TechDAS AF3 instead of CA MI...

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
After a year or so with Clear Audio Master Innovation with TT2 and UNIversal arms...
I decided to go on and get my "Dream" TT from TechDAS... (in fact the AF1 will be it, but my bank account disagreed ;))
so, after some months of waiting from ordering one, it finally came.
the CA was my pride and joy after it challenges my reference back then (Brinkamn Balance) and with the TT2 on board, it was the best TT i ever heard around!

the TechDAS stuff i saw and heard mainly on shows (munich) for some time and always dreamt about them,
but no dealer around and no actual money to get it became a barrier. but no more. i decided to get on with that and did it.

for the AF3 i bought two arms, the Simplicity II that i reviewed on the CA before, and the Ortofon RS212D for SPU purpose :)

the sound from the AF3 is so effortless and easy. the stability and lack of "pushing" the sound to you is charming.
there is a lot of deep bass and mids (i guess the words about his lacking in that area were v.s his siblings the AF1/2), and although the highs from the CA are more open and chime the AF3 sound smooth and detailed just enough.
the more Compact nature of the AF3 instead of the CA IM tower is also a benefit to my small room and stands.
I supposed i have some more learning and break in to do to get his full potential, but for now, i think it will do, and my heart is quiet (at least until Munich again when i see the AF1 again :p:mad:)

IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, we can take it you’re happy with your choice?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’m always surprised when guys on the forum are happy with their current gear, yet go on to upgrade to something “better” in a short period of time.
I’m not immune to upgrading myself, having gone thru 5 rounds of changes or major mods over a 21 year period.
But this is usually because I’m unhappy with a current sound, not when I’m content.
I haven’t made a major component change in anything for at least 4 years now.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
I’m always surprised when guys on the forum are happy with their current gear, yet go on to upgrade to something “better” in a short period of time.
I’m not immune to upgrading myself, having gone thru 5 rounds of changes or major mods over a 21 year period.
But this is usually because I’m unhappy with a current sound, not when I’m content.
I haven’t made a major component change in anything for at least 4 years now.

i guess those questions are normal... but we buy more or upgrade\change for many different reasons.
there some of us around who owns 3 or 4 turntable, many arms and carts, not to mentioned several audio system, speakers, amps etc...
i guess switching TT once a year when i listen to music 5-8 hour a day, is not so unusual to my logic :)

i know some ppl who flipped one box or equipment once every 4-5 years but they listen to 2-3 hours a week... so who between us is more "ok"? ;)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Congrats on AF3
It’s nice u can fit multiple arms

I have heard both the CA and AF 3 interested in your impressions of the 2 TT

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No criticism intended, as I say I’m by no means immune myself.
I listen to music about 20-25 hrs a week, 2/3 vinyl, I guess I could change my front end more too.
I do feel I’ve hit on a sound that if I wanted absolute impvt on would require a spend 3x my current.
I’ve taken more to spending on room and tt isolation to get my upgrade kicks.
But congrats on the new tt getting you to a more enjoyable place.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I do feel I’ve hit on a sound that if I wanted absolute impvt on would require a spend 3x my current.(...)

You have to recommend me your therapist, he did an excellent work! :D

More seriously, it seems you optimized your sound quality for your budget. Most probably, using what you have learned in the past, you would get a much better system if you were allowed to spend the double. The nice thing in this hobby is that WE decide what is better.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Francisco, spending a small fortune on the room re acoustics and power grid is the equivalent of buying an AF1 tt, or SGM server plus top MSB dac, or top marque SS pre and power, or pr of SOTA floorstanders.
I made a decision to maxx out my environment and not go all out on yet another expensive component. And for me it’s been the right choice.
Now if Byrdparis has excellent acoustics and power and he feels upgrading beyond the CA MI is the right way to go, that decision is right for him.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Or if he wants to enjoy some different TTs and carts that is fine too

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
So do you still have your CA?

Sorry for the late delay Howie my friend!
i sold my- CA MI a few days ago, the AF3 is replacing it, and i did ordered a second (other topology) TT to play side by side of the AF3 eventually.
i am investing in arms and cartridges to get my analog system more wide range flavour wise, and reference wise for myself.
i like to listen, learn and play with variety of gear as i can.

i'm still thinking the CA MI is one of the best turntable for the price. and with a proper suspension and arm\s (that you have! and so as i still have and LOVE)
it can be the last one any one will ever need.

PM me how you like it so far.
Aviad.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing