Looking for speaker recommendations.

spars332

Jan 7, 2018
Hi All,

I am new here and hope to be able to contribute where I can. I've been into music and music equipment my entire life. Just starting to build a listening system for when I move into the home I am building currently.
I am looking for any recommendations for speakers to go with a Simaudio Moon Neo 220i. I listen to almost everything except Country music. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and welcome the the WBF! What is your budget for speakers? We range here from $150 pair to $150K per pair. If you are just starting, are you looking at an exclusively 2-channel or an HT type system? It sounds as if you want to know while building. Am I correct in this assumption?

Tom

spars332

Jan 7, 2018
Hi, and thanks for the welcome. Budget wise I'd like to be below 3k. This will be for exclusively 2- channel. I will also be doing a HT system once I get moved in though.

Brian

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Omega is another option. The only single driver maker worth much atm.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
It would be amiss to ignore Elac at that price range. WIth Andrew Jones at the helm it is worth exploring...

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Agree with both the SALK and ELAC recommendations. I hear SALK with Schitt at RMAF and though the sound was very nice. Plus the wood and finish on the speakers are gorgeous

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Vapor Audio is the best speaker I have used or heard at shows and I've had other great speakers including Salk, YG Acoustics and TAD Reference in my rooms over the years. I own the Nimbus myself now. Great if you use tube amps.

Here is one of my favorites, used. Retail is $8K on a new pair, maybe more with this finish:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149288.0

This 2-way beats most 3-ways. Great bass too.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Vapor Audio is the best speaker I have used or heard at shows and I've had other great speakers including Salk, YG Acoustics and TAD Reference in my rooms over the years. I own the Nimbus myself now. Great if you use tube amps.

Here is one of my favorites, used. Retail is $8K on a new pair, maybe more with this finish:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149288.0

This 2-way beats most 3-ways. Great bass too.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

That's a good deal! I'm not sure you'll find a better value than that new or used, just don't expect very high SPLs or low bass. They are excellent drivers in an excellent cabinet though. You can sacrifice SQ for more SPLs and bass, just depends on your preferences.

If you don't like those, for $3k I'd look used, get more bang for your buck...

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
A number of reviewers have Vapor speakers, including Doug Schroeder (Dagogo) and Rick LaFaver (Enjoy the Music).

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I would always buy used. If you spend just a little more (they sell for $3,500 - $4,000), you can get yourself used original Revel Studio's which is a screaming bargain. I tried a lot of speakers and my pair of $4K studios were the best value for money I owned. There is currently a pair listed on audiogon for $3,800. Offer $3,500 and see if the seller bites. The best part is, if you don't like them you resell at what you have into them.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Joseph Audio Pulsar (monitor) with single REL T7i sub. Retail just under $9K for combo. Amp friendly. Small physical footprint, very big, very musical sound.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Joseph Audio Pulsar (monitor) with single REL T7i sub. Retail just under $9K for combo. Amp friendly. Small physical footprint, very big, very musical sound.

while a great combo Gordon the Op wanted to keep it at or below 3k.

along the lines of Salk here is a 'bargain' speaker that plays well above it's price point ..........

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com

worth a listen .......

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing