The GQT Portable Recording Device No 1 is based on the Stellavox SM8 tape recorder

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Price?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
May be that will depend on the amount of pre orders they get after the show .
Concerning the size of the machine , a taperecorder doesnt have to be big /huge to get the best sound imo , i still consider my portable studer B 62 as delivering the best sound of the taperecorders ive listened too.
The guy who repaired my A 80 RC and recapped both of my studers does a lot of work with studiorecorders/recording studios in general and he also said the B 62 was really good sounding.
It sounds a tad more explosive / dynamic , i think .

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The B 62 and A 80 have exactly the same repro and record cards so thats why i can make a good comparison of the drive/playback system .
Ron and Kedar can may be tell you how the stock machines i use compare to " tweaked" machines .
Besides that , a guy willi studer who can design state of te art tapemachines, is supposedly not capable enough to design an amplifier stage but an audiophile tweaker who does it for a hobby can , hmm i dont think so .
I m not aiming at you or something but if i sometimes see what they figure out and do to get better sound , i dont know whether i must cry or laugh

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
same audio cards, but not same chassis etc
a few things have developed since Willy Studer, and he was most likely not the last person who had inventive ideas about repro circuits
I´m not referring to tweakers but qualified electronics personnell from today
It´s not cast in concrete hat everything was better in the old days......
best
Leif 1956-model

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
That was my whole point diifferent chassis different sound , if i recall correctly the B 62 has a different cast iron chassis ,which has different characteristics and i think it sounds better.
No i dont agree at all , off course willi studer made a name for himself with the electronics the way they were stock designed , thats what makes them studers with a studer sound in the first place

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
You know what the recording engineer did who bought my A 80 RC , he is a guy who s quit famous in holland with his own studio and he DJ s .
I said are you gonna record with the machine because i knew he had a 1/2 inch in past as well also a studer A 80 .
He said no im just gonna pass my recorded sound through the machine to give it the studer sound , and by recorded sound i think he meant digital recorded sound ;)

Ps i also asked him to give the speakers a listen , hmm he looked at the brand name and said no i have BW 800 s myself .
Its all about brand name man :D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I m very busy with work at the moment , but once im more settled i wanna buy a telefunken M 21 and a Stellavox SP 7 , that A 80 was ******* heavy.
I d love to have a A 820 too off course , very nice tapehandling.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing