Burn-in Hell, but light is in sight at the end of a VERY long tunnel

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I really wouldn’t want any audiophile to go through what I have in the last 3-4 weeks.
I put my system away for 12 months as we renovate the chapel and carve out the audio room.
Install everything minus tt, and cd replay just sounds great on Day One and continues to entertain.
Tentative analog reinstall 9 months ago leading to me tripping my Soundsmith, and having to wait several months for repair.
I ask Soundsmith to go for top factory level spec.
As it returns, I delay reinstall while I commission some mods to my analog, incl new bespoke psus to tt motor and Straingauge energiser, top quality pwr cords and fuses to these psus, new tubes to preamp, and also brand new arm mount, balanced transformer to air arm pump, new nylon unipivot points to arm replacing metal, new RCA plugs to tonearm wire, Rollerblocks under main system balanced transformer.
Finally, FINALLY it all comes together one week before Christmas.
Or so I thought. What I got was pieces of the puzzle, but missing one, and this one critical to the whole picture.
So while bass is off the page scary good, mids really exemplary, imaging, depth and air better than anything I had back in London, my treble has gone MIA.
Ride cymbal patterns, percussion lines, generally snap and energy felt veiled and muted.
And to diagnose what might be letting the side down with SO many changes at once left me with a real headache
3 weeks in and I wasn’t really solving my issue until I realised two things
1- I hadn’t checked speed correctly (bad admission for a vinyl guy), getting a new SpeedStrobe on the job showed I was MUCH too fast. Sorted in 5s.
Now that treble is starting to blossom.
2- and with the help of my installer, we decided on getting some serious burn in done, so I’m spending long hours getting signal thru the stylus, energiser and psus (muted, so I can read in peace, testing the sound at the end of each day playing an lp at volume), and furiously playing around with spkrs toe in, seating distance, subs settings, acoustic panels in and out of the room.

I have to tell you all, for those first 3 weeks, I was in a bad bad place, two decades upgrading audio, spending a small fortune on gear, collecting 2000 lps. And for what? For THIS sound.
But Ron Resnick, Barry Blue58, Audiophile Bill, and Barry2013 all told me to chill out, work on the details, and things would start to come together.
And today, the first fruits of that coming together became apparent, the bass and mids better than ever, and return to the fold of those treble frequencies.
I’m not done by a long shot, but another 100 hours burn in, and more finagling, and I think I’ll be even happier.
I’ve also really realised my new room is truly different to the last, and this is definitely influencing a smoother, sweeter top end, and I need to readjust.

Moral of this story? Don’t be an idiot like me and load a dozen plus upgrades into yr analog in one go without realising you’ll lose your tiny mind in the process!
PS thanks to the aforementioned guys for helping me keep my sanity.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I'm lucky. I lost my tiny mind years ago and have never even gone looking for it.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am very happy for you that your treble is matching the high sound quality level of the rest of your frequency range!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Kevin, Ked called out my old room for being poor while I was bigging myself up over there.
I’ve gone on record to acknowledge that.
He hasn’t had much to say since, but has enabled me to get my previously useful Mooks to a grateful new owner.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
CJ, yes my mind has gone walkies, never more so than during this analog dialling-in period.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, I’m not quite there yet w the treble, but getting to 25 hrs burn in yesterday, and I had my first day where I can be sure I’m making progress.
I’m learning that my analog is interacting v differently with my more damped, slightly darker, acoustic. And this is most noticeable thru the treble.
And I’m learning the hard way that burn in cannot be rushed, especially with over a dozen new pieces of gear all installed at the same time.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I’m learning that my analog is interacting v differently with my more damped, slightly darker, acoustic. And this is most noticeable thru the treble.

Analog front shouldnt interact with your room any different from digital.

Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, I’m sure you’re right. I’m probably finding a spurious excuse, and my lack of treble extension is 100% down to my new stylus, energiser, and big beefy transformer psus, needing plenty of burn in. Certainly crossing the 25 hour mark yesterday was really fascinating, and the first time I started to feel properly happy with my sound.
I’m hoping 75, 100 hrs max, is the point where things close to fully yield.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) And I’m learning the hard way that burn in cannot be rushed, especially with over a dozen new pieces of gear all installed at the same time.

You should get the Purist Audio Design LUMINIST SYSTEM ENHANCER - System burn-in CD. It really speeds things and helps us listening to equipment in fair conditions. Many people compare equipment taken from the box with their old, well burn-in equipment. And in a short time decide that although the new equipment seems sounds more exact and detailed, it also causes fatigue.

Remember that even phono inputs can be burned-in properly using reverse RIAA atenuators. In order to burn-in cartridge suspension without stylus wear I used an old AudioTechnica vibrating pad cleaner driven by the Purist Audio CD signals - some one could make a fortune selling such device in an embedded system! BTW, I did it for fun - never could compare a burn-in and non burn-in cartridge.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Francisco, that CD Enhancer solution won’t work for my purposes here, I need to run a signal through the stylus and energiser, and by association be putting use into the new psus for tt motor and energiser. That means doing things the long haul way playing lp after lp. I’d rather read up here, have the volume muted, and rack up 75 hours, testing evolution of sound every few days playing favourite lps at volume.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Sorry to read about your version of Hell, Marc. I've installed new cartridges in my system and they never had the tonal balance issues you describe with great bass/mids but missing highs. If anything, it was the bass that really developed over time. In fact, there were quite listenable, if not optimal, right from the start. They did improve with time, usually up to the 50-60 hour mark, though my current MSL Sig Gold continued to improve past 75 up to 100 hours. Are you confident that your cartridge and arm are properly set up?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Pretty much, Peter. I had the UK Straingauge dealer over for the day. We very carefully adjusted using protractor for alignment, VTF and VTA. Azimuth is a devil to get right on my setup because unlike pretty much every other tt/arm combination, the lp does not sit on the platter (let alone held down by clamp, weight, periphery ring or vacuum pull-down), it sits on Delrin cones a centimetre above the platter, and the 5” armwand rides laterally on a bed of air, indeed watching the cart track the lp groove is (as in sailing jargon), occasionally like watching a lifeboat being tossed about in a storm!
My installer proudly declares he hates my arm and tt.
No, my issues centre on a few possible areas
1- yielding of stylus, maybe not so because as PeterA (and also Audiophile Bill have both remarked, it’s usually treble ok at the start and the bass that needs to open up - I have precisely the opposite scenario).
2- burning in of brand-new top factory level upgraded Straingauge energiser, big overspecced psus with hefty transformers and chokes, and a ton of wiring, and associated new ancillaries like power cords and fuses, and preamp tubes. Could well be, 30 hours now, and the treble is starting to bloom.
3- three specific setup changes that could be counterproductive. Stacore Advanced which has vertical isolation possibly compromised by vertical isolation of tt mag lev feet, and the change from metal to nylon unipivot points to eliminate “microchatter” via metal on metal.
I’ve tried the tt back on my Symposium rack eliminating the Stacore, and I lose all my performance benefits going this way, with no treble uplift, so assuming Stacore only helping here. I may try going back to the metal unipivot points, but only once burn in complete.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco, that CD Enhancer solution won’t work for my purposes here, I need to run a signal through the stylus and energiser, and by association be putting use into the new psus for tt motor and energiser. That means doing things the long haul way playing lp after lp. I’d rather read up here, have the volume muted, and rack up 75 hours, testing evolution of sound every few days playing favourite lps at volume.

Than you should get an old copy of Sgt. Pepper's or the Cardas test and burn-in LP http://www.cardas.com/music_frequency_sweep_lp.php.

Unless you really want to burn-in your ears - some people claim that it is what burn-in achieves! It is why I usually avoid listening during the intermediate phases and just compare to references after whole the burn-in phase.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Marc, I'm surprised that there is so much movement of the cartridge while playing an LP. The few linear tracking arms that I have seen make the cartridge look like its simply slowly gliding right to left with almost no movement. Imagine what is happening within the magnet/coils inside the cartridge if the cartridge body is moving all over the place. Is it also rotating around its Zenith axis while negotiating a groove?

I also wonder about the nylon unipivot points. Where are those located, precisely? I don't understand the tech of the linear tracking arm unless the short arm wand is supported like a conventional unipivot but on an armboard that floats on air.

Photos would be very helpful.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Azimuth is a devil to get right on my setup because unlike pretty much every other tt/arm combination, the lp does not sit on the platter (let alone held down by clamp, weight, periphery ring or vacuum pull-down), it sits on Delrin cones a centimetre above the platter, and the 5” armwand rides laterally on a bed of air, indeed watching the cart track the lp groove is (as in sailing jargon), occasionally like watching a lifeboat being tossed about in a storm!
My installer proudly declares he hates my arm and tt. (...)

IMHO azimuth should be adjusted with a test LP for equal (minimum) crosstalk between left and right channels using a measuring instrument. An installer that hates a linear tracker perhaps just means he does not understand it - it is too simple for his tortuous mind, that loves exquisite theories to minimize tracking error.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, I should realise by now that slight hyperbole to make a point is counterproductive. All I wanted to convey with the gale/lifeboat analogy was in relation to my tt more than my arm, and that is with the lp sitting on cones and not the platter, and not being secured in any way, any mild dishing of lps is noticeable.
Yes, this probably adds to some extra pressure on the function of the cart. Yet so much is right about this combination, I’m v reluctant to move on, and any analog upgrade would need to be at eg SME level to exceed what I have now.
I’m going to invest in an lp flattened for my most warped lps, but I don’t believe any of this is the cause of my dialling in issues.
Peter, the arm wand has two unipivot points balancing the armwand in the sled that tracks on air along the arm gantry.
(Sorry for the lack of photos, I’m struggling to post them from my IPhone), you can access pics at

www.trans-fi.com

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I wish I could give you a tank of oxygen to do distance with your fussy tt, arm and cart.

Hang in there left fielder.
Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Davey, that’s not going to happen anytime soon . The direct rim drive/air arm combination really does talk to me, over the few years I’ve been running it.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing