rachel Morrison, ASC for “Mudbound”

Spotlight Award Category (presented by John Bailey, ASC)

• Máté Herbai, HSC for “On Body and Soul”
• Mikhail Krichman, RGC for “Loveless”

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I found Shape of Water weirdly charming but understand the criticisms. It was a far better movie than 3 Billboards to me and more of a strange emotional hook which the Academy usually goes for.

My girlfriend didn’t buy into the concept. It was a little too artsy for me.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I fell asleep...

Was waiting for some great moment in the film but at the end I thought it was overhyped and in some cases over acted. I get the theme and am not an homophobe but TBH we couldn't wait to get out of there

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The Shape of Water was good at best. Michael Shannon was excellent and the star of the movie which, to me, exposed the weakness of the relationship between Hawkins and her creature friend.

I enjoyed 3 Billboards more than any other movie this year. McDormand got you to feel her pain and frustration. Even though Rockwell's character seemed extreme, my guess is that living my whole life on the east coast has me sheltered and people like that do exist. He wasn't a bad guy. He was just a product of his upbringing and environment.

I also enjoyed I, Tonya as much for the performances as the story which I remember well. Both Robbie and Janney were outstanding. It is amazing that Harding became as good as skater as she was despite her mother.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It'll be interesting on March 4th to see if the Oscars coincide or not with the BAFTA awards.
The majority I think will, and perhaps with few variables.

There is no doubt that 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' made a positive impact @ the BAFTA.
I'm also curious to see if 'Blade Runner 2049' will stand with the Hollywood Academy voters for Best Cinematography. It has beautiful compositions and light's movements and atmosphere, no doubt, but it has also quite a bit of CGI visual effects. And that's why I thought that 'Dunkirk' with a more natural overall photography has that extra edge for Best Cinematography. Either one they are both masterfully executed by two great grandmasters, directors of cinematography.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It'll be interesting on March 4th to see if the Oscars coincide or not with the BAFTA awards.
The majority I think will, and perhaps with few variables.

There is no doubt that 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' made a positive impact @ the BAFTA.
I'm also curious to see if 'Blade Runner 2049' will stand with the Hollywood Academy voters for Best Cinematography. It has beautiful compositions and light's movements and atmosphere, no doubt, but it has also quite a bit of CGI visual effects. And that's why I thought that 'Dunkirk' with a more natural overall photography has that extra edge for Best Cinematography. Either one they are both masterfully executed by two great grandmasters, directors of cinematography.

My vote for Best Cinematography goes to Dunkirk

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We went to see Call Me By Your Name yesterday. It was the only movie on this year's Best Picture list we had not seen.

Frankly, I was disappointed with this movie and very surprised it has a Best Picture nomination. The acting by the main characters in this movie was not very good and seemed stilted to me. That's my opinion anyway.

My wife liked the movie more than me and felt that what I called stilted was intended to show struggle with the situation.

In any event, definitely my least favorite among the Best Picture nominees.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
After seeing most of the nominees,

Best Picture- Shape of Water; 3 Billboards is too controversial now and the Shape of Water has an emotional hook (despite a weird one)

Best Actor- Gary Oldman; best biography wins once again. The acting was much better than the movie.

Best Actress- Frances Mcdormand, although I preferred Saorise Ronan

Best Supporting Actor- Sam Rockwell as Willem Dafoe's movie is too esoteric

Best Supporting Actress - Alison Janney in the easiest award of the year (and best movie!)

Best Director - Guillermo del Toro; Martin McDonaugh wasn't even nominated which says a lot

Best Adapted Screenplay - terrible category this year, but only Call Me By Your Name was nominated for Best Picture, so I'll go with that

Best Original Screenplay - Get Out; this is where Peele will be recognized

Best Cinematography- Dunkirk

Best Score - Shape of Water - I loved the soundtrack of this movie

I expect Dunkirk will win lots of editing and sound awards

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing