Manufacturers Reference Speakers

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
These full-range ribbons with bass-boxes have been our reference and used at shows for 8 years. Perfect condition. We are selling them because we have upgraded to Vapor Nimbus. The ribbons are heavily modified, including new crossover boards using the best parts available as well as rewiring all internal harnesses. They are very heavy-duty and have been a workhorse for us. Efficient enough to be used with 30W tubes or 100W SS. They have been ideal for trade shows because they throw a nice image whether sitting, standing or off-axis. No loss of HF when standing. These are very dynamic, unlike the typical ribbon or electrostatic.

Soundline Ribbons.JPG

Soundline Ribbon side view.JPG

A steal at $3500 plus shipping. They can be shipped in the original 4 boxes with packing using UPS GND.

More info:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151272.0

Steve N.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Very nice, they remind me of Carver ALS IIIs I had years ago only much longer and probably much better.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Very nice, they remind me of Carver ALS IIIs I had years ago only much longer and probably much better.

I think they were modeled after the Carver amazing loudspeaker or something similar. I have yet to hear anything in any stereo salon that beats them for imaging and vocalist. Bass from the bass-box is very punchy and well integrated with the ribbon. Good slam factor. Many speakers like this sound like two speakers, not one. These sound like one.

My new Nimbus speakers I also used at shows before buying them. I have used several very high-end speakers over the years, but nothing like the Nimbus, particularly with tubes. Very efficient and accurate. The only downside is you really need to be seated and not too far off-axis. The ribbons are a better party speaker because of off-axis response.

These are the Nimbus - definitely not for sale!!

Vapor Nimbus2.jpg

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
bump:rolleyes:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
They are interesting speakers!

What ribbon driver do they use?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing