New platter mat with positive results!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I realize this is not a super exiting earth shattering revelation here with all the amazing new equipment going on here lately, but I am going to share anyways.
Been thinking about platter mats lately and it started to hurt so I had to try something.
So I got up off my chair and went nude...sort of.
The stock felt that came with the Rega was deplorable and someone recommended a Herbies Record Mat. It was much better in many ways as far as sound, less static and there for less dust.
But so much life missing out of the music.
So I went nude!
First problem discovered, the damn taper on the Rega spindle (first picture) sticks up above the platter surface so the record does not sit flat.
OK, go get a sacrificial record and drill it out to sit flat as a temporary mat, well that worked fine with the exception of label relief.
For testing purposes it worked fantastic!
Got back so much dynamics and involvement not to mention high end and clarity, game changer!
I found this acrylic platter mat with a label relief online, got the countersink bit out and matched the spindle taper on the back side and off we go!
Soooo much life back in the music, drawing me back in, love it!
As I tell my wife all the time, if you are ever in doubt, GO NUDE!

The problem
20180105_204039.jpg

The cure
20180105_204056.jpg

The Magic!
20180105_204000.jpg
20180105_203953.jpg

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Mats do certainly have a profound effect so glad that you got an improvement with the new one.. Is that a Michell clamp too?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing