High End 2018

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Juergen, what did you think of the Pnoes/BD4?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
the Pnoe BD4 is great, but this year the room was too small, last year with some distance the bass integtration of the big horn was better.

Regarding the century SPU I can confirm, even with Shibata the sound is like a real SPU, Leif from Ortofon explained, that the blend of wood and metal is the critical path to the SPU sound signature

mr-particle

Dec 20, 2012
Germany
the Pnoe BD4 is great, but this year the room was too small, last year with some distance the bass integtration of the big horn was better.

Regarding the century SPU I can confirm, even with Shibata the sound is like a real SPU, Leif from Ortofon explained, that the blend of wood and metal is the critical path to the SPU sound signature

For the Pnoe / AER BD4:
I have listened to them on Thursday for a short time and I was impressed about the livelike dynamic and also the frequency range they were covering. But the music played, when I was there, was Jazz with a small instrumentation which is working often well with sytems based on widerange drivers. My concern is, that they are often failing in the case of more complex music, for example symphonic music - at least this was my impression with 2 systems I have owned in the past.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Juergen, I know of two guys who absolutely rate the Pnoes. One has in excess of 250k lps. Yes, no typo. And they both absolutely rave about the Pnoes on the very material you express doubt on.

One of the reasons I don’t visit Munich is exactly this. Travel hundreds of miles to hear yet more music tailored to a presentation. What’s wrong with the exhibitors? Are they scared that a bit of Mars or Carmina Burana is going to scare the punters away?

mr-particle

Dec 20, 2012
Germany
Juergen, I know of two guys who absolutely rate the Pnoes. One has in excess of 250k lps. Yes, no typo. And they both absolutely rave about the Pnoes on the very material you express doubt on.

One of the reasons I don’t visit Munich is exactly this. Travel hundreds of miles to hear yet more music tailored to a presentation. What’s wrong with the exhibitors? Are they scared that a bit of Mars or Carmina Burana is going to scare the punters away?

Hello Marc,
Just to clarify, this was my opinion, not Jürgen’s.
Maybe he is on the same page, but don’t know.
But I agree with you, traveling to Munich is valuable for several things, but not for listening to the music at the show.
Best
Axel

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sorry about that LOL.
I learnt to my cost what 3 days of Munich diet of elevator Muzak can do to one’s soul .
Never again.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Ron I am looking forward to reading your report on the alternate High End show that your friend Achim took you to.
Seemed quite fascinating but I didn't find out about it until too late.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Just a few quick impressions of my visit to Munich 2018.
A very good show as ever but attendance on Friday seemed to be down and my hotel had noticeably fewer trade guests than on previous occasions. Retail sales generally in the UK last month were at a 22 year low. Other economies may be doing better but I wonder if the market is getting tighter with all the other competing demands on peoples' budgets.
Highlights for me included YG Acoustic speakers in service on three separate stands,
The Haileys were partnering the latest Playback Design offerings and combining very well with each other.
The Sonjas were playing on YG's own stand First time I have heard them and the sound fully bore out the very favourable reviews I have read of them.
My visit to the YG stand led me to the much smaller SME stand where they were exhibiting their new Integrated turntable due out in September at £15k in the uk. SME plug and play. Fitted with the SME IV arm. Nagra built in switchable phono stage, Ortofon MC Windfield PWTi cartridge, separate power supply and all factory configured with minimal set up.. Compact dimensions, belt drive and isolated suspension. An impressive concept IMHO and well attuned to the vinyl revival.
The Tidal - Vimberg Tondas looked and sounded very good. All the Tidal virtues at a more affordable 28k euros plus a less expensive Mino at 22k euros.
The new Estelon Lynx looked and sounded excellent with its own digital interface to facilitate streaming et al, Really quite innovative and worth checking out.
DCS Vivaldi sounding as good as ever but personally I wish they would ring the changes and show it with some speakers other than the big Wilsons. Not knocking the Wilsons but a bit of variety in the Vivaldis pairing would be a pleasant change.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Munich High-End 2018 WBF dinner:

509893D8-70AC-4073-9A79-3CAC8ABCD1FC.jpg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Swen at the far left and Justin in the middle on the right and Max in the front on the right.

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
It was a great get-together. Thanks everybody for the nice evening.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Any reports on the new Cessaro Zeta w choice of subs options?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey Ron - who is everyone in the photo then. Obviously I know yourself and Ked. Shakti has his name on the t-shirt :)

We took 6 takes and Ron finally posted the one where Justin looked the least mean

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
We took 6 takes and Ron finally posted the one where Justin looked the least mean

I see in pic you ordered more than everyone else.

You should pull in your belly a little when take a picture.

Tang:D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I see in pic you ordered more than everyone else.

You should pull in your belly a little when take a picture.

Tang:D

I had steak tartare, scallops, calfs liver with a lot of stuff, and apple strudel with cream.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked is obviously compensating for the control he showed in London when we ate out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing