MSB Reference Transport - the first home audition

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
MSB sent a Reference Transport near-finalized prototype to the GuangZhou International Hi-end Audio Visual Show 2018 in Mainland China last week.
After the Show and on its trip back to US, my friend Ricky in Hong Kong who was a die-hard MSB fans borrowed it for home audition for a few hours.

The MSB Reference Transport
Reference Transport front1.jpg

Its back
Reference Transport back1.jpg

On rack.
you may notice the stack of MSB Signature UMT V transport and the two Single Diamond Transport Powerbases in the background.

Reference Transport on rack1.jpg

The PRO ISL optical digital output of the Ref Transport
Reference Transport PRO ISL output1.jpg

The PRO ISL optical input module installed on his Select II dac.
Select II PRO ISL input1.jpg

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Awesome!
We were supposed to have that transport here for our event yesterday, but as you can imagine, China/Asia was more important, so there it went :)
I hope you guys enjoyed it, it looks very cool!

cheers,
alex

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It’s got some serious competition, with the overengineered Wadax and JMF transports, already firm faves on the AE forums.
I remain a massive advocate of disc playback, if only my funds stretched a bit further...

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Awesome!
We were supposed to have that transport here for our event yesterday, but as you can imagine, China/Asia was more important, so there it went :)
I hope you guys enjoyed it, it looks very cool!
cheers,
alex

Hello Alex,
Mainland China is an important market for MSB, but not so for Hong Kong. :(
My friend is a very good friend of the MSB official HK dealer so he could enjoy it for a few hours.

In summary even though it's only a prototype with the original desktop psu, it blew the Signature UMT V transport/two Single Diamond Transport Powerbases away in seconds!
Yes, extremely awesome!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Competition? Maybe not.

Both MSB and Wadax have their own proprietary I2S type of transport-dac connections. I guess most audiophiles will buy a whole set.

The JMF is beautiful and over-engineered but is at disadvantage in this aspect.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hello Alex,
In summary even though it's only a prototype with the original desktop psu, it blew the Signature UMT V transport/two Single Diamond Transport Powerbases away in seconds!
Yes, extremely awesome!

That's interesting, because that's the exact same feedback I heard from MSB here in the US, when they compared it at the factory. New transport, original PSU, blew their UMT V with two dedicated power bases, and it was not even close.

I'm currently enjoying *streaming* through the UMT V to our SELECT. Since the MSBs are based on the Oppos, you can actually stream to them, and since the new MSB Transports are based on the Oppo 2xx, they are Roon endpoints too!

So there's no need to choose anymore. You can get one box that will spin discs *and* stream, all while using their cool new Pro ISL interface! We should get our (new) Transport in a few weeks, so I'll be able to say more about it...

cheers,
alex

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That's interesting, because that's the exact same feedback I heard from MSB here in the US, when they compared it at the factory. New transport, original PSU, blew their UMT V with two dedicated power bases, and it was not even close.

I'm currently enjoying *streaming* through the UMT V to our SELECT. Since the MSBs are based on the Oppos, you can actually stream to them, and since the new MSB Transports are based on the Oppo 2xx, they are Roon endpoints too!

So there's no need to choose anymore. You can get one box that will spin discs *and* stream, all while using their cool new Pro ISL interface! We should get our (new) Transport in a few weeks, so I'll be able to say more about it...

cheers,
alex

could you explain what that Pro ISL interface does

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Competition? Maybe not.

Both MSB and Wadax have their own proprietary I2S type of transport-dac connections. I guess most audiophiles will buy a whole set.

The JMF is beautiful and over-engineered but is at disadvantage in this aspect.

Here is the stiffest competition--

MSB-Renderer-Input-Module-235px.jpg

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
CK,

Does MSB make their own transport or is a bought in OEM version and then tweaked?

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

The experts can comment but just briefly, it looks like it combines all the benefits of IS2 with the benefits of 100% electrical isolation through glass. Pretty cool.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
The experts can comment but just briefly, it looks like it combines all the benefits of IS2 with the benefits of 100% electrical isolation through glass. Pretty cool.
It appears to be two optical cables I assume clock and data like the older Meitner pro st optical link, but I am speculating

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CK,
Does MSB make their own transport or is a bought in OEM version and then tweaked?

All MSB universal transports, past and present are Oppo-mods.
So are the Wadax & JMF universal transports.

However the Wadax, JMF and MSB Reference & Select are so thoroughly modded that they can't be recognized to be relatives of Oppo. :D

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

It appears to be two optical cables I assume clock and data like the older Meitner pro st optical link, but I am speculating

That was the reason I asked as it looks like the optical glass I use in my Playback Designs and prior to that in my Meitner

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

It replaces the Pro I2S interface, currently used in transports. The current Pro I2S uses Ethernet cables to carry (bi-directionally) the data.

Pro ISL is meant to do the same thing, while eliminating any and all possible effect the cable and connectors might have in the process, by using the optic couplers/decouplers. Theoretically, you could run a mile of cable between the DAC and transport, with no loss. That's the kind of application ISL is used for, and MSB is using it for the transport now.

I'm waiting for some more specific information, but I do know it's NOT standard fiber optic, TosLink, etc. Actually, I just want one of those here :)

cheers,
alex

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
It replaces the Pro I2S interface, currently used in transports. The current Pro I2S uses Ethernet cables to carry (bi-directionally) the data.
Pro ISL is meant to do the same thing, while eliminating any and all possible effect the cable and connectors might have in the process, by using the optic couplers/decouplers. Theoretically, you could run a mile of cable between the DAC and transport, with no loss. That's the kind of application ISL is used for, and MSB is using it for the transport now.
I'm waiting for some more specific information, but I do know it's NOT standard fiber optic, TosLink, etc. Actually, I just want one of those here :)
cheers,
alex

Our home network is full of noise. Effort has been spent to avoid the noise getting into the dac.
Optical Isolation in CAS has been adopted widely by CAS desktop computer DIYers in Hong Kong for many years.
One of the best product lines is Adnaco : http://www.adnaco.com/products/
Both multi-mode and single-mode transceivers and fibers are available.

A local CAS audio brand (N&E Audio) launches a FiberBox which contains the input & output optical conversion modules and a linear psu in one chassis.
Very convenient.
DSC_1129.jpg 211613f7dkwygzyzyotvog.jpg

Recently Trinity Audio applies optical isolation for the usb connection between their Trinity Media PC and Trinity DAC.
f669fbdcb8d951ae00a2451b97bade.jpg 366hckswtpqd.jpg

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
What is the device?

It is an Ethernet Renderer input module with network card. MSB is still working on it and hasn’t released it yet.

Ken

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
It is an Ethernet Renderer input module with network card. MSB is still working on it and hasn’t released it yet.

Ken

Yes Ken it plays and decodes common audio formats from HTTP streams outputting direct to IS2. The clock is synchronized by the very low jitter DAC master clock and all grounds are isolated and dedicated clean power is provided. It is extremely hard to beat. Oh and the new version is Roon and MQA compliant.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing