Thales Simplicity II tonearm

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I see the Thales tonearm is Marshall Nacks product of the Year along with the 15k Opus cart - a match made in heaven as it is with every cartridge.

https://positive-feedback.com/audio...tive-feedback-writers-choice-awards-for-2017/

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/thales-turntable/

Thales Simplicity II Tonearm $9200

The Thales tonearm is the company's claim to fame. They took the ancient mathematical concept of the Thales' Circle and came up with a design that combines the advantages of a conventional pivoted tonearm and those of a linear tracking pick-up arm.

After I installed the Simplicity II tonearm, records that had never played cleanly were suddenly distortion free. From lead-in to run-off groove—there was no difference—it all played clean and instruments at extreme left/right margins of the stage were full range, dynamic, and clear as those in the center. The lack of distortion was truly remarkable.

The Simplicity II Tonearm was a revelation. And no air pump is required!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The new Thales Statement is in my radar. Is the Thales difficult to setup a cart with?

Tang

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I am very curious about both of these Thales arms. I had a great experience with a Shroeder LT, can definitely hear it in the extremes. The arm was just a mis match for my rack..needs a more stable platform...I'm thinking the Thales will react more like my pivoted Spiral Goove Centriod arm...it moves with the slight rocking my on rack..and doesn't bother it...

Last edited:

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Also Thales Statement is in my radar,
so i am very happy to have a friend like Tang that buy first and do very good and detailed report to us

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Also Thales Statement is in my radar,
so i am very happy to have a friend like Tang that buy first and do very good and detailed report to us

I am talking to another friend in France who has been talking to Thales about the Statement like I talk to you about Lyra stepup. If buy 2 maybe more discount than one.

Ciao

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The new Thales Statement is in my radar. Is the Thales difficult to setup a cart with?

Tang

I have not used the Statement, however setup is similar. The cartridge alignment jig is easy as the headshell is separate from the tonearm. You can have multiple headshells with carts aligned ready to go. After you slide the headshell/cartridge into the tonearm slot you attach the headshell wires to the cartridge.

Adjustment of tracking weight is a little extra time as it does not move on a screw like normal tonearms.

There is no adjustment for anti skating as it is built into the tonearm geometry.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I am talking to another friend in France who has been talking to Thales about the Statement like I talk to you about Lyra stepup. If buy 2 maybe more discount than one.

Ciao

I am watching this Thales talk and the Schroeder LT talk. it seems one of those linear tracker's would be a good one to have on the AS-2000.

I wonder if anyone has compared those two approaches to linear tracking?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I see the Thales tonearm is Marshall Nacks product of the Year along with the 15k Opus cart - a match made in heaven as it is with every cartridge.

https://positive-feedback.com/audio...tive-feedback-writers-choice-awards-for-2017/

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/thales-turntable/

Thales Simplicity II Tonearm $9200

The Thales tonearm is the company's claim to fame. They took the ancient mathematical concept of the Thales' Circle and came up with a design that combines the advantages of a conventional pivoted tonearm and those of a linear tracking pick-up arm.

After I installed the Simplicity II tonearm, records that had never played cleanly were suddenly distortion free. From lead-in to run-off groove—there was no difference—it all played clean and instruments at extreme left/right margins of the stage were full range, dynamic, and clear as those in the center. The lack of distortion was truly remarkable.

The Simplicity II Tonearm was a revelation. And no air pump is required!

I love my Simplicity II with the Ortofon Anna. Just 4 weeks with it. My friend is using the statement and loving it even more! Thales makes great products.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I love my Simplicity II with the Ortofon Anna. Just 4 weeks with it. My friend is using the statement and loving it even more! Thales makes great products.

Great to hear Howie. I have been offered the Statement to demo at home. So far I have declined as only recently got Etna SL and now Atlas SL. Its also a lot more expensive than the Simplicity II.

Agree, the tonearms are up there with the best Swiss watch makers from a quality and build perspective.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Great to hear Howie. I have been offered the Statement to demo at home. So far I have declined as only recently got Etna SL and now Atlas SL. Its also a lot more expensive than the Simplicity II.

Agree, the tonearms are up there with the best Swiss watch makers from a quality and build perspective.

The statement is apparently amazing but my friend used the simplicity II for a while and still thinks it is one of the top arms in the world.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The statement is apparently amazing but my friend used the simplicity II for a while and still thinks it is one of the top arms in the world.

I have to ask, but what does your friend thinks the Statement adds to sonic equation over the Simplicity?

I struggle to find any real sonic weaknesses in the Simplicity II but clearly there are improvements that can be made with the Statement released.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I have to ask, but what does your friend thinks the Statement adds to sonic equation over the Simplicity?

I struggle to find any real sonic weaknesses in the Simplicity II but clearly there are improvements that can be made with the Statement released.

Now that is a question that I purposely did not ask. I don’t want to know, at least not yet!:rolleyes:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Now that is a question that I purposely did not ask. I don’t want to know, at least not yet!:rolleyes:

Ha ha. Sounds like we are on the same wave length. Ignorance is bliss. You don't know what you don't know :D

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Ha ha. Sounds like we are on the same wave length. Ignorance is bliss. You don't know what you don't know :D

I think I will wait for you to fall into the abyss first. Let us know how your demo goes (if you decide to to be brave)...another friend also brought over a pair of Vertere power cords and I told him to take it away...

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Go to AE forum. There is a user review thread on the Statement.

There are many Uber arms. People who have them always say they are extraordinary..regardless of technology used. In the end, it’s our desire that make buying decision because we don’t get to try them in our own system.

Kind regards,
Tang

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
the simplicity II is the best tone arm i ever heard till now!
its the only one that got me to un mount my clear audio TT2.. and its says a lot!
i'm also pairing the simplicity with an Ortodon Anna and DS AUDIO cart.
I ordered the RS212D from Ortofon (made in Japan) also to match my (on order) Synergy SPU cart...

i'm currently struggling to decide on my third arm...
on the list:

DV507MK2
IKEDA 407
SME 3012R
A.S AQUILAR \ AXIOM (if i get really crazy)
Kuzma 4p
Brinkman 12.1
etc..

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
the simplicity II is the best tone arm i ever heard till now!
its the only one that got me to un mount my clear audio TT2.. and its says a lot!
i'm also pairing the simplicity with an Ortodon Anna and DS AUDIO cart.
I ordered the RS212D from Ortofon (made in Japan) also to match my (on order) Synergy SPU cart...

i'm currently struggling to decide on my third arm...
on the list:

DV507MK2
IKEDA 407
SME 3012R
A.S AQUILAR \ AXIOM (if i get really crazy)
Kuzma 4p
Brinkman 12.1
etc..

I would like to try the AS arms next or even a Durand or da Vinci...

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
I had the Aquilar on my brinkman balance.
It’s a very fine allrounder tone arm!
I am really curious about the axiom.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The Thales Statement is getting absolutely stellar user reports on the AE forum, maybe it’s time for Mike to consider it for his AS-2000 (another in a long line of posts spending Mr. Lavigne’s heard earned).

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The Thales Statement is getting absolutely stellar user reports on the AE forum, maybe it’s time for Mike to consider it for his AS-2000 (another in a long line of posts spending Mr. Lavigne’s heard earned).

Marc, bless your heart for thinking of me.:rolleyes:

but honestly.........I've got so many balls in the air right now, i'm just trying to stay happliy married on the other side of the AS-2000......take a deep breath......and listen to some music. oh yes.....music.

and then maybe ponder some other things.

a Thales or Schroeder LT are on the ponder list somewhere, after the SAT, re-acquiring an NVS, and a few other baubles (it's a long 'ponder' list).

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing