Reel to Reel Head Wire out and associated topics

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
. . . To overcome this RF mess,Studer installed a head amp in the headblock,providing a bit of amplification before sending the signal to the actual amplifying stage in the card cage. . .

Who told you that story? This actually was not (is not) the primary reason for placing the repro first stage (appx 27 dB gain) flat amp in the headblock.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Ok. Straight from the head and away from the hell hole.

If MikeL is reading this, can you show me how ugly it is to run the wire over the front panel. Or is it not so ugly.

Kind regards,
Tang

hello Tang,

here is a picture of my 2 Studers with the direct head outputs; both installed by Ki Choi. the left side has the modified top cap with the head switch mounted on the back side of the top cap. the right side is 'nude' and that switch is not yet mounted on the top cap. yes; Ki thinks it is preferable to run the cables on top as far as signal purity. but my recollection from our talks about this is that Ki has not actually listened for the comparison, it's just his sense (which I agree with). as far as aesthetics, i'm good with it and have never felt it detracted from the Studer look.

the wires on the left side are not properly located as of this picture since we had been inside those top panels and the little sticker wire holders are not currently installed. I have just not got around to buy a couple more at the hardware store.

I have no plans to ever change this approach.

room-11-8.jpg

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
Thanks for the pictures.

OMG! The workmanship looks just awful.

Was this board re-work done by an owner? (It's clearly not done by a professional.)

Here in the States, we now have people selling so-called "re-capped Studer boards" on eBay. They are also of poor workmanship. It's so very sad to see all these once fine Studers now being ruined.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The Studer A820 and A 810 has so much digital control circuitry that both these machines generate an enormous amount of electronic noise

I have zero noise from my A810 and zero problems feeding the signal from the head to my Doshi. Zero. In face I bought the Doshi after trying a few others in my system and they were horribly noisy

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
here are a couple more pictures; need to buy those wire guides.....maybe today. been a very busy time for me recently and i'm behind on many things.

wires-1.jpg

wires-2.jpg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks You Mike. Is that King Cello and ps b/w the Studers?

Tang

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks You Mike. Is that King Cello and ps b/w the Studers?

Tang

yes; the unpretentious King Cello + power supply. seems to integrate perfectly with my darTZeel electronics; the KC even has the 50ohm 'zeel' interface so even though I have an 11 meter single ended 'zeel' cable between the KC and my dart pre on the other side of the room I get great sound.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
OMG! The workmanship looks just awful.

Was this board re-work done by an owner? (It's clearly not done by a professional.)

Here in the States, we now have people selling so-called "re-capped Studer boards" on eBay. They are also of poor workmanship. It's so very sad to see all these once fine Studers now being ruined.

if its the underside you´re talking about...the boards were like that when I bought the machine
the opamp and cap replacements were done by me and the machine sounds and measures perfect. Edited to remove unnecessary insult. Forum members are entitled to post their opinions on topics as long as they don’t violate the WBF Terms of Service.

Leif

Last edited by a moderator:

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
if its the underside you´re talking about...the boards were like that when I bought the machine
the opamp and cap replacements were done by me and the machine sounds and measures perfect.
do you always have to point out what idiots the rest of the world is compared to you
been with Donald on behaviour training have you?
best
Leif
Is Studer the best in the world ? yes maybe in their golden age but by no mean it can't be improved today ! once people put their hand into the machine of modification will losing resell value but you can ask Ed will he sell his two Studer A80 in what ever of money will offer, the changed after modify can be noticed by owner only hard to let others know about except very close friends always listen together but in our case you can compare our old recording to our recent one will find the difference, in the beginning we used the stock for start first and had been modified more than 10 times
tony ma

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
yes I remember you started experimenting with the different caps in the outboard amps
typical mix and match til you like the result
I don´t care about resell value of my two A80RC; they stay with me....:cool:
I´m doing the same now with my horn system where I changed from TAD 2001 and 4001 to 2002 and 4003
testing Duelund pure silver foil caps in the tweeter crossover and Jantzen wax coil inductors for the midrange for more true harmonics
problem is Duelund Cast silver foil capacitor cost: paid about usd 1.600 for a pair of 2,2µF secondhand from France!
I´m sorry to say they´re worth it for purity and harmonics
best
Leif

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
My experience when premium parts are used.... the sound change is always worth the cost....IMHO
The NOS vintage 1956 WE300b in the mic pre cost almost $7K US, but I could hear their worth after just a few notes of recording with them in the chain.... In fact, a big part of what Steve & Mike are talking about, in these recent tapes is from these tubes...
Ed

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I believe you and agree
but the art of tuning a whole system is mix&match
whenever I implement a new part/mod, I let it stay for some weeks...If I end up not liking it, I do a 180 and revert to previous version
In my 300B amps I prefer Living Voice 300B to both "modern" WE and Takatsuki: better on the flanks and also bests WEs glorious midrange
developed by Kevin at Living Voice in conjunction with Kron

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Totally agree.
Final sound is always a sum of the parts, & one has to like the final character...
I was talking more about addition of something like silver foil vs copper foil caps... silver transformers vs copper transformers...

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
have you tried Duelund Cast capacitors or resistors?
btw another excellent piano recording I play right now on my A80RC is Keith Jarret: Køln concert
fantastic sound

Last edited:

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
I have not really changed anything for awhile except the vintage tubes...
I’ve really been concertrating on the instruments I’m recording & the artists...
The performance is everything - that’s why I’m in Paris tweaking Tatsuki’s instrument & bows...
Ed

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
dear Tang, I did buy some of those wire guides. here are a couple of pictures with those wire guides added. it cleans up the look and keeps the wires out of the way. I could use small white zip ties and trim the excess, but I like the ability to move them easily so prefer twist ties.

wires-3.jpg

wires-4.jpg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Forum members here are great. I really appreciate all information and experiences generously given to me here. I would not have known there is an amp next to the head in the a820. Qualified technicians seem very hard to find. Much more difficult in BKK. At the end, I will have Nick fly here to do his magic. It is just nice to know what seems to be the cause of my problem and possible solutions.

Thank you all for the info and Mike for the pics.
Tang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing