Reel to Reel Head Wire out and associated topics

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Copies from master tape can't be quality 100% same as the master especially transparency must down for some %, people who using out broad play back amp instead stock amp in their deck will understand what happen . for vinyl cutting sound quality is depend the in put quality too, most of today's vinyl cutting service is for from digital source to vinyl and I don't know they will have a good quality tape deck for in put or not, anyway play back by the same machine of recording is always better so first we will find out if we can bring our machine over for cutting source in put
tony ma

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Copies from master tape can't be quality 100% same as the master especially transparency must down for some %, people who using out broad play back amp instead stock amp in their deck will understand what happen . for vinyl cutting sound quality is depend the in put quality too, most of today's vinyl cutting service is for from digital source to vinyl and I don't know they will have a good quality tape deck for in put or not, anyway play back by the same machine of recording is always better so first we will find out if we can bring our machine over for cutting source in put
tony ma

As far as I read in order to cut vinyl under optimal conditions and get a reasonable play time you must use a machine with a read ahead feature to command the groove width. Most current vinyl cutters do not need it because they have a digital delay line in the signal path of the cutter ...

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
As far as I read in order to cut vinyl under optimal conditions and get a reasonable play time you must use a machine with a read ahead feature to command the groove width. Most current vinyl cutters do not need it because they have a digital delay line in the signal path of the cutter ...

I have no knowledge of cutting vinyl but I do know that direct cut vinyl is the best than others as you said a digital time delay circuit in between signal and cutter then a digital sound will be added to the vinyl sound, in my knowledge even a analogue power supply for a analogue amp, different construction by pass cap in used can change the sound quality too because of the cap's react time course it happen also a battery power supply can sound better than a voltage regulated circuit power supply in the same reason by react timing , so we need to go over and learn how they do the cutting before take action, anyway thank you very much for the information
tony ma

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang,

The level on your tape is the same level the master was recorded at, 396 nW/m. It's a 1:1 duplication.
396 is +4 db over 250 nW/m.... these tapes can take +9 so I allow some piano peaks to go +3 to +4 over the 396 level.
This allows the really low level signals to be recorded higher up the scale at the toe of the curve, so you will hear (resolve) much more low level details - where the real music lives - IMHO. I think this brings you closer to the live sound of these instruments... especially the decay of the piano & violin sounds...

There is no distortion on the peaks, but this higher level may overload some pre-amps or line stages...

That is why I will make 250 or 320 level tapes for people, if they need a lower level... at the 396 level, what you get, dynamically, is as close to the real event as possible...

Ed

PS. Decca Records recorded at these same levels for their fantastic SXL LPs from the 60's... (DECCA: Supreme Stereophonic Legacy, Larry Toy, pp.40-41)

I have some problems matching gain of Dishi Tape pre to my A820 and preamp so I could only play with some tapes now, but not with yours. Your tapes are no problem. It's my machines problem. I can play with your tape only when I dont use Doshi. But with the Doshi in the chain, it sounds spectacular, I dont want to hear without. I am arranging to have Nick Doshi to come to BKK to optimize my tape section once and for all. I want my tape section to leap far ahead of my vinyl and enjoy your tapes.

Tang

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
I have some problems matching gain of Dishi Tape pre to my A820 and preamp so I could only play with some tapes now, but not with yours. Your tapes are no problem. It's my machines problem. I can play with your tape only when I dont use Doshi. But with the Doshi in the chain, it sounds spectacular, I dont want to hear without. I am arranging to have Nick Doshi to come to BKK to optimize my tape section once and for all. I want my tape section to leap far ahead of my vinyl and enjoy your tapes.

Tang

I'm trying to understand the problem... what happens when you use the Doshi with my tapes? Does it distort on peaks? Because you also say "it sounds spectacular with the Doshi in.."
If so, it sounds like sensitivity of your pre amp is not matched.... try another line stage & see if the same problem exists..

Ed

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I'm trying to understand the problem... what happens when you use the Doshi with my tapes? Does it distort on peaks? Because you also say "it sounds spectacular with the Doshi in.."
If so, it sounds like sensitivity of your pre amp is not matched.... try another line stage & see if the same problem exists..

Ed

I said it sounds spectacular when play some other tapes that are not yours. When I play these tapes my volume knob doesn’t pass a few ticks. The gain is too high. But when play with your tapes, The gain is even higher to the point I might damage my speakers. These incidents happens when the Doshi is in the chain. Once again nothing is wrong with your tape.

I could play all your tapes when they go straight from Studer to my preamp.

Tang

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Tang

Here is Nick coming from Virginia to set up my Tape Pre followed by the next few posts

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Steve-Williams&p=202159&viewfull=1#post202159

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I said it sounds spectacular when play some other tapes that are not yours. When I play these tapes my volume knob doesn’t pass a few ticks. The gain is too high. But when play with your tapes, The gain is even higher to the point I might damage my speakers. These incidents happens when the Doshi is in the chain. Once again nothing is wrong with your tape.

I could play all your tapes when they go straight from Studer to my preamp.

Tang

Can you tell me how you connect the Doshi to your A820? if direct from the head and how you play Ed's tape by the stock A820 itself ? as I know that Doshi is a Hybrid design most of it is tubes but it needs more gain for those low out put tape in low level recorded (250nw) so he put one more in put stage of IC circuit for more gain. when you play Ed's tape a high out put tape in a high level recorded (396nw) then it must be over loaded if Dodhi has a level control will soft the problem or a switch to by pass the first in put IC stage will do the job too and I am very sure a tube repro amp will sound much more better than the A820's stock amp, in my experience different kind of tubes in sue will give you a very big surprise in sound quality change, 12AT7 is using in Doshi if he can convert to 6900 (5687) or WE 437A even combine with WE300 for out put stage using will be one of the kind in repeo amp of the world ( similar to Ed's system)
tony ma

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Can you tell me how you connect the Doshi to your A820? if direct from the head and how you play Ed's tape by the stock A820 itself ? as I know that Doshi is a Hybrid design most of it is tubes but it needs more gain for those low out put tape in low level recorded (250nw) so he put one more in put stage of IC circuit for more gain. when you play Ed's tape a high out put tape in a high level recorded (396nw) then it must be over loaded if Dodhi has a level control will soft the problem or a switch to by pass the first in put IC stage will do the job too and I am very sure a tube repro amp will sound much more better than the A820's stock amp, in my experience different kind of tubes in sue will give you a very big surprise in sound quality change, 12AT7 is using in Doshi if he can convert to 6900 (5687) or WE 437A even combine with WE300 for out put stage using will be one of the kind in repeo amp of the world ( similar to Ed's system)
tony ma

Dear Sir,

First I really want to thanks for your helpful gesture.

When I bought my Studer, I requested that it is modified to have a headout. I really have no idea how the headout was done internally. I connect the Doshi to this xlr headout. And from Doshi to my preamp using rca.

20180104_115206_resized.jpg
20180104_115132_resized.jpg

When I play Ed's tape I just connect my preamp directly to the Studer Audio CH1 and CH2 xlr outputs.

20171002_125209_resized.jpg

Yes, there is levels control in Doshi. I used them to adjust for playing other tapes otherwise I couldnt play at all. Just a tiny adjustment gave so much difference in loudness. These level controls even when set at lowest cant play Ed's tape.

Nick probably can come next month.

Kind regards,
Tang

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Yes your connection is correct , Ed's tape has a 1k Hz signal test tone recorded in the beginning of each tape what you can do is to have a level tester or a VU meter connect to the Doshi out put and play the test tone to see if you can adjust to the out put in 0db, if you can make this happen you will find out Ed's recording in a very different level of sound quality than before by using the A820 stock amp
enjoy the quality change that you will hear
tony ma

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Yes your connection is correct , Ed's tape has a 1k Hz signal test tone recorded in the beginning of each tape what you can do is to have a level tester or a VU meter connect to the Doshi out put and play the test tone to see if you can adjust to the out put in 0db, if you can make this happen you will find out Ed's recording in a very different level of sound quality than before by using the A820 stock amp
enjoy the quality change that you will hear
tony ma

Thank you Tony.

Tang

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
One more thing, you said a tiny adjustment will have a big change in loudness that means even a low out put tape still has a too much gain in the amp's out put so that is why even the lowest the gain still over load for Ed's tape. I guest that is the head has higher out put for Doshi's gian design so when Nick come to your place you can ask him to by pass the first gain stage to see OK or not also add a switch level selector for 250nw and 396nw in playing will more easy for you
tony ma

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
if he´s feeding the Doshi like the pictures show he´s feeding the reproboards output further on to the Doshi input
the cables to the Doshi should be connected to head direct out...
no wonder the lvl is too high and sensitive for adjustments on the Doshi...
best
Leif

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
if he´s feeding the Doshi like the pictures show he´s feeding the reproboards output further on to the Doshi input
best
Leif

Problem solved

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
best
Leif

I don't think he is doing that. When he feeds the 820 output to the Doshi I think he is using the Head Out XLRs.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
My guess is that the Doshi is calibrated to 250nw. If it was calibrated to 396nw then Ed's tapes would play properly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing