Tube Pre-Amps: Shindo, CJ ART 3, ARC Ref 5...advice!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Robert,

thanks for your post...particularly your correction on Tripoint Troy...those were the grounding, noise floor reducing components (not Tron...typo). These were pluggged into one of the most enormous collections of electronics ever...4 stacks for the preamp alone, 6 monoblocks (3 sets), the entire Tripoint setup, plus a 3' high stack which was Stahldeck Vekian and transport in an isolation-reducing shelving.

I think the Tripoint was impressive, and Chris at AE highly recommended it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
One aspect that supports Myles advice is that the GAT has a solid state buffer and will match your Antileon and subwoofer perfectly. If you have tuned Transparent Audio ICs you should ask Transparent if they need to re-tuned.

Hi Microstrip, i am looking into the GAT. Could you explain why you say the SS buffer would match my Antileon and subwoofer perfectly? (and more particularly, assuming you are saying it also is a better match than my ACT 2...why exactly is it better?) Thanks for your help from a non-techie!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So I finally heard the GAT. Frankly, it blew me away. The guys in the room said it was by far the best CJ they'd heard, and it certainly is the best CJ i've heard (i've owned two...PV14L and ACT 2). Here's my notes:

- transparent to invisible...i've not ever felt that a pre was invisible until this one...
- i think it has to do with extreme alacrity...its so fast, it does not feel like the component is taking in a signal, processing it, and then having to 'push' it back out thru a series of cones/speakers. music just seemed to fly/breathe effortlessly (with no resistance) thru the component if that makes any sense.
- it is also very even across the spectrum...super balanced
- it is also very, very quiet...which means you really do start to hear your music as if for the first time with all the new detail
- the extension of the unit is far greater than the ACT 2. it ain't close, and i like the ACT 2
- dynamically, you understand quite quickly the ACT 2 is very limited (which i already knew)
- finally, CJ left their DNA in the unit...it always manages to feel completely at ease and completely natural (which the ACT 2 does not in comparison)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm happy with my Ref 5. Not on your list and worth checking out is the Valvet Soulshine which I reviewed here:

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue48/valvet.htm

I've been using this in my second system for 5 months now. The last month I've been using Tele 802s. I'll roll the ecc99s with some NOS GE 12bh7s soon. For the money and a couple or more times than that....what you said Bob.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So I finally heard the GAT. Frankly, it blew me away. The guys in the room said it was by far the best CJ they'd heard, and it certainly is the best CJ i've heard (i've owned two...PV14L and ACT 2). Here's my notes:

- transparent to invisible...i've not ever felt that a pre was invisible until this one...
- i think it has to do with extreme alacrity...its so fast, it does not feel like the component is taking in a signal, processing it, and then having to 'push' it back out thru a series of cones/speakers. music just seemed to fly/breathe effortlessly (with no resistance) thru the component if that makes any sense.
- it is also very even across the spectrum...super balanced
- it is also very, very quiet...which means you really do start to hear your music as if for the first time with all the new detail
- the extension of the unit is far greater than the ACT 2. it ain't close, and i like the ACT 2
- dynamically, you understand quite quickly the ACT 2 is very limited (which i already knew)
- finally, CJ left their DNA in the unit...it always manages to feel completely at ease and completely natural (which the ACT 2 does not in comparison)

The GAT also made mincemeat of the ART series 3, far better in my system than the ACT 2 series 1 :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The GAT also made mincemeat of the ART series 3, far better in my system than the ACT 2 series 1 :)

BTW, i know you said not to judge the GAT before it was fully burned in...but i had the chance to hear it and i took it! ;) so my comments (which are all positive) reflect an un-burned-in GAT. I will go back and listen in around 400 hours...it was pretty much new.

BTW, Myles do you use A10-U8s on all your gear, or just the GAT?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Myles did you ever turn in that review? URL please

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles did you ever turn in that review? URL please

Actually no because I'm intending to write it up within the context of an all cj system. Part of the thought process is that to really appreciate the qualities that the Teflon caps bring, one has to use them throughout the system :) On my list to do :( I'm so far behind but am trying to catch up. Hopefully things will slow down now until after Labor and will put fingers to the keys.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
BTW, i know you said not to judge the GAT before it was fully burned in...but i had the chance to hear it and i took it! ;) so my comments (which are all positive) reflect an un-burned-in GAT. I will go back and listen in around 400 hours...it was pretty much new.

BTW, Myles do you use A10-U8s on all your gear, or just the GAT?

I've tried the WK under the phono and GAT. I have only two pairs. As I said, the WK and SRA bases each bring different qualities out in the system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Myles. Look forward to reading the review!!! As for an all CJ system...i used to run one. Will be interested to see if the review gets me thinking along those lines again!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing