Nagra HD Pre Amp arrived today

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
They have updates for both the pre and the amp. The preamp gets new power supply boards (2). It's quieter, more resolution, more involving. The amp is a software update and a internal ribbon cable change. The amp is also quieter, it's more tube like now in a richness of presentation and textures (not just the bass but everywhere). They pair were fantastic before, these updates are clearly better. On a scale of 1 -5 (5 being best) this is a like a 2. It's not like before wasn't great...just you won't go back after your hear it. I think the boards were $1750 and the sw was $750. I may be off slightly on the pricing (USD).

I like it when companies update what they have already sold you. dCS does this to. They sold (or rather I bought) a platform vs a device.

Thanks for the info John... and I couldn’t agree more re: DCS and Nagra as companies.

Sounds like rain

Dec 6, 2021
Hello, anyone here tried the CH Precision L10 vs the Nagra HD PreAmp? I am hoping to borrow the Nagra to take the plunge.
thanks

Attachments

• AB1F6688-43EC-45D9-900D-38A3861A51CE.jpeg
    AB1F6688-43EC-45D9-900D-38A3861A51CE.jpeg
    396.3 KB · Views: 51

mr-particle

Dec 20, 2012
Germany
Hello, anyone here tried the CH Precision L10 vs the Nagra HD PreAmp? I am hoping to borrow the Nagra to take the plunge.
thanks
Will you try the Nagra HD preamp with the ATCs 150 as shown?
I hope to receive my Nagra HD preamp next week and I am eager to hear how it will match with my ATC 150.
However, have fun with your trials.

Reactions: Sounds like rain

Sounds like rain

Dec 6, 2021
Will you try the Nagra HD preamp with the ATCs 150 as shown?
I hope to receive my Nagra HD preamp next week and I am eager to hear how it will match with my ATC 150.
However, have fun with your trials.
Yes,
I have tried the Nagra Classic and loved it.
do let us know how the HD sounds with ATCs.

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Sorry if this is a dumb question, how good is the DAC in the HD preamp, do you need a separate dac in the chain such as Tube Dac or HD Dac X? Anyone with first hand experience listening to dac (Tube Dac or Dac X) alone and then introduce the HD preamp? Thanks.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Sorry if this is a dumb question, how good is the DAC in the HD preamp, do you need a separate dac in the chain such as Tube Dac or HD Dac X? Anyone with first hand experience listening to dac (Tube Dac or Dac X) alone and then introduce the HD preamp? Thanks

Hi, never a dumb question. There is not a dac in the HD Preamp, its role is solely as a preamp for any source and following amp. So yes you do need a separate dac such as Tube DAC and HD Dac X from Nagra.

My dCS Vivaldi DAC can act as a preamp (it has a volume control). I greatly prefer using it with my Nagra HD Preamp than alone. I will say the transparency maybe a bit better with the DAC straight to the amps, but the overall portrayal of the music is better with a preamp.

As a building block approach, you can always start with something like a dCS DAC direct to amp, but one day you'll appreciate a good preamp....hope this helps

davetheoilguy

Jan 10, 2024
USA
I don't want to hijack a thread as a newbie, but I am seriously considering the Nagra HD preamp to replace what I consider the weak link in my system. Are you still happy with the Nagra?

I am seriously leaning toward the Nagra, but my other contenders are an Esoteric C1X and a used Dan D'Agostino Relentless Preamp, which is priced at roughly the new price of a Nagra. I am majorly turned off my its appearance, however. And the Esoteric seems a bit of a lateral move.

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Hi, never a dumb question. There is not a dac in the HD Preamp, its role is solely as a preamp for any source and following amp. So yes you do need a separate dac such as Tube DAC and HD Dac X from Nagra.

My dCS Vivaldi DAC can act as a preamp (it has a volume control). I greatly prefer using it with my Nagra HD Preamp than alone. I will say the transparency maybe a bit better with the DAC straight to the amps, but the overall portrayal of the music is better with a preamp.

As a building block approach, you can always start with something like a dCS DAC direct to amp, but one day you'll appreciate a good preamp....hope this helps I’m currently using my Tube Dac with a borrowed Luxman 900 preamp and amp combo. It’s going back so recently picked up the M10x and couldn’t be happier. I was just wondering if I needed a preamp or if a preamp would make any difference and you’ve answered that. Now I’ll have to just go ahead and throw more money away. lol.
I’m currently using my nagra tube dac with the Luxman 900 preamp/amp combo. Recently picked up the Luxman m10x and couldn’t be happier. So thank you for clearing thing up. Now just have to go ahead and throw more money out the window at this hobby. My dilemma is get Luxman matching preamp or nagra HD preamp?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I don't want to hijack a thread as a newbie, but I am seriously considering the Nagra HD preamp to replace what I consider the weak link in my system. Are you still happy with the Nagra?

I am seriously leaning toward the Nagra, but my other contenders are an Esoteric C1X and a used Dan D'Agostino Relentless Preamp, which is priced at roughly the new price of a Nagra. I am majorly turned off my its appearance, however. And the Esoteric seems a bit of a lateral move.

I am thrilled with my Nagra HD Preamp. I think you'll find the Nagra more engaging and truer to the source. Those others are very good, but the Nagra is something that will lure you to your music over and over. Never fatiguing, wonderful engineering and sound to die for.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I’m currently using my nagra tube dac with the Luxman 900 preamp/amp combo. Recently picked up the Luxman m10x and couldn’t be happier. So thank you for clearing thing up. Now just have to go ahead and throw more money out the window at this hobby. My dilemma is get Luxman matching preamp or nagra HD preamp?
I might consider a Nagra Classic Preamp, Classic PSU (for both your dac and preamp) and a Nagra Classic amp or keep the luxman amp. I think you'd be surprised by the Classic Preamp and the PSU betters your dac and the pre...

Reactions: davetheoilguy

davetheoilguy

Jan 10, 2024
USA
I am thrilled with my Nagra HD Preamp. I think you'll find the Nagra more engaging and truer to the source. Those others are very good, but the Nagra is something that will lure you to your music over and over. Never fatiguing, wonderful engineering and sound to die for.
Thank you so much. Or maybe not. The delta between Nagra and Esoteric price tag is great. LOL.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thank you so much. Or maybe not. The delta between Nagra and Esoteric price tag is great. LOL.
Haha, it's one of those pieces that once it's in your system, you know you spent your money well. Good Luck :)

davetheoilguy

Jan 10, 2024
USA
Haha, it's one of those pieces that once it's in your system, you know you spent your money well. Good Luck :)
One more question, kind of stupid I can’t figure this out from Nagra materials. What is the all-in height of the Nagra HD plus the power supply? I need to make sure it will fit in my rack.

The printed materials say 4.8 or 4.3 inches with the power supply, but that’s obviously wrong.

I’ve found one I desperately want and about to pull the trigger.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
If you stack them, plus the little ceramic ball bearing the separates the chassis
One more question, kind of stupid I can’t figure this out from Nagra materials. What is the all-in height of the Nagra HD plus the power supply? I need to make sure it will fit in my rack.

The printed materials say 4.8 or 4.3 inches with the power supply, but that’s obviously wrong.

I’ve found one I desperately want and about to pull the trigger.
If you stack them, plus the little ceramic ball bearing the separates the chassis, it's just under 9 1/2 inches. 4.8 inches is the power supply alone...

IMG_3027.JPG

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My Nagra HD is coming Monday! Yea!

Paired it with a Van den Hul Grail SE phonostage.

Very excited.
Congratulations ! One of this hobbies most anxious issues...knowing it's on the way but not there!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Who has tried different tubes in their HD Pre or Phono? I have RTC labeled Mullard 7308's in my phono stage and Amperex Miniwatt 7308's in my preamp. I think I like the Amperex better, more even, more dynamic, more extended. The mallards are still pretty darn nice with a bit of warmth and super quiet. (my HD pre came with mullards years ago, so my only experience is here mullards to Amperex)

What I am most curious about are Siemens CCA's from the 1960's. Any thoughts from someone who has tried the Siemens vs mullards/amperex?

In my prior Classic phono, I used mullards and loved them, but the HD phono is a different thing...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing