Panasonic | OLED | 2018 | HDR10+

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Dolby Vision is part of HDR Steve. Dolby Vision requires more processing power because it is constantly controlled on a frame-to-frame basis. The two Panasonic OLED TVs above are without Dolby Vision feature.

And Panasonic just recently announced their new top 2018 4K Blu-ray player with both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision on board, the DP-UB820. So it is strange that their two top OLED TVs are not supporting Dolby Vision. I'm sure there is a valid reason behind...to be found in the near future ...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...-dolby-vision-and-hdr10-support/#204f7fdd6808

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Steve is right. The Panny OLED does NOT support Dolby Vision and as I understand it, such support can't be added via a firmware update. It also lacks any HDMI 2.1 inputs./ I is also not for sale in the US, unless, of course, you know a guy...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I know that Steve is right, I know that Panasonic OLED TVs don't support Dolby Vision, I know that they are avail only overseas and not in America.
The video mentioned only HDR10+, which is a first.

HDMI 2.1 perhaps later on this year, if not next year...2019.

CES 2018 comes up with interesting developments; it is strange that Panasonic OLED TVs which are considered the very best by some experts aren't available here on this continent.
LG OLED and Sony OLED are though, and with Dolby Vision support. ...From streaming and from some 30 or so 4K Blu-ray movie titles, and playable only from the Oppo and Cambridge 4K Blu-ray players. ...And now we can add the Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Blu-ray player which will be avail this Spring.

We have members from the USA, from Canada, from Mexico, from South America, from the UK, from France, from Europe, from Dubai, from Japan, from the Philippines, from China, from India, from Australia, from South Africa, from Hawaii, from Alaska, from all over the world here @ WBF. I don't feel restricted to US products and news, I am interested from the entire world when it comes to world music, films, news, audio/video products, turntables, cars, wines, and OLED.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing