Toe in the water

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
When I moved across the country I gave my Technics rs1500 and Tascam 32 with a dear friend due to size and weight

Now I think I would like to try again as I have a large collection of live jazz recordings on 1/4 in

I am thinking either an otari, Tascam ATR- 60, or Revox pr99 which are all in the right price point for me

Any thoughts on these ....

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
One of the less expensive UHA models from Greg Beron is an easy, turn-key way to get started with a machine with a warranty.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
One of the less expensive UHA models from Greg Beron is an easy, turn-key way to get started with a machine with a warranty.

Yes Ron agreed but the UHA basic version is 3 times the cost of the ones I have mentioned
Buys a lot of repairs new heads and tape :)

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
ATR 60 is solid good-sounding and -looking machine, but uncertain about spares supply
I had an all out Tape Project Otari 5050II, which I didn´t like at all. Neither the sound nor the operation
ReVox PR99mk II or III is a reliable machine, with good access to spares and there´s several interesting mods around to elevate the performance
I´ve owned them all ...
my 2 cents
best
Leif

jdcolombo

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't owned the ATR60 or Otari, but I had a PR99 that I wish I'd kept. Solid machine with excellent sound quality even in stock form, and since they were basically the same as the B77, there are lots of spare parts available and excellent techs to repair/refurbish them. Unfortunately, the prices have gone through the roof for good used examples - I bought mine for $600 back in 2007, then sold it in 2009. Good examples seem to go for > $2000 today.

Tascam BR20's are in the same price range - I have one of those (got it nearly new in 2007 along with the PR99), and it's excellent. Might not equal my Studer A810, but the BR20 was produced until the early 2000's, so you can still find parts (including brand new heads). Transport is very gentle on tape, the elapsed-time counter is spot-on with three memory positions, and it has both XLR outputs at pro level (+4 dbu) along with RCA's at consumer level (0 dbv). My recollection is that the PR99 is XLR only, although it has a monitor output at consumer level that you can rig a DIN plug for to connect to a home stereo if you don't want to deal with the XLR outputs.

John C.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thank you both
Excellent feedback

Spares I think is big issue

I am leaning to the PR99 especially as the one I am interested in has been fully refurbished and serviced

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you think about adding an external head amplifier IMHO the old A700 is the Revox tape machine to get. The tape handling mechanism is much better than the B77/PR99 series, spares are cheap and easily available, although standard playback electronics is of lower quality than the other machines - and these old linear pots could be really noisy!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Surely, but then prices rise significantly, as well as service costs.

since threadstarter is down under I´m not familiar with the local prices, but I´ve bought at least 4x B67 for less than 800USD, which I guess is about the same as for an A700
reg service and parts he´s got nagravox practically "on his doorstep".......

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
I've got a recapped B67 floor model for sale for $2500 USD, but shipping would be about $850 to get it to an airport near you. Have about 80 other machines in stock as well at www.reeltoreeltech.com if you're interested.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thanks Curt

For the offer

Just had a look at your website and excellent advice on purchasing
How do you view all the machines you offer?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing