Cinematography | The Best

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
_________

Because Blade Runner 2049 is getting released tomorrow on all video formats...4K UHD Blu-ray, 1080p Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray, DVD and digital copies. And because he is also one of the best in his art of composition, framing, moving, perspective, focus, long shots, closeups, various fields of view. The films he shot speak for themselves.

I will feed this thread as life feeds itself.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I enjoyed that very much. Thanks Bob :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Wish I had a list of movies from that first video. Although I don't agree with #3 at all, and am sure I could come up with some others that could potentially be on the list.

I really do appreciate good cinematography. It's a driving force for me wanting to see certain movies, where I know it's going to look amazing.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Thanks for posting Bob...stunning and beautiful.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That is encouraging. I watched Blade Runner 2049 last night, in 2D, the way it was filmed, and all scenes in widescreen aspect ratio, no IMAX scenes.

What I liked best is the fluidity of the light movements. ...And the music score, of course. I also liked the smoothness of the camera work, no handshake camera here, the guy is a pro who respects the viewers, us.

It's a long film @ 164 minutes, and it's the definitive Denis Villeneuve's vision (he had an earlier version running just over four hours long). Denis said that we will never see that earlier version, because what we have here is the director's cut.

I will revisit Blade Runner 2049 again, next in 3D, just for pleasure.
Movie magic by the masters; direction, cinematography, music composers...for some of the best film's transportation.

Thanks to you who appreciate good life @ the music cabaret and movie house, in & out.

Last edited:

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Pretty good list.

But how is Gordon Willis not on there?

Emmanuel Lubezki, Jordan Cronenweth, Darius Khonji, Greig Fraser and Christopher Doyle deserve a mention, too, surely.

Best,

853guy

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Pretty good list.

But how is Gordon Willis not on there?

Emmanuel Lubezki, Jordan Cronenweth, Darius Khonji, Greig Fraser and Christopher Doyle deserve a mention, too, surely.

Best,

853guy

Oh but fasten your seatbelt. I'm going slow*, just the way we like it here.
There's a full program coming up, but I think it's best to take the time and digest good. That, from experience here @ WBF, with the first class clientele and universal around the globe.

* New 2018 year's resolution.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
11 YouTube Channels Every Filmmaker Should Be Following

? https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/1...cebook&utm_term=1_sitevistors_facebook_mobile

______

Bonus:

? http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2018/10-long-movie-masterpieces-you-might-have-missed/

Out of ten how many did you see?
Four for me. I need to expand my cinematique horizon.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Film Directors we Like ... Among the Best

For me this is certainly one of them: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Almodóvar

The reason is mainly for the smooth camera work revealing exquisite and beautiful moving pictures.
Plus his choice of music...magic synchrosisation.
And also because I love beautiful women faces.
He's an artist, a canvas cinema painter master. ...And he knows how to paint with emotions, how to direct his actors, how to frame his shots, how to pick his locales, how to show art in its most intimate passion of the visual soul.

He's among my top favorite film directors. ...Smooth, real smooth, smooth operator.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing