Over-Ear Headphones That Can Listen To Both Rock And Classical Music

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
I listen to Rock and Classical music. Some over-ear headphones have emphasized the bass(Beats, Bose), which is good for listening to Rock music, but not very good for listening to Classical music.

I'm looking for a luxury over-ear headphone that can listen to both Rock and Classical. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Look at the brand Mr. Speakers. Terrific sound and build quality.

If you can do open back designs, I also like Audeze, an industry leader.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What is your budget? I have read great things about the new Focal Clear ($1499). I personally like the Sennheiser 650 which was recommended by a number of big-rig audiophiles here on WBF. Then there is the Sennheiser Orpheus 2!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I just got some Sony MDR Z1R hedphones. They sound like a great 300b tube amp on good speakers. The sound is unique in the way it dissolves and emerges from the headphone sound space. The lowest bass octaves are clear and well represented, but not overwhelming. The bass does not bleed and obscure the midrange and I think the tuning works very well for all kinds of music. Imaging is quite large for a closed headphone. Tonality is rich, and I find them hypnotic to listen through. Detail sneaks up on you, but is excellent.

There is a lot of reflex Sony bashing on the internet for some reason. However, there are some who have sold their Sony R10 headphones (expensive bio cellulose classic headphone unobtanium) when they got their Z1R so it is possibly a modern classic, in spite of mixed reviews.

Some people seem to like an icy, resolving, bass light headphone for classical. I don't know why, since classical music I have heard has quit a bit of bass and lower midrange.

In lieu of the Z1R is the Sony MDR Z7. The Z7 is not as refined, but is still excellent, and is currently the best bargain in high end headphones. I also have Z7 that I use in Pleasanton. Both headphones are very well made and very comfortable.

The Z7 can be found for as low as $325 or so, and the Z1R's trending low prices tend to be in the 1500 to 1800 range or so US dollars.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
Which model in Audeze would you recommend?

The Sony Z1R is expensive. And I still have one question about the Sony Hi-Res products that has not been solved.

Can I use the Sony Z1R with my iPhone 6 Plus or Mac? Do I need to use the Z1R with Sony Portable Amplifier and Sony Walkman to get the best sound quality? Since they're all Hi-Res, and my iPhone and Mac does not have Hi-Res.

Thanks.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'm interested in the same thing - an approximately $500 headphone that is preferably open back. I'm not sure I want to jump to $800 for Mr. Speakers despite the reviews.

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
I would check out either the Sure SRH1540 (closed back) or the Sure SRH1840 (open back).

They both retail for $499.

Before I got my Grado GS2000e ($1400), I owned a pair of SRH1840. For $500, 'they punched quite a bit over their weight class'. For the price range, very detailed and accurate.

Prog rock and classical are what I listen to, also.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
A shootout on Audiogon of 60 different headphones led to a couple of contenders:

ZMF Blackwood in African Cherry

Kennerton Odin

Monolith M1060

The ZMF is over the ear closed.

If you want something affordable, try the HIFI man planar phones. The 400's can be powered by iPhone.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm interested in the same thing - an approximately $500 headphone that is preferably open back. I'm not sure I want to jump to $800 for Mr. Speakers despite the reviews.

Personally like the Sennheiser 600-series, 600, 650...i got a package deal for 395 including 650 + Apogee Groove Digital driver for my wife when she listens on her laptop.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
MR. SPEAKERS, SHURE, GRADO, ZMF, KENNERTON, MONOLITH

Are these brands popular? I do not live in the US, hence not familiar with the brands.

BTW, I listen to music at home, should I get a closed-back or open-back portable over-ears headphone?

Thanks.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing