2018 Oscar Nominations-And the Oscar Goes To..........

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I know, $90 million domestic. Still, the film is loved by the cinema connoisseurs.
The money is irrelevant.

I wouldn't have mind to see it shorter, say by about 15-20 minutes.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
It underwhelmed at the Box Office because after the first two weeks word of mouth got out that it wasn't that good. The first couple of weeks it pulled in the nostelgia crowds. It did less than $100 million in the US.

and the almost 3 hour runtime...that's why I passed!

i've never seen the original.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The original Blade Runner, IMO, is a great sci-fi flick. It helps seeing it first before Blade Runner 2049.
Without the original, BR2049 would have never been created. There is an undeniable force under all the surface of 35 years span between the two, and everything that comes with them. Books are going to be written if our planet still exists one thousand years from now, IMO. There are things in life that aren't easy forgotten in time, and both Blade Runners are two of them. The cinematic experience cannot be revoked...both of them. IMO

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I liked Shape of Water a lot. She or Emma Stone (Billie Jean King, battle of the sexes) should have won the best actress rather than Frances McDormand

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I agree with The Shape of Water, and I also agree with Sally Hawkins as best actress.
I did not see Battle of the Sexes, but I will.
Frances McDormand was good but not the best. And she sure could have used a better dress...it looked like the curtains from her bedroom...circa 1963.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I love Emma Stone but there are a lot of actresses who could have played that role and she wasn't going to win a 2nd straight Oscar with that performance.

Sally Hawkins was good but I like when the actresses speak. :)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Watched The shape of water last night. Many different thoughts.
Brilliant on so many levels, terrible ending.
When I watch a movie for entertainment, that's all I want, entertainment, nothing else.
Getting tired of social/political messages in movies anymore. The scene in the diner should have wound up on the cutting room floor and was a complete and total unnecessary disruption of the story.
Great story, great filmmaking, great musical score, good acting, good Sci-Fi with a couple bumps on the way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing