Review: Wilson Alexia Series 2

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Heard them in Seattle over X-mas at Definitive Audio. Not set up properly (too close to back wall) but sounded good.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As usual, a very well written, enjoyable read from you Tim.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
An enjoyable and informative review, I appreciated it a lot more when I found that clicking the author name in the top showed the whole system ...

The Dorati "Firebird" was an excellent choice - it is not an easy piece. Now I have to get the first Musica Nuda album [Fonè 106]. I have to listen to "Guarda Che Luna" in my system!

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Heard them in Seattle over X-mas at Definitive Audio. Not set up properly (too close to back wall) but sounded good.

I remember hearing the original Alexias at Quintessence Audio, outside Chicago. The speakers were in a spot and I was given a chair on rollers. Heh. Unless the speakers are not dialed in to a fixed listening position, and then the mid and tweeter adjusted to your height, you'll not hear them at their best.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
As usual, a very well written, enjoyable read from you Tim.

Thank you Jack - much appreciated.

An enjoyable and informative review, I appreciated it a lot more when I found that clicking the author name in the top showed the whole system ...

The Dorati "Firebird" was an excellent choice - it is not an easy piece. Now I have to get the first Musica Nuda album [Fonè 106]. I have to listen to "Guarda Che Luna" in my system!

Its a fun album - a talented bass player and a soprano with sometimes amazing extension doing jazzy covers of popular songs sung in English and Italian. The music is sparse and the combination of different tonalities is one you don't run across everyday. Great for evaluation purposes but, for me, not what I'd choose to hear too often. I am impressed with the quality from Fonè - flat, very quiet records. Thanks for the compliment.

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
I remember hearing the original Alexias at Quintessence Audio, outside Chicago. The speakers were in a spot and I was given a chair on rollers. Heh. Unless the speakers are not dialed in to a fixed listening position, and then the mid and tweeter adjusted to your height, you'll not hear them at their best.

Hmm, Quintessence is one of my local dealers and they just received the Wilson line earlier this year. Giving someone a roller chair and listening to speakers not setup properly for audition has not been my experience at that store. Sure it wasn’t the previous area dealer for Wilson’s?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Hmm, Quintessence is one of my local dealers and they just received the Wilson line earlier this year. Giving someone a roller chair and listening to speakers not setup properly for audition has not been my experience at that store. Sure it wasn’t the previous area dealer for Wilson’s?

Dave Weintraub and team sure had the Alexia 2s dialed in at Axpona. Sounded magical with the Audio Research Ref160M monos.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

It was the Wilson dealer in Evanston around 2013/2014 - whatever their name was then. This was the original Alexia of course. They did let me have the room and left me alone, which i appreciated.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'm really getting great sound as these have continued to settle in a bit more. A truly remarkable speaker.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Great review

How did you find the Lamm m1.2 went with the alexia ii, could they drive the alexia I which were harder bass cos of impedance dips ?

Great review also

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Great review

How did you find the Lamm m1.2 went with the alexia ii, could they drive the alexia I which were harder bass cos of impedance dips ?

Great review also

Yes, thanks, good question.

It was largely because of using Wilson speakers, first the original Sasha then the Alexia (v1), that I acquired the Lamm M1.2 Ref. The Alexia impedance cited as 4-ohm nominal was typically ~3.5-ohm with an 1.8-ohm minimum @80 Hz. I suspect most of us agree that can be a difficult load. Sensitivity was at 90 dB which helped.

The Alexia Series 2 specs cite nominal impedance also at 4-ohms however the minimum is raised to 2.54 @ 85Hz. Sensitivity is at 89 db. I think the Series 2 is a bit easier to drive though I imagine the amps one would look at for the v1 are pretty much the same as you'd look for with the Series 2. My subjective sense tells me the new model is easier to drive, for what that's worth - at least they sound that way with their improved coherence and veracity in all things related to proper timing.

The M1.2 Ref has two impedance settings, high and low. On the lower setting, which I use, the amp delivers 110 class-A watts into either 8 or 4 ohms, 220 watts into 2 ohms and 400 watts into 1 ohm. And after talking with Vladimi, I take those as conservative specs.

For my room (roughly 20'Lx17'Wx8'H) the M1.2s are wholly capable of driving the Alexia Series 2 with full-on orchestral power really going at it. Trombones, baritones, horns, double basses, timpani, solo piano - its all good, with excellent dynamics and articulation. I can say that about the v1 Alexia as well, but the Series 2 sounds so much better. The audiophile vocabulary is pretty limited and we hear so much of the same hyperbolic adjectival upheaval from reviewers nowadays that degrees of real improvement can be difficult to communicate effectively. Nonetheless I was very surprised - to the point of grinning stupidly while shaking my head in disbelief - at the sonic aptitiude of the Alexia Series 2 + Lamm M1.2 Ref combo and the satisfacton they bring.

I continue to be quite happy with the Lamm sound. You can read my review of the M1.2 Ref here.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I never liked any of the series 1... Alexia, Sasha, Sophia... The Sasha 2 was way better to all especially due to coherence

Interesting the mention of Emma Kirby in the review... Saw her live twice, once baroque era arias and once renaissance ... One of my favorite live voices

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thanks Tim

I also have the Lamm m1.2 which I am very happy with
Did you try the higher impedance setting?

I like it because the bass is more supple in my system especially classical

I am thinking of getting the Alexia 1 as cannot afford the 2 :(

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I never liked any of the series 1... Alexia, Sasha, Sophia... The Sasha 2 was way better to all especially due to coherence

Interesting the mention of Emma Kirby in the review... Saw her live twice, once baroque era arias and once renaissance ... One of my favorite live voices

Ah yes, Emma. You are fortunate having heard her sing - and she records well too! If you haven't heard Hogwood's Messiah, it's the one to have.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes Emma great singer and my daughter’s name :)

Interesting the line about Stravinsky

I always think his ballets are lief motifs of rhythm not tunes ...

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thanks Tim

I also have the Lamm m1.2 which I am very happy with
Did you try the higher impedance setting?

I like it because the bass is more supple in my system especially classical

I am thinking of getting the Alexia 1 as cannot afford the 2 :(

I remember trying the high impedance setting with the Sashas and v1 and vaguely recall I didn't care for what it did with the highs. Now that you mention it I haven't tried that with the Series 2 and should give a listen.

One suggeston, if I may be so bold, regarding the M1.2s: they really reward being on a decent platform.

Try to find Martin Collums review of the original Alexia. It's excellent coverage with in-depth technical analysis. I think it can be found on-line. If not send me a pm. I bet you enjoy the v1 with the Lamms.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thanks Tim

I have that review

Interesting about platforms

DDK says no to stands, for the Lamm what do u use?

My treble is superb so very happy with that....

I am really glad I saw your review big help to me in my decision making...on my Alexia’s

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes Emma great singer and my daughter’s name :)

Interesting the line about Stravinsky

I always think his ballets are lief motifs of rhythm not tunes ...

I don't like Stravinsky's big pieces. They sound like Dolby effects for mission impossible type movies. His small ones are better. Of the two later Russian composers I prefer Shostakovich much more, big or small.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing