Untitled Document

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nagra HD Pre Amp arrived today

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Curious that I can not find the HD preamplifier on the Nagra site. Do you have the values of input and output impedance in the manual? (Yes, it is a mandatory question for Opus users ...)
    At last settled around the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and a pair of Wilson XLF's : Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT 2, cj ART monoblocks , TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Curious that I can not find the HD preamplifier on the Nagra site. Do you have the values of input and output impedance in the manual? (Yes, it is a mandatory question for Opus users ...)
    I just looked in the manual, it's a "provisional" manual and the finished version to come later. It does not have the specs. My dealer did call Transparent who did contact Nagra on my Transparent Opus cabling. The output impedance is variable with the transformer based volume control. I think, don't quote me on this, it can vary from .4 ohms up to 80 ohms. My Koda was 75 ohms output impedance. So Transparent asked me to try it as is...then as I decide on a normal volume range they may fine tune the cable. They felt anything lower than what the cable is set at is ok, anything higher for sure needs to go back. So far I've never had the volume past 1 o'clock (-10 db on the Nagra HD Pre) so i am under the 80 Ohm max output impedance (which would be +6b on the Nagra HD Pre).

My Magnum Opus cabling from dCS to HD Pre did not have to go back. Koda was 50k Ohm input ....
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Pre & Amp: Nagra HD Pre & Amp
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus on sources, Opus Gen 5 Pre to amps & speaker
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

If you are happy with Koda K 10,was interesting also K 15 that is in the same range of price of Nagra,even if my idea is to have same brand in top amp to have a better sinergy

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    I just looked in the manual, it's a "provisional" manual and the finished version to come later. It does not have the specs. My dealer did call Transparent who did contact Nagra on my Transparent Opus cabling. The output impedance is variable with the transformer based volume control. I think, don't quote me on this, it can vary from .4 ohms up to 80 ohms. My Koda was 75 ohms output impedance. So Transparent asked me to try it as is...then as I decide on a normal volume range they may fine tune the cable. They felt anything lower than what the cable is set at is ok, anything higher for sure needs to go back. So far I've never had the volume past 1 o'clock (-10 db on the Nagra HD Pre) so i am under the 80 Ohm max output impedance (which would be +6b on the Nagra HD Pre).

My Magnum Opus cabling from dCS to HD Pre did not have to go back. Koda was 50k Ohm input ....
    Thanks. Fortunately the Vivaldi has several output levels, you will be able to easily optimize the best range in the preamplifier for your system. How many steps do you have in the preamplifier volume?

BTW, I found this picture of a sketch of the footers of your new preamplifier during the design project - really impressive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    At last settled around the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and a pair of Wilson XLF's : Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT 2, cj ART monoblocks , TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Quote Originally Posted by gian60 View Post
    If you are happy with Koda K 10,was interesting also K 15 that is in the same range of price of Nagra,even if my idea is to have same brand in top amp to have a better sinergy
    I thought long and hard about the K-15ex. Someone in Texas owns a K-15 and had it recently upgraded to the EX version. Also the new Koda phono stage was quite intriguing. After my dealer heard a prototype HD preamp I took the plunge on the HD Pre. I'll miss the Koda, it was stellar in every way. My dealer has it on trade if anyone wants to try or buy it...

The potential for synergy gains seems to have been realized now that the HD pre has been playing for a few days. It's quite special
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS

Thanks. Fortunately the Vivaldi has several output levels, you will be able to easily optimize the best range in the preamplifier for your system. How many steps do you have in the preamplifier volume?

BTW, I found this picture of a sketch of the footers of your new preamplifier during the design project - really impressive.

The HD preamp doesn't seem to have steps. It has the traditional Nagra pots. But instead of the pots being used as a volume control the pots seem to be controlling relays that are adjusting taps on a transformer per channel. The volume seems to infinitely variable...it could just be fine steps. I'm on GUESSING at how this works based of usage and looking at the internals....However it works, it's quite stunning sound wise. The Koda had also gone to great lengths on volume control - but it was definitely stepped. Which never ever bothered me...

The footers do seem to be a engineering marvel. The have a shock absorber action to them..not a lot...The Nagra VFS also under my VPS phono stage makes a remarkable improvement. Nagra seems to know something about vibes and how it effects circuits...
    Last edited by jfrech; 01-13-2018 at 05:47 AM. Reason: added footer info
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2

Congrats John

The Have a pre amp must be out of this world to dislodge your Koda.

Is Nagra going to bring put a HD phono stage?
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3 & P10, Technics SL-1000MK3D, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Congrats John

The Have a pre amp must be out of this world to dislodge your Koda.

Is Nagra going to bring put a HD phono stage?
    Nagra is planning to bring out a HD phono stage...I don't think they have a timeframe set yet...

And yes...even just after a few days playing time, the Nagra HD pre is quite special. It just keeps pulling me into the music...
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2

Micro, just found this info posted at http://www.nagraaudio-hd.com/index.html

"TUBE NOS CIRCUIT

The HDPREAMP has the best specifications ever achieved by any tube preamplifier, 160 dB of signal to noise and 5 Hz to 200kHz frequency response with perfect phase integrity. The impedance input is 50k oHm and the output impedance is 0.2 oHm so you can drive any amplifier on the market."
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2

Addicted to Best!
    Great news on your HD preamp. Are you running xlr or rca to the HD amps? I remember my pl-l bypassing the transformers if using rca. I'm sure the new preamp will only improve with time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast