Detlof von Oertzen

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I am posting this as Ked and I have emailed back and forth a few times both wondering how Detlof was doing. We both had been emailing him with no response. Many of you know him from either visiting him or communicating with him here on WBF. Detlof had been struggling with illness for the last few years.

I just received an email from a friend of his who has just read the emails that I had been sending him. Detlof passed away in August of 2017.

I apologize if anyone knew about this and had posted this prior, but I felt it was appropriate for those like myself who was not aware of his passing that at least now we know he is reading this post and smiling and saying when you listen to some good music think of me. I know he would have said that.

Detlof was an astonishing human being and I for one miss him, but celebrate his long and wonderful existence here on earth.

Love you Detlof and will always remember you!!!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
very sad to hear. R.I.P. Detlof.

I only interacted with Detlof here on WBF but he was a good, kind soul and it was easy to tell he loved the hobby, and the music.

he will be missed and thanks to you and Ked for thinking of him and asking about him. friends do that.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is indeed sad to hear, but let's celebrate his spirit like he would have wanted to. He was one of the most passionate of audiophiles, despite being over 80. When I visited him over 18 months ago, he did say he had a terminal illness, but stated quite cheerfully that he is planning to pass away listening to music on his sofa or reading. Hope he went that way.

My last exchange with him on email was May 2017.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thank you for letting us know.
I had been wondering how he was in the absence of any posts from him and it is sad that he is no longer with us.
He was a fellow Entreq enthusiast and obviously loved his music and our shared hobby.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
very sad to hear.
an admirable system and unbelievable dedication to sound.

Rest in peace.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Sad news indeed.

I had occasion to talk to Detloff several times over the years and not only was he an audiophile extraordinaire but above all he was a true gentleman. He told me about the struggles he was having with his illness but always took it in his stride and rose above it

He will truly be missed

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Sorry to hear, RIP Detlof. I enjoyed hearing about his system and his views, he will be missed.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
very sad to hear. R.I.P. Detlof.

I only interacted with Detlof here on WBF but he was a good, kind soul and it was easy to tell he loved the hobby, and the music.

he will be missed and thanks to you and Ked for thinking of him and asking about him. friends do that.

+1 on all points

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
That's too bad. He was a good egg. May he find joy on the other side.

I communicated with Detlof for probably 10 years. He was a good customer.

Thanks for letting us know.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Sad news indeed.
I was on holiday in Sardinia just last August 2017 and I was tempted to call him to visit him. But I didn't do it. I'm so sorry.
He was a truly gentleman.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
This is awful! Detlof was a good friend and a good customer. I don't travel much overseas, but he was kind enough to give me a standing invitation to visit him in Sardinia. He was quite learned and a class act in every regard. Some of the last emails I got from him were of a rather intense philosophical nature, apparently penned just before his death. RIP my friend.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ahhhh...very sad. I did not know him other than for his many contributions over the years. God bless.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I cannot express how sad I am to read this news.
I arrive late in the day perhaps, but I feel the need to share with you a few words about Detlof. Speaking to you who actually knew Detlof and appreciated him, helps me feel I am communicating with him -- through you.

Detlof and I had been exchanging messages since 1995, on and off, about family &people, music, work... life. I was lucky to meet him through our hobby and we quickly moved on from there. Late in 2015, we lost touch for a while... a long while, as it turns out.

Detlof is (was) an exceptional person, a passionate (as noted above) and rare thinker — dare I say, a great and wise man. For me, he was (is) a source of inspiration and a teacher. His insight often served as guidance to me, and his perception opened my eyes (and ears!) on many an occasion.

Rather than wax poetic (something I am not good at) let me share what Detlof wrote to me in 2015: "Death (one's own or others') is something to prepare yourself for, but contrary to death itself, the process of dying is not something to look forward to, so your perspective turns backwards, turns back on your life and the process of judgement begins, not in the "afterlife", but in the here and now, and it is an important process..."

Dear Detlof, old friend,
Thank you for being there!

(If you read this far, thank you -- Greg)

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
"Death (one's own or others') is something to prepare yourself for, but contrary to death itself, the process of dying is not something to look forward to, so your perspective turns backwards, turns back on your life and the process of judgement begins, not in the "afterlife", but in the here and now, and it is an important process..."
(If you read this far, thank you -- Greg)

it was very touching to me knowing of his passage to the afterlife!!!! I had private conversations only with him but I never had the opportunity to meet him, but I know he was a truly gentlemen

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
He's smiling at us.....

Reactions: bonzo75

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Amen to that!

Reactions: Rhapsody

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing