Do I need an HDMI extender?

dabwolf

Jan 15, 2018
Hey guys,

Looking for some help regarding sending an HDMI signal to multiple rooms. I am honestly not quite sure what i'm looking for, I've checked on Amazon, and ebay, so confusing what people are talking about. I also stumbled on this site searching on google, https://bzbexpress.com/extenders/hdmi-extenders/ , is an HDMI extender what I need?

We want to send our cable signal to 3 rooms, one room is 65 ft. away, while the other 2 rooms are about 90 ft. I thought I was looking for a splitter, but can a splitter cover that distance and will the quality be ok? Any guidance would be appreciated.

-Dabbie

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
We want to send our cable signal to 3 rooms, one room is 65 ft. away, while the other 2 rooms are about 90 ft. I thought I was looking for a splitter, but can a splitter cover that distance and will the quality be ok? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I am not the expert here, but I have been told by reliable sources that transmission over great distances is best served by the latest CAT series cable (6 or 7) and then converted back to HDMI at the TV or projector.

65 to 90 feet is a LONG transmission distance.

Last edited:

dabwolf

Jan 15, 2018
Thanks guys, taking everything into consideration and doing my research. If the TV's i'm sending the signal to only support 1080p, I probably don't need an extender that supports HDMI 2.0 or HDCP 2.2 correct? I'm seeing that those extenders are just too expensive. Our tvs are fairly modern, but it's not 4K.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
1. Today's 4K TVs are very inexpensive, on average. So tomorrow you might have them in your home.
Best is to have HDMI cables that support them, and they are inexpensive.

2. Your runs are long, 65 and 90 feet. I would contact a professional for advice.
HDMI cables with runs of over say 50 feet are a gamble. You may lose picture and sound quality.

3. The links I gave you; you can register and ask some of the pros there.
They might have some solutions to your long runs or other options.

https://www.lifewire.com/connect-hdmi-long-distances-3975780
https://www.hdmi.org/installers/longcablelengths.aspx

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The link for AVSforum that Northstar posted is a very good resource. However, once you get over 60 feet it is trial and error with your equipment. I just got a 4k projector and I am using 2 different HDMI 40 foot cables, one monoprice and one Ruipro. Both work at this point.

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
I use several Monoprice RedMere HDMI cables to good effect for a 50' distance. They are used for video, Bluray, DVD-A and the audio return channel. The Audioquest cables a dealer sold me for 3x the price would not connect with any pieces of equipment I had. (Inexpensive 6' cables that came with the player, etc. would.) He gave me a more expensive replacement and that did not work either. He offered to send his installer over. He told me I had problems with the firmware in my equipment. When asked he had no Idea what firmware was except "you download it." I asked what his normal billing rate was for his installer. What I did was give him a bill for my time troubleshooting his merchandise.

As the person above said, I would also try the Monoprice HDMI optical cables for any runs but certainly extremely long runs. They were no available at the time. Finally, I have always found Monoprice tries to make their customers' happy. They have sent me replacements just on my word alone. Not all their offerings are STOA but they glean out the bad stuff pretty quickly.

That being said I would use the highest bandwidth or spec cables I can get within your budget. You know that they are going to increase the bandwidth of the devices and the media. Why not spend a little extra now? Do you really want to be pulling cables in a year or two? Time better spent enjoying music, video, and life.

Finally, profession installers' knowledge varies all over the map.
Having a long term back ground in computers starting with being on the team that developed thinwire Ethernet and the first slim-line routers, etc., I can tell you that many installers at just cable pullers. why? Folks are more interested in an automated home where shades go up and down and they can stream music over Bluetooth....The dealer I referred to above now only does custom installs. He has 10 trucks but no high-end hifi anymore.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I use several Monoprice RedMere HDMI cables to good effect for a 50' distance. They are used for video, Bluray, DVD-A and the audio return channel.

My Monoprice RedMere cable is only rated for 10.2Gbps but it successfully passes a 4k HDR signal. Go figure.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing