Brinkmann Balance.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Totally agree. Their suspension is only a good thing for the end user. To describe it as an issue is wrong imho. The absence of suspension is an issue that you need to remediate via rack / platform with a Technics.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
OK here is what I have found out the last few days, the SL-1000R in the prime arm location has little room for a lot of other arm cables to fit down into the plinth even using a blank arm board and drilling it for your arm of choice unless you use a arm with a cable that does not have to be routed down through the arm tower. Next the arm board is attached to the platter base that also has the motor attached to it so any noise that the motor has is transferred into the arm board which in this case is aluminum. Technics is aware of this and it is anyones guess if they are going to change anything. I finally got a reply to a question I sent to Technics about the arm used on the new table and according to an engineer the arm is the same as the one used on the 1200G table only it is one inch longer. The platters height being so low also makes it problematic for some arms to be used. I was also considering the Stabi M but after reading fremers review of it I have second thoughts so I think I will erase the whole drawing board and start fresh with my quest.

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Does that dustcover effect the sonics of the Kuzma table? Frank Kuzma must have considered this during the development, but I'm curious why other tables don't have such covers.

No. The Stabi M dust cover is designed to not to pick up any vibration from the environment (e.g. loud music). The user can keep the cover down while playing records. And, for me, the peace of mind knowing a kid's ball will never bounce off my stylus is priceless. :)

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
I still think it may be in my best interest to wait for the final production version of the SL-1000R to be released before I make my final decision on which table to buy. I could be wrong but I think there is some pressure on the engineers at Technics to make some changes on the table before it is released in its final production version.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gary, no disrespect, but you’re really going about this all wrong.
You cannot make a decision on buying any high end audio, least of all a tt, based on reviews, hearsay, what someone at the end a phone helpline says.
That way disaster waits.
Unless you can get multiple sale or return deals, not be out of pocket as you buy/install/hate/return umpteen tts until you find the one you want. But this scenario seems unlikely.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
Spirit, Lets look at the facts, I have no tables to listen to for hundreds of miles and if I did they would be in unfamiliar systems so I also have no one willing to loan me a table to listen to in my system. At this time all I can do is compile information from many different sources and try to make a decision based on the information I have. I will ask for a refund on the table before I buy if I do not like the table. Once again I know I am in a almost no win situation but I have to work with what I have and I will take my time making this decision, no jumping into anything.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That’s ok
It’s a hard way to do things, but maybe the only way
I wouldn’t dismiss the Stabi M based on Fremer’s review
All the words I’ve seen printed on the tt are generally v favourable

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That’s ok
It’s a hard way to do things, but maybe the only way
I wouldn’t dismiss the Stabi M based on Fremer’s review
All the words I’ve seen printed on the tt are generally v favourable

Roy Gregory loves it, and bought it

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
again it bears mentioning, if you haven't heard a DD you like - buy the Kuzma. it may require a change in cart to get you to the desired tonal balance but that shouldn't be a big issue.

I will say for a DD the Technics will likely compete with tables much higher in price as Fremer insinuates. However, the fact Fremer likes DD tables (my Bardo, the 1200G, etc.) means his opinion shouldn't be that valuable to you.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
Keith, I have never made a decision based on only one persons opinion, so far Michael Fremer is the only one that has had both tables in his possession to listen to and analog is his forte. I listen mostly to people that have had a chance to listen to the tables I am looking at and I do not discard any reviewers opinion I compile data and reviews then make a decision based off of that. Thanks for your suggestions.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
I have something to tell all that wants to know, I have looked at the SL-1000R videos and the platter has around .010 runout and if someone looks close at the videos they can see it. If you look closely at the platter turning you can see the black gap between the platter and plinth open and close down as the platter turns. This problem may be solved in the production version, I also looked at the SP-10R video and the platter runout seems to be a lot better.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I just cannot believe Technics would release the finished version with this issue
No way
Gary, my suggestion is
1- Stabi M for belt drive, excellent build quality, no nonsense high torque, solid SQ, excellent back up
2- SP10R for DD, not in Technics plinth or using their arm, but in a custom plinth/arm board, on passive isolation platform (I love my Stacore Adv, but you can go Minus K as well), using 4 Point, Schroeder LT or Thales Simplicity LT, or my current fave arm, NOS 12” SAEC506.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have something to tell all that wants to know, I have looked at the SL-1000R videos and the platter has around .010 runout and if someone looks close at the videos they can see it. If you look closely at the platter turning you can see the black gap between the platter and plinth open and close down as the platter turns. This problem may be solved in the production version, I also looked at the SP-10R video and the platter runout seems to be a lot better.

Yes, I noticed that too in the video. I've seen some well made tables that don't even look like they are spinning when turned on. I would think they will fix this with the production version.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
Spirit I have seen youtube videos of Technics 1200G tables that have platter runout so bad its horrifying. I worked in aircraft engineering and I pick up on these things really fast because of my training. I know it is only a $4000 table but I would not buy it just for that reason but thats just me, other people may not notice or care about it. Peter, the tables your talking about that look like they are not spinning are the ones I gravitate to. Again thanks for all of your suggestions.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Gary.
Is Grand Prix Audio on yr list?
Either a s/h Monaco 1.5, or new Parabolica

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
Spirit, I have heard good and not so good things from people about these tables. Some say they sound analytical or kind of digital so if I had my choice I would like a table that sounds more warm with body then a table that is on the cool side.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Then Gary, you need to go back to the Stabi M.
I repeat, you cannot take any one review at face value, or in isolation.
If you are going to pay attention to Fremer, then you need to pay attention to Gregory. He loves the M.
If warm with body is what you want, my impression of Stabi M is that it v much provides this.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . I think the best combo, if one wants something simple and straightforward, would be SP-10 with a 4point 9", and a custom base.

Respectfully, Alex, wouldn’t that set-up — with a piece from three different manufacturers — be complicated rather than simple? Wouldn’t a Kuzma 4Point on a Kuzma Stabi M be simpler?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing