Downsizing - Speaker recommendations

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The JBLs bested the MM3s in some aspects (dynamics and imaging), but vocals and acoustic instruments just did not sound natural to me (maybe the aduiophile attribute lacking is "timbre"). I'm hopeful the Giya will have excellent timbre based on what I heard at Axpona.

Which JBLs? If you are talking about the K2 and the M2, yes

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I hear you about Steve N, but to set things straight Ryan, the owner of Vapor... his wife died in a fire. He's trying to recover from that and finish up existing orders before taking more orders. If this wasn't the case I'd recommend Vapor speakers as well, they are excellent and a great value. Judging them from what you hear at shows is obviously not 100% fair, all other brands get a pass at not having perfect show sound. If you like Accuton and Raal it's hard to go wrong imo.

All that said it's also true Vapor hasn't always delivered on time, but they deserve a break and should be judged on how things go once they start taking orders again. IMO, Ryan is a good guy and I hope Vapor does well in the future.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Listen if you can to the Kaiser Kawero Chiara. Superb speakers with a small footprint. Extreme attention to details, superb craftmanship and made by Panzerholz, Duelund, Mundorf etc etc.

These speakers will outperform most other "stand mount" speakers. I used to own a pair, moved on to Kaiser Kawero Classic. If you value pride of ownership, look no further :). Good luck.

JP

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
obviously you are having a tough time retaining the performance of the MM3's in a smaller speaker (no surprise there....not that I'm biased or anything :))

you might contact Jonathan about the new small form factor Evolution Acoustics speaker (with the MM7 crossover) that was at the LA Show. it betters the MM3 in some ways and it will fit in small places (has an outboard crossover). it likely will be in a similar price range as other one's recommended here (I don't know the price).

it's a very fine sounding speaker. I was at Kevin's place when he was voicing it and all it's drivers are designed by Kevin.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
What would you think about speakers that mounted on the wall, taking up a total area or around 5 ft wide each , and with a much smaller protrusion under 2 ft? It would allow electronics and/or seating underneith them.

Forget everything you think you know about the acoustic aspects, or wall aspects, etc. Nothing applies. Just the idea of the amount of space they take.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
What would you think about speakers that mounted on the wall, taking up a total area or around 5 ft wide each , and with a much smaller protrusion under 2 ft? It would allow electronics and/or seating underneith them.

Forget everything you think you know about the acoustic aspects, or wall aspects, etc. Nothing applies. Just the idea of the amount of space they take.

I'm not extremely space constrained and do not necessarily need to downsize to monitors or something even smaller. The issue is I have 1800lbs worth of speakers / crates and a dedicated room, and I will probably lose the dedicated room when I downsize my residence + I don't want to be forced to do a very quick firesale on the MM3s if I decide to move. So I want to take my time to find a top performing speaker with smaller footprint, but 150lbs a piece floorstanders would be just fine.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I dont think that answers the question, unless you simply mean you just prefer to keep a conventional audiophile room setup, performance and such else being equal.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I dont think that answers the question, unless you simply mean you just prefer to keep a conventional audiophile room setup, performance and such else being equal.

I'm all in favor of small footprint unobtrusive speakers, as long as they perform up to audiophile standards.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Which speakers are these?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I heard a great Quad/Naim combination at Jonathan's place some months back (IFI bonzo) - great musical setup.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
obviously you are having a tough time retaining the performance of the MM3's in a smaller speaker (no surprise there....not that I'm biased or anything :))

you might contact Jonathan about the new small form factor Evolution Acoustics speaker (with the MM7 crossover) that was at the LA Show. it betters the MM3 in some ways and it will fit in small places (has an outboard crossover). it likely will be in a similar price range as other one's recommended here (I don't know the price).

it's a very fine sounding speaker. I was at Kevin's place when he was voicing it and all it's drivers are designed by Kevin.

Mike,

That was one of my suggestions to edorr (in private), but he indicated he wants to try something from a more mainstream vendor, and I can understand that.
But you're right, I've also heard the new model, with Kevin's post-LA Show improvements, and it's really an incredible speaker, and at the prices they're considering offering, a veritable bargain.

cheers,
alex

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Update. Scooped up the pair of 4 months old Giya G3 Series 2 that appeared on Audiogon yesterday. The MM3s will be listed shortly. If the G3s disappoint, I'll sell them as well and try something else.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Update. Scooped up the pair of 4 months old Giya G3 Series 2 that appeared on Audiogon yesterday. The MM3s will be listed shortly. If the G3s disappoint, I'll sell them as well and try something else.

I noticed those on the site yesterday. Very nice speaker and I'm sure will be a major step up over your current speakers.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I noticed those on the site yesterday. Very nice speaker and I'm sure will be a major step up over your current speakers.

I currently own Evolution Acoustics MM3, so I'm not to sure. However, it its a cash flow neutral sonically lateral move I'm a happy camper. I need to physically downsize.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
good luck , they are beautiful sounding speakers (the original series) , you are lucky to get a series 2
My best audiophile pal has a set of them so Im pretty familiar with the sound
What colour are yours? What are you driving them with.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
good luck , they are beautiful sounding speakers (the original series) , you are lucky to get a series 2
My best audiophile pal has a set of them so Im pretty familiar with the sound
What colour are yours? What are you driving them with.

They are blue. Driving them with PS Audio Bascom Monoblocks. Hopefully providing enough juice.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
you sold all your Spectral gear for PS Audio, right?

that should be a great match - Luxman always worked well with Vivid and I imagine PS Audio is in a similar vein.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing