New Table Decision.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
The arm board extensions are very cool
Are they blocks of aluminium?
How are they attached? Or free standing?

Are they bespoke or oem accessories ?

Looking closer at the armboard on the left...it doesn’t look parallel to the plinth, possible reason arm didn’t sound so good ??

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
awsmone The arm boards bolt to the bottom of the plinth with two bolts and the blank arm board is solid aluminum.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
You can attach the armboards directly to the main plinth (where the platter sits) as Gary mentioned, since they have mounting holes underneath. Granted, it's not ideal, but it'll do if you don't want to go for the full system.

I want to give it a try, to see how a more minimalist system (SP-10 + armboard + Kuzma 4point 9" for instance) would sound, versus a full SP-1000 system. At this point, it's all conjecture...

Also, I'm sure there'll be plenty of options for a base from 3rd party vendors...

cheers,
alex

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
aslufy, The arm board that comes with the SL-1000R table is attached the same way the other two arm boards are, with two bolts. I am hoping the motor has very little rumble because of the way the way the arm board is attached to the plinth.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Sprit, Mike Fremer said in his review the Stabi M exhibited less bloom and ease of musical expression compared with other tables and Paul Seydor of the Absolute Sound said there is evidence of a certain fission of liveliness that he did not hear from SME or Basis tables and it did not have the back-ground blackness that those tables have. I am not saying the table is bad just pointing out what other reviewers have said about it. Franc Kuzma is a great guy and he will answer any questions one might have about his tables, that alone means so much to me. Right now it is a tossup to me which way to go, just not sure as I will not have a chance to hear either table before I buy.

The M is very even handed. If you want bloom, why not dial it in via cart loading, phono tubes, etc? In terms of ease of expression and blackness vs the SME, I disagree. My SME dealer is 3 miles down the road and I've listened to the 30/12a many, many times. It's a great table, but I don't find it as effortless as the M when mated with the SME arms. Too much of a good thing, maybe. My dealer ended up swapping out the SME arm on his 30 for a Graham Phantom II, which was a step in the right direction subjectively. And as to "fission of liveliness"... who knows what that means, but it sounds like a person who has a preference for a darker, warmer sound. The Stabi M with 4-point is very linear and isn't going to be forgiving of bad recordings, brighter carts, etc. The Proteus is an explosive cart, and on the M, it's not the least bit fatiguing.

I'd certainly echo @spiritofmusic and say, listen before you buy. If you can't listen to a Kuzma first, then you might be best to eliminate it from contention. It's too big, and too personal a purchase to base off paid reviewer commentary.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing