Untitled Document

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nagra HD Pre Amp arrived today

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Now you confused me! Are you driving the Nagra HD in single ended mode with Transparent Audio Opus XLR cables?

An extra detail - do you know the input impedance of the Nagar HD preamplfier in SE and XLR?
    Haha sorry. Magnum Opus XLR from DAC to Pre. Opus Gen 5 XLR from Pre to amp. (Magnum Opus RCA from phono to pre then same Opus Gen 5 XLR from Pre to Amp)

The Nagra HD Preamp has a variable output impedance depending where the transformer based volume control is set. Range is .2 ohms to 40 ohms. Transparent says my pre to amp XLR's are set to 50 ohms. And as long as the output impedance is below 50 ohms it's ok. They can set the cables precisely based on your volume range.

The input impedance of the HD Pre is 50k ohms.

Here are the specs if you scroll down on this page: http://www.nagraaudio-hd.com/hd-preamp.html

Name:  IMG_0633.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  1.50 MB
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Pre & Amp: Nagra HD Pre & Amp
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus on sources, Opus Gen 5 Pre to amps & speaker
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    (...) Magnum Opus XLR from DAC to Pre. (...)
    Thanks . It is what puzzles me - are you just discarding the inverting phase of the DAC, since the Pre does not have input balancing transformers?

The input impedance of the HD Pre is 50k ohms.
    In single ended mode? Will it be 100k ohms with the balancing transformer ?
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, SoundLab A1 Px, Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, Parasound JC2 + JC1 monos, TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Thanks . It is what puzzles me - are you just discarding the inverting phase of the DAC, since the Pre does not have input balancing transformers?
    For now yes. I have the input transformers on order (they apparently are sophisticated and take 1 person 1 day to wind/build). Trust me, I do not feel like I am missing anything. I do expect the input transformers will be a improvement and will report back when they arrive ...

In single ended mode? Will it be 100k ohms with the balancing transformer ?
    I don't know, I will check with my dealer...
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Pre & Amp: Nagra HD Pre & Amp
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus on sources, Opus Gen 5 Pre to amps & speaker
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    For now yes. I have the input transformers on order (they apparently are sophisticated and take 1 person 1 day to wind/build). Trust me, I do not feel like I am missing anything. I do expect the input transformers will be a improvement and will report back when they arrive ...
    IMHO you can expect a significant improvement. I have been playing with OPUS MM2 XLR (mine) and RCA (borrowed ... ) cables to connect the DS Vivaldi DAC to a cj GAT. In order to use my calibrated XLR cables I am also using a Lundhall expensive transformer, converting the balanced to SE.

Currently my preferences are 1. pure SE wit SE cable, fuller, more airy, 2. XLR with Lundall - very detailed, but lighter bass and 3. XLR to direct SE adapter, ignoring one phase. In my system it sees to me that the independent unbalancing stage of the Vivaldi sounds better than the Lundhall. But I am still listening.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, SoundLab A1 Px, Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, Parasound JC2 + JC1 monos, TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Addicted to Best!
    IMHO you can expect a significant improvement. I have been playing with OPUS MM2 XLR (mine) and RCA (borrowed ... ) cables to connect the DS Vivaldi DAC to a cj GAT. In order to use my calibrated XLR cables I am also using a Lundhall expensive transformer, converting the balanced to SE.

Currently my preferences are 1. pure SE wit SE cable, fuller, more airy, 2. XLR with Lundall - very detailed, but lighter bass and 3. XLR to direct SE adapter, ignoring one phase. In my system it sees to me that the independent unbalancing stage of the Vivaldi sounds better than the Lundhall. But I am still listening.
    interesting...i am CJ Opus MM2 SE -SE from Zanden DAC to GAT 2...and then Opus MM2 SE-SE (but XLR termination) from CJ GAT 2 to Gryphon Colosseum. I have not tried any other way. Given your extensive technical knowledge, do you suggest [someday] i might wish to try something else? The folks at Gryphon did not seem to think so when i asked them...i think they felt simpler is better if my pre is SE.
    Speaker: Wilson X1 + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: CJ GAT2 + Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: TA Opus Gen5&MM2 + PAD 25th Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches: Under: HRS.Stillpoints.Auralex Top: HRS.Artesania.Entreq.EAT.90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground&Shield: 7 x 16A Furutech . Burmester948 . NordostQX4 / Tripoint Troy Sig+Thor . Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex.Mullard
    Headphone: Sennheiser 650 . Arcam rHead . ApogeeGroove

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234