Aitos EV 903 250 watt OTL amplifier

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Surely the best approach will be to stick with those companies that are tried and tested, the usual suspects, and those left-field candidates that have a solid provenance like NAT Audio. How many companies on your friend’s Mono And Stereo website are still in business 12 months later?

I think that geographic location and distribution is a key point in this search. Many of these small companies have excellent products, give good local assistance and service, but are not able to give worldwide assistance.

Playing the devil's advocate, IMHO NAT Audio ranks with the other usual suspects ... :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’m not so sure about that Francisco. Nat Audio from Serbia sell very healthily in E and Central Europe, Germany, Russia and China. They’ve had US distrbn before, and Dejan has been in direct communication w Ked, Ron, me etc.
They’ve been around successfully for nearly two decades now, so fulfil the provenance/experience criteria that Ron values.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I agree with you, Marc.

I am less thrilled with Dejan's (reported) tendency to make on-the-fly component changes along the way of his production.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I’m not so sure about that Francisco. Nat Audio from Serbia sell very healthily in E and Central Europe, Germany, Russia and China. They’ve had US distrbn before, and Dejan has been in direct communication w Ked, Ron, me etc.
They’ve been around successfully for nearly two decades now, so fulfil the provenance/experience criteria that Ron values.

I surely expected that you would disagree, but you confirmed exactly my point. I do not know about Ron criteria, but they would not please mine.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Call me snobbish, but I don't why anyone would build a SOTA system around an amp that looks like it is built in a garage.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, you surely don’t believe Nat are alone in doing this? I believe Musical Fidelity regularly used to alter tube configuration from one “identical” amp to the next.
I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of designers just pick up the nearest component on the test bench and crow bar it into the chassis.
I like the fact my NATs are unique compared to the next guy’s.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Francisco. Years ago I wouldn’t have touched Nat on principle. But they’re ability to combine tube delicacy and SS like muscle is totally addictive, and 4 years of ownership has only intensified the love.
But I would never expect anyone else to overlook their own requirements if Nat doesn’t satisfy them.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think that geographic location and distribution is a key point in this search. Many of these small companies have excellent products, give good local assistance and service, but are not able to give worldwide assistance.

Playing the devil's advocate, IMHO NAT Audio ranks with the other usual suspects ... :)

I agree, it is a one man co with Ltd distribution and service suffers as a result. Such companies the person should be willing to engage direct, go through long periods of shipping back and forth for repairs, or have a local technician handy locally.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hey Francisco. Years ago I wouldn’t have touched Nat on principle. But they’re ability to combine tube delicacy and SS like muscle is totally addictive, and 4 years of ownership has only intensified the love.
But I would never expect anyone else to overlook their own requirements if Nat doesn’t satisfy them.

Surely - you now live in the UK, close to the European service center. We will speak again after the Brexit ...
BTW, I have no doubt NAT sound quality represents great value for money - particularly considering their low prices in Europe. But this is Ron's thread!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
After brexit UK will become a tax haven and all rich audiophiles will move here as well as struggling audio manufacturers to take advantage of negligible corporate tax. My trips will be confined to tube travel and evenings

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, you surely don’t believe Nat are alone in doing this? I believe Musical Fidelity regularly used to alter tube configuration from one “identical” amp to the next.
I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of designers just pick up the nearest component on the test bench and crow bar it into the chassis.
I like the fact my NATs are unique compared to the next guy’s.

I hoped NAT was alone in doing this!

Yes, Marc, I know you like bespoke! I know you like one-of-a-kind even better.

But one-of-a-kind scares me. I am the guy who wants the last Ferrari off the assembly line (for greater reliability after they had a lot of practice making the earlier copies), not the first one (for early adopter bragging rights).

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No way Ked.
You DO know we’re not exactly leaving?
We mirror EU “high standards” ad infinitum, while never sitting at the table to influence those standards.
About the worst dogs dinner compromise you could come up with.
No chance we become Singapore On The North Sea.
I’m afraid your Air Miles will continue to rack up.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, you mean the last one just as the scandal of dodgy practices is about to get revealed.
Don’t go for a coastal drive that first day.
*not referring to Ferrari, could be any make.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was kidding. Trying to rationalize, like audiophiles do after making an incorrect decision (like many Brits did) that can't be reversed

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You can’t say it was an incorrect decision. You can say it’s not the decision you’d have wanted. But the customer is always right, all 52% of them. If the Govt actually provided Brexit, there’d be something to talk about.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing