Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: twintech

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Speaking of Kuzma, does anyone know who makes the CAR line of carts for Kuzma? I had heard it was Lyra, and if so, I wonder if the Kuzma line mirrors the commercial Lyra line.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Speaking of Kuzma, does anyone know who makes the CAR line of carts for Kuzma? I had heard it was Lyra, and if so, I wonder if the Kuzma line mirrors the commercial Lyra line.
I think I've heard/read that ZYX do. But I could be wrong.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
I am now looking at the TechDAS Air Force lll, if someone has this table and has compared it to other tables please let me know what you think. There is also a premium version of this table out now but it is to soon to know much about this table I think.
Thanks.

twintech

Dec 27, 2019
Hi,

I was fortunate enough, some time back, to find an amazing deal on a Kuzma Stabi M with 11" 4-point. It also came with the periphery ring, which I use quite often. This table is going to stay with me for the long run, and I am glad to answer any questions. I'm also pretty familiar with the Kuzma XLDC and SME 30/12a. All three are phenomenal tables. Vs direct drive, or perhaps idlers, I find choosing really depends heavily on system synergy, room acoustic properties, and most importantly personal preferences. For me, the idlers are certainly finicky and easy to make sound unenjoyable. I've heard Garrard 301s sound absolutely relentless in certain rooms with certain systems, for example. The Technics DDs can be quite good, but again for me, tend towards having a bit too much leading edge and being a tad mechanical rather than musical. With my Stabi M though, I do find very expressive, dynamic carts to be a great fit. I use the Transfiguration Proteus. The overall sound oozes detail in layers with a holographic soundstage and well fleshed out instruments. There is just an overall ease of presentation about it that is so natural. As trite as it is to say, I just get lost in the music.

Last point: I can not agree with the complaint about Kuzma build quality. I've never heard anyone even suggest Kuzma build quality was subpar. In fact, the Stabi M is built like a tank. Literally. The 4 point is an extremely precise set-and-forget arm than extracts more detail from the grooves than just about any arm you're going to find. An absolute joy to use, listen to, and built to last three lifetimes.

Good luck!!
Hi, I have the chance to purchase either a Kuzma Stabi M in walnut ex - dem or a Kuzma Stabi XL - DC used but as new. They are both around the same price! It is impossible to hear them both together though. I am torn between them, so I need some help and advise please. I already have a Kuzma 4 Point tonearm. Many thanks.

twintech

Dec 27, 2019
Hi,

I was fortunate enough, some time back, to find an amazing deal on a Kuzma Stabi M with 11" 4-point. It also came with the periphery ring, which I use quite often. This table is going to stay with me for the long run, and I am glad to answer any questions. I'm also pretty familiar with the Kuzma XLDC and SME 30/12a. All three are phenomenal tables. Vs direct drive, or perhaps idlers, I find choosing really depends heavily on system synergy, room acoustic properties, and most importantly personal preferences. For me, the idlers are certainly finicky and easy to make sound unenjoyable. I've heard Garrard 301s sound absolutely relentless in certain rooms with certain systems, for example. The Technics DDs can be quite good, but again for me, tend towards having a bit too much leading edge and being a tad mechanical rather than musical. With my Stabi M though, I do find very expressive, dynamic carts to be a great fit. I use the Transfiguration Proteus. The overall sound oozes detail in layers with a holographic soundstage and well fleshed out instruments. There is just an overall ease of presentation about it that is so natural. As trite as it is to say, I just get lost in the music.

Last point: I can not agree with the complaint about Kuzma build quality. I've never heard anyone even suggest Kuzma build quality was subpar. In fact, the Stabi M is built like a tank. Literally. The 4 point is an extremely precise set-and-forget arm than extracts more detail from the grooves than just about any arm you're going to find. An absolute joy to use, listen to, and built to last three lifetimes.

Good luck!!
Hi Again,
Yes, that would be great, and very helpful indeed...
Thanks.
Regards,
Lynford.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
M is better than XLDC. Possibly suspension plays a role in this particular thing.

I can give you my impressions on the M vs XLDC if it'll help. I've heard both extensively. PM me.

Reactions: Vienna and twintech

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
OK, in what way is it better?

It's just more musical, flows better and has some sort of direct drive dynamic impact/rhythm. Also Roy Gregory prefers it to the other kuzma at least that is what he told a friend when asked about the kuzma tables

Reactions: twintech and Vienna

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Bazelio, with which systems would you prefer which one? More concrete: if one has a 4Point with Lyra Atlas resp. Airline with Koetsu or Air Tight, what would you recommend?

And how would you compare both Kuzma systems with a Balance?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I've heard these Kuzma tables in various different systems including my own. I've only heard a Balance once and not in a way that would allow for direct comparison. However, I do feel confident in saying the Balance is closer to the M than to the XLDC. The Balance "probably" has more smoothness than the M which is going to be a matter of preference (with me most likely preferring the M). From time to time, I toy with the idea of a side-grade to the Balance for the sake of having the ability to add a second arm. But then I'm unsure I'd like the Balance over the M, or even as much as it. Obviously, the XLDC has the advantage of multiple arm pods as desired.

In PM to @twintech , I recommended the XLDC based on my gut feeling that his frontend of Ayon with VTL is going to provide the "flow" while the XLDC will provide pace, rhythm, and an effortless sense of drive and even delicacy when needed. I've heard the XLDC with warm systems consisting of Zesto, EAR, and other romantic tubed gear. The XLDC is the better table there, while the M doesn't do as well cutting through the veil. Effortlessness is a hallmark of the XLDC along with an expansive and deep soundstage in these systems. However, those particular systems are not my own cup of tea, and for me, the M excels with transparency. I've got silver step-up, Emia LR phono (direct coupled triode stages, no caps), silver passive AVC line stage, and Dart 108 amp. It's not the absolute last word in transparency, but I will say that at this point, every little tweak I make is readily audible. And, I'm certain that I prefer the M to the XLDC in my own system. So it goes...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fremer in follow up articles has referred to balance positives and kuzma limitations, which resonate with me.

On PM Vienna told me that he listens mainly to rock, jazz, blues, and almost no classical, so I suggested against the brinkmann and recommended Tang's EMT instead. The restorer is in Holland

Reactions: twintech and Vienna

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Rock on the Balance isn't going to be my choice vs XLDC. Never. Jazz I like on both. Overall I feel the Balance imparts a bit of smoothness on the sound. The Balance had surprisingly good bass, but then the M has good bass slam as well as texture and tune. The XLDC bass might be a bit "too tight" in some chains ... to the extent that's a thing.

Reactions: Vienna and twintech

Vienna

VIP/Donor
would it be correct assume the following?

1. XLDC, due to the absence of suspension will provide a harder sound than Stabi M

2. Stabi M, because of the suspension will provide a smoother sound

3. Both XLDC and Stabi M due to the belt material and motor with higher torque , will be more dynamic than the balance

4. Balance more lush/relaxed sound is due to the belt material? Or weaker motor? Or both?

lastly taking into account that the Balance design has been the same for decades, does this mean that the bearing is of superior design?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I don't know all the answers. But I don't think "harder" is the right adjective in my experience with XLDC vs M. XLDC generally sounds more "precise". The way I look at it is the XLDC can be too much of a good thing in that regards when paired with certain electronics. In those cases, I'd say it starts to sound mechanical. But then the "flow" and supposed "musicality" of the M and presumably the Balance can just as easily become too much of a good thing in other systems. All in my opinion. And of the three, my educated guess based on what I have heard in different systems (and thus subject to question) is that the Balance has the most bloom and lushness like you say. Fremer had a great review of the M in which he said its only downside (in his opinion) was that it lacked bloom compared to other top tables. This might be one reason that I actually prefer it. Horses for courses. I certainly never defer to the opinions of those who are paid to give them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing