Nagra 300i, what are your thoughts?

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
New member here, needing some opinions.

I am looking for a tube integrated. Something that will keep me happy for a few years.
Nagra 300i seems to be the best candidate so far (budget <10k$ used).

Any thoughts on if this amp is competitive sound-wise in 2018, hard to find too many people who own or know of these integrated amps (I have read all the reviews and scoured most online forums).

Would love to hear from people who own or have heard these amps.
My speakers are Devore Orangutans O96.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Primaluna Dialogue integrated, a giant killer if there ever was one. Can be used with EL 34, KT 88, KT 120 or KT 150 tubes. Autobias, totally silent. Either UL or Triode, selectable from the remote. Your search can stop here :).

Good luck.

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
Primaluna Dialogue integrated, a giant killer if there ever was one. Can be used with EL 34, KT 88, KT 120 or KT 150 tubes. Autobias, totally silent. Either UL or Triode, selectable from the remote. Your search can stop here :).

Good luck.

Thanks for the recommendation. Have you compared this to the Nagra 300i?

I am mostly looking for opinions on the 300i, I would love alternate recommendations if someone has heard the 300i and found their particular recommendation better.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have heard the Nagra 300p in my system. It's a SWEET amp. Not a lot are out there given the price and power output. The sound is simply magical.

I needed more power and went with the Nagra Classic amp...and now the Nagra HD amps.

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
I have heard the Nagra 300p in my system. It's a SWEET amp. Not a lot are out there given the price and power output. The sound is simply magical.

I needed more power and went with the Nagra Classic amp...and now the Nagra HD amps.

Thanks jfrech, I was hoping to hear from you, given my researching in WBF, I saw that you were one of the few people in this site, who had heard this amp.

Any chance you would be able to tell me how the 300i compared to your current amps or even the Nagra Classic. Of course through memory or emotional impact, am sure it was years ago, that you heard this amp, and in a different system.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
The midrange is to die for. Just beautiful colors, textures, resolution. The bass is surprisingly taught and deep. It’s typical Nagra-emotionally connects you close to the music.

It’s one of their best amps. Rivals my hd Amps in the mids. Just have to respect it’s power envelope.

As for the pre amp section, I can’t comment since I used the non integrated model. I suspect the preamp is similar to the Nagra Melody...which all Nagra preamp are very good ... hope that helps

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
The midrange is to die for. Just beautiful colors, textures, resolution. The bass is surprisingly taught and deep. It’s typical Nagra-emotionally connects you close to the music.

It’s one of their best amps. Rivals my hd Amps in the mids. Just have to respect it’s power envelope.

As for the pre amp section, I can’t comment since I used the non integrated model. I suspect the preamp is similar to the Nagra Melody...which all Nagra preamp are very good ... hope that helps

Thank you! This was very very helpful. I have decided to take the plunge into the land of Nagra. Will report back on how it goes.

goldeneraguy

Dec 11, 2012
Well I can't reply on the Nagra I but I can tell you about the Classic.
I've had tubed amps for the last 30 years and thought they just weren't working with my newly acquired Wilson Benesch speakers.
I tried the Nagra amp with these speakers and Magic is the word that comes to mind.
I'm sure all Nagra components and I believe I heard most of them are of the highest fidelity

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Well I can't reply on the Nagra I but I can tell you about the Classic.
I've had tubed amps for the last 30 years and thought they just weren't working with my newly acquired Wilson Benesch speakers.
I tried the Nagra amp with these speakers and Magic is the word that comes to mind.
I'm sure all Nagra components and I believe I heard most of them are of the highest fidelity
That does not surprise me on the Nagra Classic. I owned one before I heard the Nagra HD amps. The Nagra Classic amp is a fantastic amp. If you don't already have a Nagra preamp...careful on demo'ing one ;-)

Reactions: Ovenmitt

goldeneraguy

Dec 11, 2012
Hi Jfrech, Thank you for your post.
Actually it was your enthusiastic Nagra posts that prompted me to audition the Classic.
It is everything you said it would be.
I've since heard the HD and can say WOW I'm sure your system sounds fantastic.
Quite an achievement

Reactions: jfrech

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
I suspect Nagra is the European brand with the greatest true longevity - given that one can no longer count Quad due to their new and regrettable ownership. Great kit and a great bet that it's unlikely you will be disappointed with it in five or ten years' time.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
That does not surprise me on the Nagra Classic. I owned one before I heard the Nagra HD amps. The Nagra Classic amp is a fantastic amp. If you don't already have a Nagra preamp...careful on demo'ing one ;-)

I demo'd one at Jfrech's place, it cost me big time. I've been smiling ever since. John, have you upgraded the HD pre yet? I'm told there is also an upgrade for the HD amps. Let me know if you've heard anything. Merry Christmas

Dave

Reactions: Ovenmitt

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
add one more to the Nagra cool aid camp.... best gear that I’ve heard!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I demo'd one at Jfrech's place, it cost me big time. I've been smiling ever since. John, have you upgraded the HD pre yet? I'm told there is also an upgrade for the HD amps. Let me know if you've heard anything. Merry Christmas

Dave
I did get the new board in the HD Pre. It's a nice upgrade. I heard the same on the HD amps, hoping our dealer stops by later this week. I hear it's a software upgrade...Merry Christmas !

Reactions: SuperDave

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
Hi, curious as to how your experience went with the Nagra integrated?

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this.

Before I could pull the trigger the used Nagra 300i I was eyeing got sold.

However recently I had a home demo for a new 300i. It was amazing.
The 300i beats the Nagra Classic in every single parameter.

And when the HD DAC was hooked to the 300i it took my breath away.

Right now figuring out how to pay for it all :)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this.

Before I could pull the trigger the used Nagra 300i I was eyeing got sold.

However recently I had a home demo for a new 300i. It was amazing.
The 300i beats the Nagra Classic in every single parameter.

And when the HD DAC was hooked to the 300i it took my breath away.

Right now figuring out how to pay for it all :)
I bet the HD DAC with a 300i is special !

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
I just bought a 300p amplifier!
Can't wait to hook it up.

Now searching for a preamp that would go with it.

The obvious candidates are the Nagra Jazz and Classic, but any other recommendations. I would love to buy a preamp with phono built-in.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I just bought a 300p amplifier!
Can't wait to hook it up.

Now searching for a preamp that would go with it.

The obvious candidates are the Nagra Jazz and Classic, but any other recommendations. I would love to buy a preamp with phono built-in.

Honestly, I'd stick with Nagra, you'll be happier and I know your amp is fantastic. A used Nagra PLL and VPS is a sweet combo with your amp and a Classic PSU. Good luck and happy new year !

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I did get the new board in the HD Pre. It's a nice upgrade. I heard the same on the HD amps, hoping our dealer stops by later this week. I hear it's a software upgrade...Merry Christmas !

My dealer, Ne Plus Ultra in Austin, just upgraded my Nagra HD amps to the latest rev, think it's called HD amp 2020. It's a software upgrade, changing the protection circuit. Have to take off the side panel, insert a micro SD card, and ~20 seconds later it's upgraded.

Warmer and richer tonal palette...across the board from the highs to mids to lows. At the same time it's more transparent and resolute. Everything takes a step forward...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing